cinnamon and the postpartum uterus

Body: 

Good morning wise women!

Anyone ever heard of cinnamon being good for cleansing the postpartum uterus? Drinking/eating a LOT of cinnamon postpartum seems to be the tradition here and any time I visit a newly postpartum friend, I am served either a glass of cinnamon tea topped with chopped walnuts or a bowl of rice flour + cinnamon + caraway pudding topped with walnuts, almonds, and coconut. Any time I ask why, I get the same answer- why, don't you know? Cinnamon helps cleanse the woman's uterus after birth.

I've googled and found nothing. Just want to see if there's something substantial behind this claim before I start consuming copious amounts of cinnamon.

Hi Chickaboom, I know nothing of the tradition of cinnamon postpartum, but I think congratulations are due! Please tell us more!

To encourage you to tell us more, here is a page about cinnamon!! http://www.henriettesherbal.com/eclectic/ellingwood/cinnamomum.html

Louise

Hiya Louise! Thanks for the link, how interesting. So in 1919 it was written that- "It certainly restores tone to the uterine muscular structure and induces tonic contraction. It will also, Hale says, moderate hemorrhage not dependent on plethora, anemia or organic uterine disease. In some cases, during labor, it promotes the normal labor pains and materially increases uterine contraction, and prevents post-partum hemorrhage."

So it was used during labor as well to promote contractions. Hmmm. Well in any case there's some kind of old relationship there between cinnamon and the uterus, it seems.

No, no birth yet, I still have a good two months to go! I've been relatively quiet during my pregnancy and its implication on prolapse, simply because there's nothing to report. I know the postpartum period will bring with it some sagging and bulging again so I'm enjoying this period while it lasts.

Hi Chickaboom, Hope the remainder of your pregnancy goes well. Just for the record, how are your prolapsed organs behaving at 7 months gestation?

If you have a lot of friends who offer you cinnamon tea on a regular basis it might be worthwhile not drinking *too* much of it on a daily basis, until your baby is ready. Moderation in everything.

BTW, I just went to Livestrong.com to see what they had to say about cinnamon tea and pregnancy. I found an article, but it was illustrated with an image of another spice; the name escapes me. This spice does not have a lot of layers in each roll, like cinnamon does. It crumbles, if you use a hammer, rather than crushing into long, thin pieces quite easily. It smells a bit like cinnamon, but is distinctly different when you compare the two. I have mistakenly purchased it in a poorly lit oriental deli, as cinnamon. Cinnamon is quite expensive, so I was ripped off, and I don't know what the effect would be of drinking this spice during pregnancy.

Like all things straight from nature, that you do not know the source of, sometimes all is not as it seems.

Im not sure what state they are in! No news is good news, right? I am a bit squeamish to go around looking down there at this time in pregnancy especially since I experienced some cramping the last time I went hunting for my cervix a few months ago. Things are quite a bit swollen down there at this time and i think that is taking care of the airy and bubbly feeling I used to get which was one of my most annoyiong symptoms, really. And my uterus is higher up of course and has pulled the other organs upwards as well. I am not doing any exercises, just posture all the time. I am a stay at home mom with my little ones so if I am not cooking and cleaning, I am spending time with them on the rug. I never sit on couches or chairs even (so uncomfortable how they squish my organs and growing uterus). An unexpected benefit to posture, I have found, is stronger, more toned back, buttocks, and thighs. I think PROPERLY carrying the ever increasing weight load during pregnancy is a 24/7 workout!

I know the prolapse and accompanying symptoms is bound to be back again after delivery but I know what to do (and not do) this time postpartum.

Cinnamon- unless I find out anything else about it, I think I will just stick to red raspberry leaf tea for now. Thanks.

No news is indeed good news! This is exactly what is supposed to happen during pregnancy. No, I don't think we are meant to spend too much time investigating the vulva area during pregnancy. It is quite different from normal, and can be a bit scary. I remember having a look with a shaving mirror late in my second pregnancy, when I had a lot of pressure in my vulva. Holey moley! Never again. I didn't look at all during my third pregnancy, and was just fine. ;-)