running with POP

Body: 

Hello everyone,
I havent been around in a long long time, and I miss you all : )
I wanted to share my latest success. I've recently begun running. I never used to run because of my arthritic knees and hips and then the prolapse came along and I figured well, that's another reason to just keep walking. But I've been bitten by the running-bug and I just wanted to do it.
I'm following the couch25k program (which I love) and I'm running on my forefeet, naturally and easily. I think the WW posture just lends itself to this style of running, at least for me.
My POP is not noticeable at ALL during my run, and the really wonderful thing is that my knees and hips are quiet as well. no pain at all.
the full story is that my arthritis pain is nearly GONE for about two years now. I truly believe that WW posture has contributed to that healing as well. If I had to pay the price of a few years of prolapse stress to bring me to this place of pain free joints, I think I got quite a bargain.
THANK YOU, christine for making your lifework available to me, and to all the women here who have helped me along the way.
and to any newbies, please know that it is possible to live well with prolapse. I wish I could post more frequently and continue to be a part of this supportive place.
love to you all,

granolamom

Forum:

Oh, darling Granolamom...you have been lost (to us), but not forgotten!! I’ve been lost to us as well. I have wanted to write you for months, but as the new class of WW trainees knows, I’ve been a busy girl!

This is just grand news. I’m overjoyed that you took to this and wish that many other women could know the wonders of running in WW posture and up on toes. From my perspective now, I think just about any musculoskeletal malady can be resolved or drastically improved by running in this way. You have to pull into the posture, though.

We are now calling WW posture (on the hips side of our work), Full Human Extension, or FHE™. There is one, and only one, way to stretch into FHE™ and that is with WW posture. We are proving this in our work and with the upcoming book, Saving Your Hips.

Whether people want to believe we evolved the human body by running up on toes, or that Eve ran alongside Adam in this way, it is true that we are designed to run with chin and shoulders pulled down, abdominal and chest walls held forward, and feet pointing straight ahead - in bare feet or super-flexible shoes.

Thank you so much for believing in this work, making it work for you, and then helping us teach it to the world! It is work that’s time has come.

Much love to you,

Christine

G-mom, it's great to hear from you and this is a wonderful and inspiring post. We all owe so much to you for all your support in the WW early days! I'm so happy at the way it has paid off for you! Christine, love the new name, but of course it will always and forever be WW to me. Well, for now at least. SO excited for hips book. Love all of you. - surviving

Will the book or DVD on Hips be suitable for men or is it just for ladies. My husband, who is now in his eighties has suffered with his hips and now balance for many years. He does have to walk quickly as walking slowly is more painful but running would be out of the question for him. Just wondering.
Daphne

Daphne, I think that the book will address hip issues for both men and women. We will just have to wait until it comes out! - Surviving

I think it would be easier to walk briskly in WW posture than slouched and c-shaped. Daphne, your husband's body may have found its own solution, by walking faster in a posture which is easier when he goes faster! It is easier because it conserves the s-shape of the spine. The s-shape has an extra bend in it, so it is better for absorbing shocks and transmitting loads.

Louise

ps, this might be similar to why it is a smoother ride on a horse that is cantering, than a horse that is trotting?

Ever since I read this thread a couple of weeks ago I have felt motivated to run again. And now I've just bought myself some new running shoes. So...is it just a case of keeping in posture when I run? Was there something about running on toes? I bought "barefoot" running shoes so I think I will naturally be inclined to do this anyway...

Found all the details on running here: https://wholewoman.com/blog/?p=1338

interesting and encouraging to read, I started the C25 program about a year ago, then got really sick, and stopped, and when I tried to get back into it noticed that I was leaking urine just during running, no other times do I have issues with that, its put me off, thinking that it was not a good idea to put more pressure down there during the running, so am back to walking, but might give it another go once I get my book and figure out the posture properly

I'll let you know how I go. I do remember that I stopped running after the birth of my first when I felt that my pelvic floor was "dragging" during a run. That was long before I knew about prolapse or wholewoman or posture. We'll see if things are different - but I'll be taking it verrrrrry easy and slowly.

about a month into my running I moved in to 'week 3' of the c25k program. I progress slowly due to my fibro. anyway, I felt that it was too much but I pushed through for a few days until I was limping so bad and could.not.walk.
ended up with a stress fracture. so I've been off my feet for a while. so un-fun.
I'm planning to start again after Passover (way to busy right now anyway) and I will take it verrrrrrry easy and slowly too.

So sorry to hear, esp. when you love running up on your toes, as I do. I can't imagine running with any sort of constraints - time, distance, etc. I run until I feel like walking, which now is about 2 blocks. I've been pretty housebound since Lanny became ill, but notice that when it's time (spring), it all comes back fairly easily. I think the key is no competition, but for you and your breath.

Where is the fracture?

LOVE!

how is lanny doing? he is in my prayers and I think of you often. its a good thing you keep your shoulders broad, you're carrying plenty on 'em.

the stress fracture's the left fifth metatarsal. I'm stupid, stupid, stupid. I knew I was hurting and should have stopped. I got frustrated with my limitations and pushed because I thought it was just mind over matter. I should have known better. but the prolapse is fine, lol. so not even on my list of worries anymore : )

Lanny is doing well. We walked about two miles yesterday, which is longer than he's walked so far since the stroke. His biggest worry is his left eye, which he has to keep closed or else he sees double. Hoping for a full recovery, but things seem pretty stable where they're at. Just praying it doesn't get worse.

I think the stress fracture should heal well in time. Nothing to do but let the bone knit slowly back together. I fully expect you will be up on it again. I have decided pushing oneself, like hurrying, takes us out of the timeless realm our bodies evolved/were designed to live in. Nothing works as well when we are hurrying, looking ahead, or striving. We all have to hurry sometimes, but I've had to learn the hard way to pay attention to the present moment - and every move - when rushing about to meet a deadline. I've done enough face-plants (some really bad falls!) when hurrying and at the same time carrying on some unrelated conversation in my head.

Sending lots of love and hope for a complete recovery.

Christine

I like that phrase, I might write that down and carry it in my pocket