exercises and fire breathing

Hi ladies. Received my book and dvd finally. Still really struggling emotionally and physically. I was hoping to get a few answers if possible. First of all, the posture in the beginning exercises of sitting on your legs with your feet flat , I cannot do. This is the position for the pelvic rocks ect. How should I sit to do these? I am not sure what to do. I can sit in that position with my toes bent only.
My other question is for the fire breathing. I cannot hear the breathing in the video and it doesn't really say in the book if the exhale is one long breath or not. I decided to go to pelvic physio and my therapist knew about fire breathing but, when she showed me how to do it, she puffed very hard about four times on the exhale. I am very confused and would like to make sure I am doing it the proper way.
I would just like to say that although I seldom post, the information and support I have found in this forum has helped me so much to try to deal with this unheard of, life changing prolapse.
Thank you all from the bottom of my heart!!!

Hi and welcome, Ontarian,

I do pelvic rocks and other exercises sitting on soles of my feet because the pelvis is maximally extended on the spine in this position. When cross-legged, the lumbar curvature is more difficult to maintain due to the extreme external rotation of the hips. Alter your seated position for pelvic rocks, etc by sitting on an exercise ball, tall cushion or even a straight back chair with a firm seat. That you are able to keep full lumbar curvature is what is important.

Whole Woman Firebreathing and the traditional yogic "breath of fire" are not the same thing.

In WWFB, breathe in through your nose as you lift your tailbone and let your belly come forward, and breathe out through pursed lips (:-o) as you tuck your tailbone and pull your belly in toward your spine. One long breath in, one long breath out.

Thanks for posting and hope you will gain the understanding and peace of mind soon (it takes a while) that you are in charge of your condition.

Christine

Hi Christine,
Thank you so much for such a prompt reply!!
I will try out the exercises again tomorrow. They looked so easy until I tried them. Never knew how horribly stiff I have become.
I had a feeling the physio therapist was doing the breathing wrong but was so excited that she was aware of your fire breathing. I will inform her on my next appt. I'm not sure about the physio but felt it was the least invasive positive help I could find at this point.
Had a cry at my inability to do the exercises, feeling I can't even help myself. Can't believe how finding out I have a cystocele and rectocele when I had never heard of them before, has crashed my world. Really wished I had never looked to see what that lump was.
Thank you so much for the kind and promising words as well
Victoria

Hi Victoria,
Sometimes the questions we ask, help many.
It was great that you asked it. I have been trying to master my FB, and Christine's explanation reminded me about the tailbone tuck. Sometimes we can get all but one element of an exercise, and it just takes reading it again, or said in a different way that something finally clicks. After reading it I tried again and a definite improvement in the result.
I have been at this for sometime, it takes time and patience, but you can g.et there.
I find the sitting with bent knees easier if I put a small cushion under my bottom. I still get the proper lumbar curve and it just protects my less flexible knee joint.
Now that I have been doing the DVD for a year the improvement in my strength and stability is really noticeable. You will see it with time if you commit to it. Good luck
Lindy

Ontarian, when any of us tries a new type of physical exercise, we all experience degrees of discomfort, and the feeling that it seems impossible! However, with diligent practice, and giving ourselves a little treat every time we succeed, we can teach our bodies and our brains new tricks. I have seen ultra fit people do a new form of exercise, and be aching the following day. Who would believe it?

You are quite normal!

Just don't make yourself suffer by going too hard at it, and putting yourself off. Take it bit by bit. It is a gradual process.

It is not like, go on this diet and you will lose 20lb, or do 50 of these exercises and lose 15cm off your waist in 6 months. WW exercises are to gradually make your body stronger, give you better balance, more flexibility, and more ability to do the things that you want to do, and the strength to make WW posture easy, pleasurable and automatic. There are no prescriptions for how many of each exercise you should do, or how often. Obviously, doing them every day is better than once a week or once a month. It is not magic. It is just doing them.

Louise

Hi Ontarian. I just want to add my two cents about exercise and WW posture. It is not the end of the world if you can't do an exercise, and you can modify any move as Christine has suggested. What is most critical is that you are staying in the posture all day long. If you can stand, walk and sit in good WW posture, then you are doing this work all the time, which is what we all need to be doing. It will become effortless and habitual if you work at it. This posture is not just for exercising, it is for all day every day! Take heart! - Surviving

Thanks soooo much for everyones responses. Really went over the dvd slowly and tried the modified sitting position today. Again watched the dictionary of movements. I still can't believe how simple and easy the exercises look until you try them.
I really appreciate the advise and support given. Don't know why I am being hard on myself and trying to rush everything. Glad to have those things pointed out to me.
The posture is coming along. Amazing when you actually pay attention, what you find you are doing without knowing it. I seem to walk around going " I don't know " . Making a joke as I always seem to have my shoulders up to my ears. Being aware is making a big difference.
Taking a deep breath and taking it slow.
Victoria

Hello, Ontarian. I am fairly new here. I found it difficult to sit on my feet also. I didn't think I would ever be able to do it but one of the other exercises seemed to help. I think that I had no flexibility in my feet. Doing the exercise of going up and down on my toes from the second half of the beginning workout seemed to help a lot and soon I was able to sit back on my feet to do the kegels. I still can't put my feet out in front and bend my head down to my knees but hopefully I can go a bit more each day.

Ontarian, it does take time to get your shoulders to relax while the chest is lifted. Try getting your diaphragmatic breathing working smoothly, and you might find it easier to relax your shoulders.

Hi Petrified. Good to hear about your improved foot flexibility. I can't get my head anywhere near my knees when my feet are out front. Just do what you can each day. In a couple of years you might get there, but don't push it. The flexibility has to come mostly from your hip joints, rather than all from your lower spine. Actually, my belly gets in the way! ;-)

I am confused. I thought Christine said NOT to practice Kegels yet I have read a couple of comments stating that they were performing them? To do or not to do, that is the question?

They are the "new Kegels" and you can find them here in resources if you look about. They are not the typical kegels but something that will really help us. You can also search new kegels and I think they will come up with a link. Best wishes to you

That you for answering my question and the best to you, MsNightingale.

The "new kegels" article and demo are on the Blog tab up above. - surviving

Hello Lindy:
I am a new member and this is my first post. I just turned 70 and have had five children and two miscarriages. I discovered my prolapse about four years ago and just put off the idea of doing something about it. Saw a surgeon and starting reading about mesh surgery and realized there was no way I was going to allow that. You mentioned a video and I apparently don't have the right one. I only have the music CD that came with the book. What is the title of the video so I can order it. Trying to understand the exercises out of the book is not working for me. Thanks so much to everyone for the information I am getting in reading the posts. I don't know of anyone else personally with this problem so its very nice to have "friends" here to talk to.
Blessings,
Grammy9

Welcome to this site! You want to order the DVD called "First Aid for Prolapse". Remember to go at your own pace here. Take a little at a time so that your body has time to digest and adjust. How are you coming with the WW posture? That is really the basis for all that we do here. The dvd will support and help you to own that beautiful posture. Best wishes and post those questions!

Hi Grammy and welcome! Yes, do pick up the "First Aid for Prolapse" DVD. I too started out with the book and to this day (I'm here going on 3 years) I still pick it up and I still learn more from it each time I do. The DVD will give you a whole bunch of moves to help you build strength in all the right places. I have several favorites which I learned from the Dictionary of Movements. Wonderful, great stuff. Prolapse was a scary thing at first. Now, I feel better than I ever did! And I'm not much younger than you! - Surviving

I suggest that you go to the Whole Woman Store, second Tab from the left at the top of the page. Click on DVD's, then click on First Aid for Prolapse. This takes you to the FAFP page, where there is a little video of excerpts from the DVD.

There is also a DVD called First Aid for Prolapse for Elders, which is much gentler than the standard videos, but you might find that too gentle. Who knows? Have a look at its excerpt as well.

The others, the Wheels, are yoga videos, for those who want a yoga type of workout. These are very good for strengthening and flexibility, and simply being 'in the moment'.

Louise