posture question

Body: 

not having the book yet and trying to understand the posture from posts on here, can someone tell me if the pelvic position, is like lifting up your pubic bone a little bit, is that it? Or did I misunderstand that?

Forum:

Welcome here. Great that you are sorting out the posture. Others will comment as well but I will give you my thoughts. Do not think about the pubic bone. Instead....I like to build it bottom up....feet facing forward ready for a WW walk, knees soft (so they are not locked like in some yoga postures), tummy very soft and relaxed, lift the chest slightly (that will elongate the abs actually and they will strengthen this way), crown of head lifting slightly upward (which actually tucks slightly the chin). It is uplifted this posture, but still we can relax into it. The breath will move into your belly so that the belly goes out with the inhale and it actually comes back in with the exhale. In the first weeks, I would go through this list over and over to be sure everything was in its place. You will notice a nice lumbar curve. Honor that. Never tuck the tailbone and such in the tummy. If your focus is total body like this, you need not think of what you are doing to the pubic bone. It is there, and eventually those organs will move forward over it. Best wishes to you dear mumtofour!

thank you, and whats the best way to sit, I just came across something in another thread that said to put something behind your back in the car, what about in a chair, or on the sofa?

Yes, in the car, take a bit of time to find the best solution. On good days I use a lumbar cushion behind my back. On not so good days, I sit on a pillow with the lumbar cushion and sometimes another little pillow. I am trying to stay in posture with lumbar curve while driving. It puts my head a bit too high but keeps the pop fine. As for sitting, you can sit on floor with legs crossed, or legs straight out in front of you. You can also rest with legs bent sitting on your feet or better yet put a pillow under your bottome and your legs under the pillow. In a chair, I prefer sitting on the front half of the chair with the same posture of chest lifted, crown of head uplifted, shoulders relaxed and most importantly relaxed belly. The sofa can be bad but once again, use a lumbar pillow and until you have improved significantly you will want to keep the lumbar curve and the posture. Two excellent positions are hands and knees and the wonderful knees and elbows. that position was wonderful for me, even for five minutes when symptoms were bad. It made everything feel right again. Best wishes!

oh thank you, and thanks for that tip of elbow and knees, going to try that next time its bad