Slant boards

Body: 

I'm 66 years old and never heard of prolapse until that heartstopping moment early in December when I felt a strange bump and investigated with a mirror to see to my horror that my "insides were outside". Was able to make an appointment with our family doctor for the following Monday. The nurse calmly told me it probably was a cystocele and that many "older women" get this. I went on the Internet and it took me a couple of days of desperate trying before I found the proper search words that opened doors for me--including your book and video, Christine, which I promptly ordered and it could not come fast enough! Besides going to our family doctor, I also make use of a naturopathic doctor and acupuncturist who trained in China. They gave me reassuring information and immediate action before I even saw the family doctor. He admitted he knew very little about prolapse but that the patients he had had found great relief from surgery so he wanted to set me up with referrals leading to surgery. I wanted no part of that. He expects to see me come back asking for those referrals! Thank you for being here. It has been a real eyeopener reading the posts--especially how young many of you are when you discover your prolapse. My question is about the use of slant boards for treating prolapse. The acupuncturist I go to suggested I get one the one developed by Dr Bernard Jensen with an 18 inch rise. It came recently and I am slowly aclimating my body to this slant position. There is a definite sensation of my pelvic organs moving into place. Have any of you any experience with using a slant board? Christine, what do you know about it?

Welcome, Somer. I am sorry you have had this happen to you but I am so glad you were so proactive in seeking out information and alternatives to surgery. I am one of the younger women you speak of, here with a cystocele, rectocele and uterine proplapse at the ripe old age of 34! I wish I had found the book and website earlier than I did but even so, I can already see a dramatic difference with the postural work.

I am very interested to see what others know of slant boards, I have never heard of them but that doesn't mean anything ;-). Christine has visitors in town so it might be a couple of days before she responds. It's tough to remember that she has a life outside offering much needed support to us and the hundreds of lurkers who visit us. :-)

So welcome again!

Kathy

welcome, somer

I'm sorry you had a need to look for this site, but so happy you found us! This site is an incredible source of strength for me.
I don't know anything about slant boards, but I do shoulder stands sometimes to 'put things back' in place. I think its useful to a degree, the big challenge of course is keeping things inside when we're up against gravity.

Hi Somer,

Granolamom is right...inversion boards and poses are all well and good for such things as circulation, but they have no lasting effect on prolapse.

The central core of my message is that our pelvic organs are held in place by a very specific set of conditions having to do with the shape of the spine and pelvis, and the internal pressures flowing through that shape. Prolapse is a result of alteration of this perfectly adapted system.

Actually, if you want to help reshape your fascia through passive positioning, the best way would be to lay head-down on the board on your stomach, thus moving the organs up and forward.

Good for you for having intact instincts regarding the "great relief from surgery."

:-) Christine

This is my first time on a forum so I'm not sure how best to reply--hope this works. First I am so grateful for all the input. So much out there is confusing--no wonder! Granolamom and KathyG you made me feel so welcome on this forum as well as providing helpful info. Christine I did not expect such a speedy reply, though I am very grateful. Thank you so much for your information, it is so helpful. I downloaded your new chapter on pelvic structure and now things are making more sense to me--especially regarding your reply to my post. I look forward to your new book with updated info on a subject about which I had no knowledge whatsoever just three short months ago.

Just wanted to give you a warm welcome to these boards, they've been such an amazing source of support and information for me as you'll find as well.

Thanks for posting the question about the slant board. I was thinking that if we can do some of the strengthening/alignment work with our organs where they should be, that it might help to bring back the integrity of the structures in the pelvis so that overall alignment is optimized during the upright, weightbearing activities we engage in daily. Just a thought.

Again, welcome!

Hi everyone, I wanted to give an update as to my new outlook on slant boards as a result to reading many different things on this website. Now my opinion is that I would not have gotten one had I known then what I now do. I can do nicely without it. Thank goodness I didn't pay much for this one--it was used. Now that I have it I will use it but if I had to make the choice over again, I would not get one.

That's my general take on it, but it always helps to hear other's views.