Are there any successful surgery stories out there for prolapsed bladder?

Body: 

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the Whole Woman Village. Was diagnosed with prolapsed bladder last month. I am a very fit and active 54 year old woman. I had a natural childbirth at the age of 22, and my daughter weighed 9 lbs, 5 oz..... do not remember any bulging after delivery, but that was 32 years ago.

Two weeks after my recent diagnosis, I experienced an extremely painful bout of lower back pain. My Dr. said it was a pinched nerve and put me on prednisone (steroid) and heavy duty painkiller. Luckily, a week later, my back pain and swelling are gone. Of course, my Dr. didn't think there was any connection to the prolapsed bladder - scary to think how these medical professionals refuse to think outside the box.

Anyway, I've been reading the forum and can relate to the "newbies" anxiety. I am constantly wondering if I'll ever be the active woman that I once was. Will I ever be able to hike in the Shenandoah with my family again? If I maintain the posture, but push any activity too hard, will I have a relapse? I feel too young to have to be so "careful" about myself.

I've read all the literature about the failure rate of prolapsed bladder surgery - I believe it is 40 to 60 percent? Can't help wondering if there are 40 percent sucess rates out there, and what their life looks like post surgery.

Anyone out there like to comment?

Hi Penny and welcome. A cystocele is very manageable with the adoption and practice of Whole Woman posture. You may find some post-surgery comments on this forum if you search, but the few that I can think of are intended to warn you off of this strategy. That’s what we’re here for, what Christine has learned and passed on.

I started this work post-menopause 2-1/2 years ago. Last summer I hiked for several hours and my ‘celes never felt better. It’s the posture that does this. And it’s about so much more than prolapse. Hip and spine issues have been known to resolve quite well on this program. In fact, check out the Hips tab, which describes Christine’s current project.

Stick around, this is a great place to chart your future path! - Surviving

Keep in mind Penny, that any "success" stats you hear do not include any follow-up past the initial recovery, nor any of the inevitable and poor quality repeat surgeries that are happening.

There are certainly success stories out there. For sure.

What I can't risk is being one of the failures. You can't go back once you have the surgery. You just can't.

I guess that depends on what you consider a failure. If, after ten years, you may need repeat surgery, seems to me the quality of life you've lived for that ten years would be better than dealing with this on a day to day basis. Not sure what you mean when you say you can't go back? My problem is a prolapsed bladder, and I definitely wouldn't allow a surgeon to take out my uterus under any circumstances.

Penny, you can't go back because once they start removing and rearranging tissue, your pelvic support system and the dynamics of natural support are damaged beyond repair. Each successive repair takes more tissue, and there will be less to work with the next time around. Furthermore, there aren't too many surgeries that will give you a great quality of life for 10 years. Is it worth the risk to hope that you will be one of those?

A good place for you to start - the first video on the Video page (go to Resources tab). - Surviving

I know we hear very different messages from our OB or other medical practitioners. There are not many MDs out there who will talk in depth about the real risks involved in pelvic repair.

When a woman has a repair and then has another repair 10 years later, I can almost guarantee you that she wasn't symptom free for those 10 years. There is a gradual redevelopment, or even sudden redevelopment of symptoms until they again decide to go under the knife. They might wait years before having that second surgery even though they have symptoms. We don't know.

My girlfriend had a total failure of a cystocele repair and has no intention of ever having another surgery because she is fearful. I don't know how they fit her case into statistics, but if she really can avoid further surgery and she is counted as someone who never has a repeat procedure is she a success?

Again, just one case. But, I bet she isn't unique.

When I had my first day of prolapse I was ready for surgery! It wasn't until I read about the procedure and the risks (from places other than this forum, too) and talked to my surgeon that I decided surgery just wasn't for me.

This is your decision: bottom line.

Hi Dear Pennymargarita,
(((hugs))) - your WWoman journey starts with reading as suggested by Surviving 60.

I was luckily put off surgery by my gyne's arrogance, string of unnecessary surgery requests by him & shockingly coercive tactics to have further surgery resulting from procedures he was proposing.... & that would have been just the beginning...

I have found this Whole woman way of living means the LIBERATION from commonly held beliefs in society like the above mentioned surgery (shudder) , conventional pelvic floor exercises, not to mention other exercise programs (shudder) & conventional posture which is unnatural and leads to back, prolapse, hip problems - hip replacement - another horror (shudder) & spine problems now & in the future...

This year I have experienced the best discovery of my life as a woman.
Christine Kent
(I am forever grateful & I waited 17yrs to find Christine & her work)
Best wishes to you in your journey...
(((hugs)))
Aussie Soul Sister

The reasons to avoid surgery are all over this website and forum, in Christine’s book, videos and articles, stated and restated in every conceivable way. They need not be debated here; we have no need to defend our position which is based on Christine’s years of researching, teaching and doing, not to mention the many grateful members of this community who are living their lives without fear or limitation. We can point you to all of this information, and you can read and watch it for yourself. You can continue researching surgery if that is a path you are considering. If you are looking for a non-surgical way to manage prolapse and save your hips and spine and future quality of life, that is to be found right here. - Surviving

Seemed so simple to me.....just put the bladder back in place and stitch it......not so easy......my obgyn was not in a hurry to do surgery and she stated within (within? what is that) 10 years I would need more surgery....she also stated the risks and said that an orgasm was in the person mind......that most woman have problems orgasming afterwards. Not that having sex is everything but I would like to continue to enjoy it. I have no quality of life right now but in time I am hoping that the WW is going to help me. I to was very active and want to get back to some part of that life. I know two woman who had surgery and they were worse off right afterwards and have not gone back because they figure they are better off as they are (what a choice). All I know I am lucky to have found this web site and I am able to afford the video's and book. I want to give it a try and see what happens. 16 years ago I was hemorrhaging my choice then was to have a hysterectomy or go on the pill....I was lucky I went on the pill and had all these wonderful side effects I was able to think again, lost 15lbs because I had more energy, I was happier. Everyone is different. I am glad I did not loose my uterus and hoping that Christine's work will help me. Time will tell and I am going to give it time. Good luck to you it is very hard time in our life but hopefully it is just a turn in the road.

Well let us know how you make out if you choose surgery. I would like to know how it turns out.