Are you exercising the Whole Woman way?

Body: 

For some of you, this post will be stating the obvious. But I’m hoping that for some other, newer members here, this will serve as a good reminder, something that will help you see better results.

I often see posts where newer members ask and talk about Christine’s exercise routines. They may be exercising, but when pressed for details, they seem fuzzy on actual posture principles and may not even be practicing WW posture as they go throughout their day. I often remind people that this is more than an exercise program.

But I worry even more about HOW these same members are doing the workouts. If they are not clear on posture, they might not be in posture while doing the exercises. It is perfectly possible to do the same standing and walking moves that you are seeing in the videos, without being in correct posture. If that’s the case, then you really aren’t even doing a WW workout and you aren’t getting the benefits you could be.

I have often wished that there were more posture reminders in the sound tracks of the videos. For some of us, the phrase “maintaining all aspects of the posture” is sufficient reminder. But for others, the newer members who are still working to imprint this posture on their minds and bodies, I implore you to KEEP reminding yourself of the relaxed belly and pulled-up chest. Re-read the FAQs and look at the pictures. Go back to the book and informational parts of the videos and all of the information on this site. Protect your lumbar curvature at all times. And if you are working hard with the DVD’s, but have not yet nailed the actual posture, work extra-hard on that, to ensure you are bringing correct posture to your workouts. - Surviving

Forum:

Yes, surviving an important post. Posture is essential, it is the basic dynamic. I guess to young people it may sound a little passive especially if they are used to hard exercise. And especially if their posture has not been good previously for their whole muscular/skeletal structure is being made over and it's hard work. Fortunately, for me uterine prolapse usually involves some back ache, so if my back ache came on, I knew I was not in posture. Nothing like pain to make you aware you need to correct things.

I have been envisaging some type of triangular ruler which could be fitted to the lumbar curve to use as a reminder, but it would have to be made of something light and flexible and then it would have to be in at least three sizes:s,m,l and so on. And the more I think about it the more tired I get.

Yes Fab, I think you have described the issue perfectly with the word "passive". To some women, posture may seem to be too small of a solution to throw at this problem. And the exercises themselves may not satisfy some women's need to be doing something that makes them sweat and strain. They have stopped short in the process of understanding how all of this fits together, before they have had a chance to have their epiphany. They may walk around all day in bad posture, then pop in a DVD and exercise for awhile (in correct posture presumably, but maybe not....) and then go back to their lives of bad posture, and wonder why they aren't seeing results. - Surviving

Replaced the tv I used to do my workouts in front of and did a 2 mile walk in proper WW form. Feels GREAT!!! I missed my workout soooooo much.
I hope I will be able to continue!!

Pro12

Yes yes yes! When I finally kicked up my walking commitment a few notches, that was the beginning of HUGE improvement for me. Keep it up, Pro12!! - S60

I was doing a l lot of walking last winter into July up to 5 k a day. I wonder if it was too much and in the wrong posture?

I think it could have been a contributing factor if the posture was not correct. I too walked a lot and did yoga and had a basically good diet.....but, tummy pulled in and not WW posture. I believe that all contributes to our condition now. I think you will find that you can walk a lot, building up to it slowly, as long as the Ww posture is beautifully in place. Hope you are feeling better.....best wishes to you.

When I first started serious walking, I wasn't sure whether it was making things better or worse. I kept going. I slowed down my pace, did those long purposeful strides, paid close attention to every aspect of WW posture. One thing I did discover was that the longer the walk, the better I felt. If I was in a hurry and decided I only had time for a quickie, I would tend to hurry and not pay to much attention. The ultimate walk was a 3-hour morning hike last summer. I was symptom-free for the rest of the day. If I wasn't already a believer, I sure was after that. - Surviving

Hello ladies. I am very serious about the posture. I haven't even tried exercises yet. I have been getting down on my knees and elbows trying to put things in place. I feel pretty good in the morning (8 or 9am) but by 3pm or so, my back is very sore and I find sitting in posture or standing very tiring. I guess it will ease with time. I have only been doing this a few days. The more I think about this, I become angry with my doctor for not telling me the implications of this last year in my exam. She just said the bladder was down a bit but that it was normal and not to worry. Now this year the uterus is coming down as well. Nothing peaking yet so I am hopeful to get it under control. I would enjoy walking but wish I had discovered this in the spring rather than the onset of winter weather. Guess it is time for the heavy coat and bundling up. I am noticing that the cramping in the pelvic area is less when I let my stomach go forward. I also have less of the "heavy" feeling underneath. Thank you all.....

good post, surviving60. and I agree that it might seem that postural work isnt enough to do much. but the amazing thing is that even if that is all you do - stay in posture all day - it will help! walking in posture is tremendous for POP.

to petrified...I also had back pain/fatigue when I started the posture. remember you are using your body in ways you probably havent since you were a small child. some muscles are weak and others are tight. it takes time. but rest if you have to. the prolapse police are not going to come for you if you slouch a bit at 5 pm every day.
winter does make things hard, but have no fear. spring is coming, you will still want to walk in posture then too. if you have a nearby mall you can walk around indoors there before the shops open. lots of people do. or if you have stairs at home you can go up and down in posture a few times. that's a hefty workout too. I have a treadmill, which I hate, but at least it allows me to walk in inclement weather.

Hi Petrified

Great comments from Surviving and Granolamom.

Use the search box to look for topics and comments about coming down stairs. It can be hard on POP's as you have to straighten the lumbar curve and lean back a bit when tentatively finding the next step down. Coming down diagonally, ie half sideways, might be better than straight forward. It is also better to go up and down stairs where the riser is not higher than normal. High risers are worse than low risers on POP, eg don't do stepups and downs onto a kitchen chair. Do them onto a couple of thick telephone books instead, if you can't find suitable stairs.

Louise

I agree with Gmom about the treadmill. I would much prefer outside walking but it is frequently not an option for me. So treadmill walking beats no walking at all. I've recently set myself up to be able to watch movies while walking. By keeping the boredom at bay, I can walk for 2 miles without even a thought. This has been SOOOOO good for my posture, hips, spine, prolapse, mental state, stress level........... - Surviving

Hi granolamom! Your comment about the "prolapse police" really gave me a laugh just when I needed one! Still trying to get used to this new reality as I was just diagnosed at my gynecologists office on November 12th. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and am very depressed that I didn't just have a bad dream that this is happening. I am determined, though, and know that I will adapt. I do have stairs to climb in order to do laundry at home so maybe that will be of use in this journey. I let my son bring up the baskets for me. Thanks for the encouragement.

Thanks, louiseds, for the stair tips. My mom, who has severe prolapse (for about 15 yrs.) goes downstairs diagonally, like you said, and hadn't even known about this website at all. I don't know how she has done it all these years and I never really appreciated the immensity of her situation until I am now experiencing difficulties myself. I hope that even with her advanced stage that this site and the posture and video exercises can help her as well.

Hi Petrified

Your Mum has discovered the diagonal descent by herself! Good on ya, Mum! I just figured out in my brain that it might work, but your Mum has illustrated it for me in practice. This strikes me as supporting our theory that WW teachings are natural and self-evident. We just have to discover the keys to our own door.

I don't think we have previously discussed the diagonal descent technique for stairs. Congratulations to your Mum. She has just joined the exclusive club of women who have contributed to WW knowledge with an additional tool that works. This could make a lot of difference in future to women with POP who have difficulty with symptoms after descending stairs.

We could call it the Petrified Mom technique!

Louise

Thanks for the kind words for my mom, Louise. I never knew how brave she is. Everyone has been telling her she is silly and stupid for going all these years with the bladder down when she could've just "run in and had the surgery" to fix everything. I am glad that she didn't do it. I hope that even though she is in a severe state of prolapse, that the posture and exercises can still help her. She said that standing in the posture does make her feel more comfortable. She has terrible back pain and doctors told her that she had scoliosis, which is a severe curvature of the spine. When looking at the x-rays, it is evident that she has the same spine that we all have. I can't believe they told her that. And that she needed physical therapy to make her "stand up straight". Thanks again.

Petrified, so glad for both of you, that you found WW. This is really quite an amazing story. - S60

I to feel best after a long walk/hike and try to do it every day. I do have a question about plank type exercises. They do not put the body in an obtuse angle but not sure if they are okay?

I think they are fine and I should probably do them more often!

That makes me feel better. I am really concentrating on the WW posture and love your exercises in the first aid. Now that I am reading the book and am trying to understand how all the muscles effect the pelvis, your exercises really make such good sense! I stopped doing planks when I first noticed my POP symptoms but am feeling so much better I thought I would start again if it was okay.
You have changed my life in just 2 weeks and I am so grateful to you. I have told three women I know about your website and your work and hope they can find some relief and courage to do this!

I personally don't do them. They don't feel that safe to me. I found this in one description of plank pose: "Draw your pelvic floor muscles toward your spine as you contract your abdominal muscles." I'm not sure what the purpose or advantage would be, if not as part of a traditional core-strengthening type of workout. - Surviving

Better'core' exercises are those that make you stabilize your trunk while your limbs are moving. I personally love the exercises where the baton is overhead and the legs are moving as in the half moons and leg carries. Also carrying somewhat have loads for distance work well for strengthening the core. While practicing a plank you will only get better at planking. It doesn't give the best carry over into the activities of life. I hope this gives a bit of insight.
Cheers, Sigrun

Thank you Sigrun and Surviving...I guess planks are no longer WW approved! They are very "male" for sure (a man's favorite position - ha!)

A strong core is stiffened by intraabdominal pressure, and the only way to do that is to hold the abdominal wall out (pulled up), not sucked in.