pessaries

Body: 

hi i would be interested to know if anyone with prolapse has used the new inflaable pessarys ,for uterine prolpalse.I am in the uk and you can buy them on the internet for about 40 pounds.i wonder how these compare to other pessaries.would love to hear of anyone who has used these,

Sorry to tell you that I don't know anything about inflatable pessaries, but is worth asking again. Can you afford the 40 pounds to try it, and report back? Louise

Hi trumper1,
I don't know if you have Christine's book 'Saving the Whole Woman'? In there, there's a short chapter on pessaries. In there, Christine correctly states that prescribers of pessaries often do not distinguish between the different types of pessaries.

For some women, pessaries have caused prolapse to worsen because the vaginal passage may be stretched and increase the likelihood of prolapse. This is especially the case if the pessary is placed horizontally across the vaginal passage, (as often shown in diagrams). In reality the body often pushes the pessary into a vertical position to conform to the natural axis of the vagina.

In the book Christine says there is anecdotal evidence that pessaries may suit women with cystocels most. In this case a pessary will lift the bladder slightly and may improve comfort considerably. A thin pessary such as the ring-with -support will allow the vagina to flatten almost completely. For women rectocele pessaries appear to be least helpful. For women with uterine prolapse, the cervix may press against the rim of the pessary in a vertical position and be uncomfortable &/or push the pessary down.

There are previous posts about pessaries: You can type in 'pessaries' in the blank box top left and click the search button next to it, if you're interested to read other posts about pessaries.

I was first diagnosed with a uterine prolapse about 1 1/2 years ago now. My symptoms have significantly improved, and although I consider I have a propensity to pop, I manage my prolapse very well and am symptom free most of the time. When my initial pop symptoms appear, I treat these as my early warning signals and take extra care about diet, elimination, WW posture, the new kegels and exercises... and so far, my symptoms have invariably improved very rapidly. By now the WW posture, healthy diet, elimination and exercises are a way of life for me, which are largely daily habits for me now.

So I'm not so sure pessaries are the way forward for many women with pop's. I think I would embark on the WW posture, exercises, life-style and recommendations first. If you haven't got the 'Saving the WW' book, I personally would recommend you spend your £40 on the book and follow the advise in there first.

However it's also always interesting to see what works for people as well. If you do try the pessary please let us know how you get on.

Wishing you all the best.
xwholewomanuk