Coughing, wheezing and breathing

Body: 

Hi all

I have just discovered how to get on top of 'asthma', so I am no longer coughing a lot, and aggravating my prolapses. I have been able to stop using Ventolin completely, and have weaned off my preventative medication as well.

My Repiratory Physician was unable to figure out how to control my asthma after over two years of trying. Before Christmas I was using Seretide 250/50 twice a day and Ventolin, 4 puffs, usually twice a day every day. I was still continually wheezing and had a couple of major coughing episodes a day to get rid of mucous buildup. I had never been hospitalised, and never felt that I really couldn't breathe, so he is not sure that it was actually asthma, but that's another story. I decided to wean off the Seretide over a period of several weeks and play it by ear. The asthma did not get worse, but it did not get better either until I learned the Buteyko method. The rest is history.

Now, only a month later, I am now hardly wheezing at all, and don't have major coughing episodes every day. I no longer carry Ventolin with me. It is getting better all the time. My wallet has more money in it. The thrush has gone, and my skin no longer rips off in great lumps if I scratch myself with everyday chores. I have lowered my risk of cataracts and osteoporosis. I only wake once at night, if at all - a bit of a change from six to eight times a night before Christmas.

The secret was to learn to breathe differently with a method called Buteyko Breath Power. There are many sites on the Web. Look for your own country and do some research. My doctor said, "It is not scientifically proven". Do the reading and make up your mind for yourself. I now believe there 'may be' strong parallels between the asthma industry and the the gyno industry in keeping patients dependent.

The Buteyko method also stresses posture that is compatible with Whole Woman posture, which is great. It uses breathing from the diaphragm, a broad back, and tall neck, and some other non-postural techniques.

It claims further down the track to normalise a lot of health problems from sleep apnea, blocked sinuses, through allergies, obesity and blood pressure abnormalities etc. Some claims! I will wait and see with an open mind.

IF YOU DECIDE TO TRY THIS METHOD, DO NOT STOP TAKING YOUR PRESCRIBED ASTHMA MEDICATION.

Your Buteyko teacher will tell you to keep taking them. You may not get any encouragement from your doctor. My doctor said no natural therapies will help me, but he also said no natural therapies would harm me.

This is not a paid advertisement. It has been an amazing experience. I am now free of asthma, corticosteroids, long-acting broncho-dilators and reliever broncho-dilators. Some people still have to take some preventer medication, and even a little reliever. I am one of the lucky ones.

I won't be going back to see the respiratory physician again. I am free. I hope this will encourage others to explore this alternative treatment for asthma, which has drastically reduced the amount of coughing I do, so is also helping my prolapses.

Cheers

Louise

Thanks so much for this...whole woman means just that, and I'm always appreciative of this sort of important health tip.

Thanks for sharing! I'd like to look into it, as their website states it's beneficial for many conditions. Another method that helps with asthma is reflexology. I had severe asthma as a little girl, and reflexology got rid of it in one session. Basically, the reflexologist just deeply massaged the area around the ball of my foot (the area of your foot that corresponds to the lungs), which he said was really tight. Once he loosened it up, I was amazed at how I could suddenly breathe better... :D