yoga for prolapse

Body: 

I practice yoga regularly and and have Christine's video. However, I would like to know if someone could recommend a video/book/site of what asanas to perform and which to avoid if prolapse is present. I have been surfing the net and collecting my own information. It is very time consuming and the material I have gathered is at times contradictory. I know that squatting is not advisable. Some say boat pose is OK, others say it is not and so it goes.

Forum:

So many of us wish there was such a book (maybe a topic for Christine when she is longing for yet another challenge!). Yes, you will have to research and you will have to take note yourself what works and what doesn't. Have you been practicing the WW posture for a while now? That is the basis for all that we do. You do not want to put yourself in the boat pose or any position that is obtuse, because of the pressure and strain on the pelvic area. You do not want to pull in the tummy or tuck the tailbone (which was ever so present in the years of yoga study that I did). If you have an enlightened teacher, or you yourself are a teacher, then you could actually come up with a program that would be healthy for women (and that is all women, what is good for those of us with prolapse, will be good for all women). The problem with most yoga is that it was developed by men for men. I think that if you avoid all obtuse angles (and you will get some of this information from Christine's book---do you have it?) and you avoid that corset concept of pulling in the tummy area, then you should be okay with many postures. I look forward to hearing what the others say here. Christine actually has four DVDs now (the Prolapse, First Wheel, Second and Third) and there are a lot of yoga-based postures and movements in all of them. Best wishes to you!

Angelica - I think this depends on where you are with WW posture. If you are really expert on the posture and you understand the concepts, you are qualified to figure out which moves are good and which aren't. This comes with time, reading and studying Christine's work, and understanding your symptoms. You should already know about the obtuse angle issue that Ms. N. has mentioned. If you can't keep lumbar curvature in place, then the move is probably not good. The work that Christine has done to come up with safe yoga poses was meant to address these issues, especially for those still working on adopting posture. - surviving