High heels

Body: 

Someone just brought this to my attention: Is it possible to stand/walk properly in WW Posture while wearing high heeled shoes or boots? Would alternating high and low heels during the day at work make a difference? Since I normally wear low heels, I had not thought of the effect of high heels.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Forum:

Here's an interesting shoe thread with lots of talk about high heels.

https://wholewoman.com/forum/node/3385

Thanks for the link! Yes, it is an interesting thread which I read twice but at the end I could only conclude that perhaps for some it is fine to wear heels and for others not depending on how easy or difficult it is for individuals to maintain the posture....and for how long one wears the heels. What is your conclusion? (Anyone else feel free to comment as well please.)

Heels are terrible for prolapse. It is not possible to stay in posture with any type of heel. The minute you step into heels your body and pelvis are pushed forward and you naturally make adjustments so you don't fall over and then if you think you are pulling into posture, you are not because your staring point has changed dramatically. For me any type of heel (even 1 cm) makes my prolapse worse and bulgy. It makes sense tho...heels put your pelvis at angle that just send the organs straight out of the vagina. I have many less symptoms since only going barefoot or completely flat shoes. That is my 2 cents:)

I've never worn high heels. Only on very rare occasions, and not since years before prolapse. I don't even own a pair at the moment, so I can't even experiment with the combo of high heels and WW posture. - Surviving

give me back aches. Good supportive shoes, flat heels and mostly sandals with strap over the instep or tie ups and a party pair of courts for ..... well parties.

I wear heels when the occasion calls for it, but as a busy mom of 5, I have precious few such occasions.
and I always have hip/low back pain the next day so its just as well.
flats are definitely better for the posture, but its ok to live a little too : )

Just curious if anyone has considered wearing Earth Shoes? I used to wear them fairly regularly and they seemed to help with my overall posture by dropping the heels down and very basically, preventing leaning forward.

Yes, both my husband and I wore them extensively in the 70's, each of us having them in more than one style. However, here is a thread with some comments from Christine on prolapse and the negative-heel concept:

https://wholewoman.com/forum/node/3385

Hi Osmari,
Re-thinking about this. Basically the simple truth for me is that I think high heels are not good for us. They change our natural posture and balance - and cause many women problems, such as postural, joint and feet problems. I guess the less frequently they're used the less damage they're likely to do. I haven't used high heels for years. My view of high heels has changed as I've become more aware of the harm they do.

I've observed that many women's toes are squashed over time by their shoes. (Then, even if they did have a width measurement/fitting, their foot would appear narrower than it would if it wasn't squashed). Even so, I do think it's a shame that shoe width fittings or choice, becomes much more unusual for the adult population compared with children. Width sizes would at least draw people's attention to the fact that feet widths varies significantly.
xwholewomanuk
P.s. I had painful bunions and a painful bunion op, which didn't really change anything and I'm now resigned to wearing the kind of very wide fitting shoes I was trying to avoid wearing before I had the op!
I never thought that's happen to me!

Thanks for your 2 cents. Your insight is perfect for some of my issues.
Daphne11

Totally with you on this, WWUK. So many women end up with major foot problems after a lifetime of cramming their feet in high-heeled shoes. Being on toes is good, but I don't believe high-heeled shoes are good for anyone. - Surviving

I am taller than my husband so for the past 30 years I have only worn flats. Moccasins, loafers, flat clogs, and my favorite for summer is the a Birkenstock sandal. I also like Rykas, which are wide in the toe box the way women's feet are shaped.

I always wear flats I don't feel comfortable in high heel shoes..............