7 Weeks Postpartum, Needing support

Body: 

Hello,

I am almost 7 weeks postpartum, and diagnosed with a 'moderate' cystocele and 'mild' rectocele (I guess that's stages 2 and 1, respectively?). I discovered this around 5 or 6 weeks pp. As I'm sure you can relate to, I have been devastated, and dealing with a lot of fear and feeling like I'm disgusting.

My story is a pretty long one, gynecologically. I am 33 and have had Vulvodynia since my teens. I get pain around my vulva which makes sex difficult, and is just generally sucky. I was also diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, often hand in hand with Vulvodynia, in my 20's and went to physical therapy for a year with little change. I have had multiple surgeries for ovarian cysts and also have IC. At some point, I was also diagnosed with a very mild cystocele, nothing bothersome.

I was always afraid I wouldn't be able to be pregnant or carry a baby due to all my various issues, but I did, and had a good pregnancy. My labor was relatively standard. About 19 hours total, had to be given Pitocin to speed it up, had about 2 hours of pushing, got an episiotomy. I thought all was going well postpartum until I felt a bulge just inside my vagina, and could see it with a mirror. I knew right away what it was. Went to my OB, got my cele's confirmed. She did say that my uterus was in it's correct place, thankfully. She did not give me really anything I can do about it. She said that kegals are not really very useful. That if it gets to the point where I become incontinent, I can have surgery. But I should be done having kids if I decide to so that.

At this point I'm just freaked and depressed about it. The only real symptom I have is a little bit of heaviness down there. But I walk around all day waiting for my insides to fall out of me, and so scared it's going to happen. I'm trying to adapt to the posture best I can but it's difficult and I keep forgetting.

One of my biggest questions is about exercise. I really want to shed the last 10 pounds of pregnancy weight. I used to run before getting pregnant, but stuck to the elliptical during pregnancy (up till the day I went into labor!). I want to start working out again now that I'm past 6 weeks, but I'm scared of what I can do - I don't want to aggravate the prolapses. Is running out? What about the elliptical? Yoga? I also just ordered a workout DVD - is that safe?

Second concern = sex. Can I really have sex with this? It's so damn freaky. My husband has been supportive and says it's no big deal, but I haven't gone to much into gruesome detail describing it to him. I already have vulvodynia which usually makes sex somewhat uncomfortable or painful, and now this.

I'm trying not to sink into a depression over this. I've been through years upon years of dealing with gynecological issues. But I have to say, this is the worst. It's been pretty traumatic. How do you deal with this feeling of heaviness and the fear that something will fall out?

thanks for listening, Nicole

Welcome to this wonderful forum and Congratulations on the birth of your baby. Take a deep breath, try to relax, yes, you are going to be okay. You want to study the posture and take hold of it. If you find yourself forgetting, just vow to remember. You want to relax your belly, uplift your chest, crown of the head uplifted, and breath into your belly. Do not tuck your tailbone or pull your tummy in. This posture will help you to reposition your organs and to strengthen. If I were you, I would wait on any exercise now that is not Whole Woman exercise. You are only 7 weeks PP and at this time, the most important thing is to gain strength again, rest, walk in WW posture, enjoy that baby. The last 10 lbs will come in time, try not to rush that. Have you ordered yet Christine's book and her DVDs? there are four dvds and all of them are wonderful. the second wheel is particularly good for postpartum. I ordered the whole bundle and am thrilled that I did. Sex is no problem for prolapse as long as you can communicate to your partner in case something is not comfortable for you. Most men do not notice any of our changes with POP. If you think it would be helpful, Lanny has an article here on this site which is excellent and directed to the husbands or partners. Browse around here and put questions into the search box and post as many questions as you want. You are not alone, we have all gone through the fear and panic. You are going to be okay and the first step will be to commit to this new posture. Give your body time to recover from all that it has done and take your first steps to bringing a new beautiful posture into your life. I send you much love and best wishes.

Wow. In 2008 I was in just about the same place you are now. It's a dark place, don't I know it. I've come a long way and you can too. Track my posts, read my success story. There is absolutely no way your insides can ever fall out. For exercise, start with walking -- every day -- in whole woman posture, and then build on it. Soon there will be nothing you can't do without a little mindfulness about your body alignment. Sex -- possible and enjoyable. I do not have experience with vulvodynia (have you tried acupuncture for this??) but can honest say that prolapse is not interfering at all in my very satisfying sex life. Seven weeks pp is so, so early. Honey, it takes about 2 years for your body to revert from pregnancy and birth. Tons of healing is in store for you! I repeat, it is anatomically impossible for your pelvic organs to fall out. So take a deep breath, invest in yourself with this Whole Woman method, and look forward to the rest of your life!!

Hi Caterpillar - We have all been at that scary place where you are now, where you think that life as you know it is over. Well, not so. But you have work to do! It can be joyous work in which you learn to love and appreciate your body in ways you didn't know about.

Is a workout DVD safe? Well, for you right now, if it is not one of Christine's, then no. It isn't. It will tell you to suck in your gut and tuck your butt under and probably assume some body positions that are designed to pull your pelvic organs in completely the wrong directions. You must first learn this posture and make it your own. Then and only then can you judge what's safe and what's bad. And you will never be able to completely avoid some "bad" from time to time. None of us can stay in perfect WW posture every second of every day. But you need to acquire these tools before you do anything else.

If you have not already, go to the Resources tab and look for Videos. Watch the first video which is an overview of Christine's work and explains how we got into this suck-and-tuck pickle in the first place, and how to get back the true female posture that supports our organs.

This has been life-changing for me. I wish that I'd known about it at your age. You may be feeling a bit helpless and lost right now, but you have found your way here and things are about to turn around for you. Good luck, work hard. - Surviving

Wow, I appreciate your thoughtful and heartfelt replies. I cant tell you how much I need this right now. Given my history of gyn issues nothing surprises me but its still so upsetting. I'm trying to focus on my baby because she was worth the prolapse. You mention my body still has healing to do at 7 weeks pp......is it possible that over time my prolapses will retreat a little?

I'm trying to do the posture (New Years resolution). I want to order either the WW book or the first aid Dvd. I cant really do the bundle, with Christmas money is a little tight. Which would u ladies recommend as a better resource?

I'm so focused on exercise because I'm the type of person who has to work out for stress relief (nevermind losing the baby weight) . I want to walk, but with a 7 week old baby, 4 stepkids and 2 dogs to take care of its hard to leave the house. I have an elliptical at home. I'm wondering if I go slow and try to keep the posture if that would be safe? I have gone on it a few times postpartum but not since discovering the prolapse.

Thank you also for the advice on sex. Im still not able to (tried but had pain I think from my episiotomy) . Thankfully my husband is supportive and mature and only wants what's best for me......but I do want to try and maintain a sexual relationship.

Again thank you all! All feedback is soooooo welcome right now!

Hi Cat - yes you absolutely do have lots of PP healing ahead of you. The prolapse could retreat some on its own even if you don't do anything. But if you adopt posture now, you're giving yourself the best chance for good results now AND later. It is so worth it....can't stress it enough.

I started with just the book. I soaked it up like a sponge and still keep it by my bedside 2-1/2 years later. The next thing I got was the First Aid DVD. Not only to get a better understanding of some of the moves (like firebreathing) but also for the additional prolapse overview that you get with that DVD that you don't get if you jump right to the Yoga DVDs. I acquired each of those in turn, and I love them not just for the moves but for the wonderful women's wisdom they contain. I now have and love the whole collection, but if you're acquiring things one at a time, I think this sequence works best.

The 2nd yoga is excellent for post partum. But I wouldn't necessarily skip over First Aid to get it. There is so much knowledge here, it takes time to absorb.

Anything you can do with lumbar curvature in place (once this has become a posture you can hold naturally) is probably safe. And you don't want to be leaning forward with your body at an obtuse angle. I'm a walker, and don't have an elliptical so I don't have the best answer on that.

You're on your way, girl! Best of luck to you. - Surviving

Thank you so much! The feedback from you ladies is priceless. Maybe I will start with the book then and read that first.

I tried my elliptical today and found I was able to keep the posture pretty well. My lower back is achey from holding the posture for the past few days but I suppose my body will adjust.

My vote would be for the DVD -- includes exercises, and probably is more "digestible" for a mother of 5!

I'd go for the First Aid For Prolapse DVD first. The workout is split into bitesize pieces, perfect if you stand a high risk of being interrupted after five mins. Just a little bit each day is good both mentally and physically.

Thank you for the advice. Im trying to get through each day without obsessing too much although I find myself checking my prolapse like 20 times a day. I keep freaking that it will be worse.

Pull up into posture - see Ms. N's first post. And stop checking. - Surviving

ladies, how long does it take for the posture to start working? I've been doing it for about a week or so, and feel the same, maybe even a little more pressure. I don't expect miracles, but just curious.

For me it took about two weeks to begin to feel that I had the posture going pretty well. The soreness in my back and hips left me around that time. Within 6 weeks I began to have moments when I was without POP symptoms. I am about seven months here now and things are still improving. We all are different but if you are using the posture always when up and about, and always always relaxing the tummy and breathing into the tummy (not shallow chest breathing) , you are well on your way. Best wishes to you.

I just looked at your history and see that you have been here for five+ years....wow. Have you been using the posture all of this time?

Oh dear, yes indeed. Talk about a missed opportunity! Cat, you could have been years into this work by now, but instead it looks like you never got started at all. Well, there's no time like the present. - Surviving

Yeah I had a slight prolapse years ago but had no symptoms and I never got into the posture. But do you think the posture would have prevented worsening of my prolapses from childbirth? I kind of feel like regardless, this would have happened. And I cant go back in time so I'm trying not to focus on what could have been different. :-(

Hey Caterpillar, I forgot to congratulate you on your new baby. Yes, of course WW techniques will work with a more serious prolapse, but it doesn't come with a guarantee, for any of us.

At 7 weeks postpartum you are at a stage where your POPs may get worse for a few months, before the real reversion from pregnancy kicks in. This is simply what happens post birth. We don't know why.

In the second half of this year and the following year you will experience a lot of improvement, because that is what happens after a pregnancy and birth. You can help this along, and prevent further damage by using your posture and adapting your activities to keep your organs from pressing into your vagina. You can read all about postpartum prolapse using the Search box. You have probably already done this.

The choice is yours, Caterpillar. You can either throw your heart into Whole Woman work, as we have encouraged you to, or you can keep on doing nothing, and get no results. Unfortunately, it is as simple as that. Whole Woman techniques can not be done in a half-hearted way and expect results. There are so many aspects to it that just doing one thing is not likely to have much effect.

We cannot tell you if *your* prolapse would have worsened anyway, even if you did do WW techniques religiously, but I know that the progress of *my* prolapses stopped in its tracks as soon as I got started seriously with WW techniques. You have to find this out for yourself. Nobody can do it for you.

What are you waiting for? Don't worry. Nobody is watching to see if you succeed or fail. This is your personal work, to do the best you can with it. If you give it all you've got, and you don't have significant improvement within a couple of years, or don't at least stop it from getting worse, then you can re-assess your options and decide what to do from there. It must have taken some courage to come back for another try. Good on you. :-)

We can only put possibilities in front of you, Caterpillar. If Christine's book and DVD's and our suggestions don't work, then you will have to try whatever else is available, which isn't much. This in itself is good reason for really giving WW techniques a big effort.

Good luck. Keep us posted with your progress. There is a new year starting in a few days. Make it a good one!

Louise :-)

Hi Louise, thank you for your response. Its good to know that my body will likely continue to heal for awhile. My doctor made it seem like I was done recovering after 6 weeks. The reason I have been posting here is because I am trying to learn the whole woman posture and philosophy. I obviously know that noone can do it for me.....the questions and concerns I wrote about are to get a feel for the posture, how to encorporate it into my life and how to tell if its working. I'm not sure how you got the impression that I'm doing this half hearted - I ollnly found out about my prolapses less than 2 weeks ago. Maybe its because I mentioned I was diagnosed with a mild prolapse a few years ago? To explain that a bit, I received that diagnosis along with about 3 other gynecological diagnoses that I had to have surgery for. After surgery my doctor told me that either my prolapse corrected itself ir I never truly had one to begin with (in hindsight makes no sense but oh well) . So I thought it was a misdiagnosis, therefore I assumed that any treatment for prolapse didn't pertain to me. Which is why I never integrated it in my life.

But now things are obviously different and I'm aware I need to start following these guidelines. The questions I posted are just for clarity since I'm essentially a newbie to this. Thanks very much for your concern and feedback. I have been so relieved to get such quick and thoughtful responses to my situation.

Hi Caterpillar

I remembered your username from some time ago, so I assumed, obviously wrongly, that you already knew quite a bit about the Whole Woman techniques, and about the WW posture, and that you didn't really follow through with all the techniques at the time. Of course, now you have a new baby it is a different situation, but with the same techniques to reduce your symptoms.

You can find out about most things by trawling and Searching these Forums but you will get a much better idea of how to do it all from the book, Saving the Whole Woman, and the DVD, First Aid for Prolapse. If cost is a problem you could save for these materials slowly, one at a time, or see if they are in a library system that you have access to. If you think of what is at stake, the cost of these materials is very small over your life time. I look on them as an investment in my health, rather than a once off cost that I will only benefit from once.

There are WW practitioners now in New York, Pennsylvania, UK near London, Western Australia, and of course, Christine in Albuquerque. Hands on is definitely the best way to learn WW posture.

BTW, yes, the six week checkup is one of those myths. It is for the *doctor* to sign off on the birth process and make sure that all is well with mother and baby, that you have considered your contraception needs post pregnancy. ie, that s/he has finished their Ob job.

All women will experience a degree of 'pelvic laxity' after a full term pregnancy and birth. This is when their body has finally 'matured'. Some women experience no further problems with prolapse, or not for a very long time. Often postpartum POP does not become obvious until after the six week checkup, and any POP prior to that will resolve to a degree in time. There is really no point in Obs drawing more attention to pp POP than necessary. To be flippant about it, this is why Ob's usually practise as Gyn's for older women as well.

In spite of the fact that they say that vaginal birth is the main risk factor for POP, they don't regard postpartum POP as related to the birth. As it often it doesn't even become apparent until after the six week checkup, so the Ob remains oblivious to it until the woman returns, often years later, saying that the laxity continued and turned into POP. He then takes off his Ob hat, and puts on his Gyn hat. Sadly, surgery (and sometimes pessaries) are the only solution that Gyn world can offer a woman, and a woman who is still having babies is not a good candidate for surgical repair. I think this is why they don't even raise surgical repair with a woman who has only just had a baby, and will probably have more.

Simple POP is not a life threatening condition. There is really no reason why an Ob needs to raise it. Often it will revert to a degree of normality that is acceptable to the woman within 2 years of her last birth, without his intervention, but that is a bit of a cop out on the Ob's behalf if her pelvic laxity does turn into full blown POP.

I am afraid that POP is still stigmatised and not spoken about widely enough. A lot of heartbreak would be saved if society was more accepting of it, and was willing to support women with POP instead of sweeping them under the carpet. It is really up to women to challenge Ob Gyns to speak about it openly and to answer women's questions honestly and openly. It is up to women to talk to other women about it, as you did, Caterpillar, withthe women in your family. Only then will the stigma begin to evaporate. Hopefully your aunts are now better informed, and can better inform other women they speak with.

To all women with POP, this has happened to you through no fault of your own, so there is no need to feel ashamed or guilty about it. I know that saying that doesn't wipe the shame and guilt away, but we need to affirm that it is not our fault, and seek to use whatever resources we have at our disposal to normalise it, and heal the symptoms and ourselves, simply because so many women are affected by it. Then the shame and guilt will lose their power over us. They will simply evaporate like a puddle on a sunny day.

Louise

Hi Cat - Christine teaches that the root cause of prolapse is postural, and those of us who have studied her work and incorporated it into our lives know that this is true. That being said, there are many many things that will affect when and how and to what degree it manifests itself......personal habits, diet, childbirth practices and interventions.....No one can say what your course of prolapse would have been if you had adopted posture years ago when you first learned about it from the wonderful women here.

I had very large babies, and I felt bulgy after each birth. It never would have occurred to me to look at my vagina or ask the doctor why I felt this way - what else would one expect after passing a 10-pound watermelon? My bulges went away, and I went back to sucking and tucking and doing my Jane Fonda workouts.....ALL the wrong moves for pelvic support. Approaching menopause, the symptoms were there, and a few years afterwards, WHAM.

With what I have learned here, I'm convinced that my bad posture and exercise habits were the cause of my prolapse. I would love to have learned about and started this work post-partum, or even before having a baby at all. So, yes, I feel that you missed quite an opportunity, and yet, you have another one right now. You are still healing post-partum and that's a great time to incorporate this knowledge. You will need it for the rest of your life. This isn't just about prolapse, but about the health of hips and spine as we age. It is huge. - Surviving

thank you for the advice and information ladies. It's very helpful to be learning about this now. I, of course, wish that I would have encorporated things more a few years ago, but it is what it is and I just have to deal with it. It is good to know that my body will continue to heal after childbirth. My doctor basically did exactly as you said Louise - gave me the contraception speech and a quick check and that's it. If I hadn't brought the prolapse to her attention I don't think she would have found it, since they seem to recede when I lay down.

My 'prolapse' in 2008 was a very weird and confusing experience. What happened was I had been having pelvic pain, and I searched around 'inside' one day and felt something pressing into my vagina. I freaked out, and went to a Pelvic pain specialist I see in PA (for my vulvodynia). Long story short, after lots of tests and procedures they did not see a prolapse, but found a large ovarian cyst that was supposedly pushing into my pelvis. I was also diagnosed with Intersitial Cystitis and Floor Dysfunction. I had surgery to remove the cyst and do a hydrodistention on my bladder. Post surgery something opened inside of my and I had massive internal bleeding that almost killed me. I was out of commission for several months after that, and when I went back to the doctor they said I 'may' have had a mild cystocele but that it seems to go away, or I may have never had it. It was assumed that once the pressure from the cyst was gone, any prolapse I had went away. So, I put the idea of prolapse out of my head - after all I went through with my surgery I just didn't question it. Maybe I should have.

I'm curious - where are the Whole Woman providers in NY and PA? I live in New Jersey and would be interested.

thanks again for all of your insight and explaining things to me, it's very helpful.

Check the Practitioners tab. There's Carol in the Phila area, and Paula in Brooklyn - Surviving

PS - what is hydrodistention surgery?

Hi, the hydrodistention procedure is used to diagnose Interstitial Cystitis, which is a condition where you get inflammation of the bladder, causing urinary symptoms that can mimic UTI's. There are 2 parts to the procedure. First, your bladder is inflated with water to see how it fills/empties. Then a piece of the bladder wall is biopsied to examine the lining for inflammation.

thank you for the resource, I will check out the practitioners tab.

Caterpillar, The bleeding would have been very scary for you. I can see where you are coming from, now. Stay with us.

Louise

Thank you. I ordered the book, Dvd and second yoga Dvd. I look forward to getting them.