My annual OBGYN appointment

Body: 

Hi Ladies!

I just went for my annual OBGYN appt. the other day. You know, pap smear, breast exam, etc. Last year, after diagnosing me with a cystocele and slight rectocele, my doctor strongly recommended I have surgery to "fix" my prolapses -- the bladder in particular. Although I declined and had a wait and see attitude, this year he was hedging towards that subject again. Stating that he just learned a new surgical technique called "the hammock" -- eeekk just the sound of it makes me cringe!!! Although he claims that everything is "sagging" -- I cut him off at the pass. I decided to tell him how I am managing my prolapses -- via the posture and my friend, the sea sponge! I told him about this wonderful website and forum where I have learned so much -- including the sea sponge suggestion. I told him about Christine and her book and the terrible surgery to correct her incontinence and then her horrendous outcome of uterine prolapse which she did not have before. Funny thing is he didn't react all that strongly when I said it -- he just said a casual "Oh really?" I'm thinking to myself -- oh it's okay for you to recommend surgery to all women who come in here with prolapse without knowing the full repercussions. BUT, after the exam, he did sit down with me in his office and wrote down the website with the sea sponges on it and then even went on-line to view the sponges. He also wrote down the whole woman website. So... it kind of made me feel better that he just might in fact recommend them & this site to women who are seeking other solutions for managing prolapse other than the knife! I also mentioned to him that some women felt that a pessary might worsen or cause a rectocele. Anyway, just thought I'd share that with all of you. It kind of empowered me to just brush off his surgical intervention suggestion and suggest my completely natural alternative. I'm living life better knowing that just because the doctor suggests it -- doesn't mean I've got to consider it. AMEN for Whole Woman!!! Be well everyone, April

Way to go April, perhaps once we ALL start doing this a whole new generation of Dr's will be generated who will not just rely on the old surgical thing!!!
Michelle.

I read your post and I am now going to stand up to my OBGYN too. He did not mention surgery but he has been putting pessaries in me now for the last 3 months. None of them work and they all made me bleed. Now he wants to do an ultrasound to see if something is wrong inside. I don't want to know what is wrong inside actually because I think nothing is wrong. I have a 70 degree spinal curve which is a real serious curve and I think my prolapse is because of that. Anyhow, where did you get your sea sponge and how did you know what size to make it? Please answer as soon as you can. I have my utrasound next week. I use Tampons and they work o. k.,but I have to change them so often, I worry I might be doing the wrong thing. I also would like to put a link on my healing pages about the sponges and their proper use. I already have a link to this site. Linda
My Healing Pages:
http:/foreveralive.homestead.com/touchit.html
This page offers links I have found useful for bladder prolapse and women's issues.

good for you April! who knows how many lives you have impacted by that conversation you had with your ob. when I go for my annual check up I will follow in your example and spread the word.

I can just hear the good fellows now..."Next thing ya know Bob, they'll be burnin' pessaries in the streets!"

Actually - I went for the same thing last week and was so pleased at the attitude of the lovely nurse practitioner at my gyn's office. I won't quote her here, but she believes a lot in the system should change.

Hugs, April,

Christine

Hi Linda,

One of the sites where I purchased the sea sponges is www.jade andpearl.com and click on bottom right sea pearls. You can also find them at www.pandorapads.com. You will need to be comfortable with your body to insert them in the correct position so that they stay put. By this I mean, up and over the pelvic bone. These sea pearls work really well for my cystocele. With regards to trimming them, this you can only find out by trial and error. If they seem too big, and won't stay inside once positioned correctly, remove and trim. Soak once a week in a solution of tea tree oil and warm water works well or you can use hydrogen peroxide. I switch off from hp to lemon essential oil and water for every night cleaning. But using the tea tree oil and water for an overnight soak seems to prolonge the longevity of the sponge. I hope they work well for you too! Take good care, April

post. I am going to tell every health care practitioner that I am working with (ob/gyn), doctor of chinese medicine, and pt, about Christine's book and website. Really, I feel so grateful I found it myself! The postures seems so sensical, yet I've never heard this info from anyone before. It has made a big difference already in how I feel. This is information that could help so many women. You know, I read your story, Christine, in your book for the first time today, and I was struck by the duality of affliction. I would never have wished the experience on you in a million years, and yet I can't help but be grateful for the healing that you are now bringing to those of us who also suffer. I wondered -- what would I be doing now if Christine had never had the experience she had? Know that you are making a huge contribution!

I don't boo-hoo too often here, as I feel I have to be strong for everyone else, but having to live with my post-surgery body has been such a hard thing. I was born with a very good body - not in a "playgirl" sort of way, but just sound, strong, and coordinated. It's a wounding so very deep and my wanting to spare others such heartbreak is fueling this whole extravaganza. xxxxoooo

Thank you for sharing bits of your personal story, Christine. It makes you REAL to the rest of us also struggling with our emotional ups and downs. Our society places unrealistic expectations of "being strong for others". As Bereavement Care Director for a local mortuary I constantly see the damage putting up a happy face can do emotionally. In fact most of the people--mostly women--who come to me are tired of "being strong" and want to be themselves, warts and all. They are so relieved to find a place where that is safe. You, Christine, are providing a safe place for all of us and you make it even safer when you share of yourself. I, for one, (and I suspect I am joined by most if not all who come to your website) I so very grateful you are here. It has made a tremendous difference to me.

I really appreciate the quick reply-I will check the websites right away. I love this forum, everyone is helpful and friendly. Linda
My Healing Pages:
http:/foreveralive.homestead.com/touchit.html
This page offers links I have found useful for bladder prolapse and women's issues.

When I went to my yearly appointment, he again mentioned a hysterectomy. Since he knows that I don't want to go under the knife, he suggested the laser surgery. He also said that pretty soon, if I didn't have the surgery, I won't be able to walk. What is up with that
remark? Does anybody know? I didn't ask him.
I asked him if he had heard of thewholewoman website. He hadn't. I told him that they show us exercises to do and the whole posture thing. He told me that whatever I was doing was going well for me since I looked great.
I still don't know about the 'not being able to walk' remark.
Also, my sciatica nerve has flared up again. Talk about PAIN. I haven't had this since I was pregnant. Is this due to the prolapse, maybe? I've been re-reading your book but don't see any mention of it in there. I have been doing the thigh exercises more regularly and they do seem to help.

Hi Fairmaiden,

The postural work should relieve the sciatica. It's impossible to trouble-shoot without being able to see you and your particular issues. That's why we need a network of bodyworkers to refer women to...on the critical path!

As for the comment, it's a very typical line that women have reported over and over again. If you feel your organs are truly stabilized and you understand how that stabilization takes place - in other words what factors create it - what would EVER cause your condition to worsen?

Stay in the posture, exercise, don't strain on the toilet, wear comfortable shoes and clothing, eat well, and support your emotional and spiritual well-being. Only you can create your own health, Fairmaiden.

Christine