12 weeks postpartum and getting worse

Body: 

I have read that it is possible for things to get worse before they get better with postpartum prolapse, but I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. I developed a cystocele 5 days postpartum which was no longer symptomatic by 6 weeks postpartum, though the midwife said it was still there. I ordered the book and the first aid dvd. I have read the book and have done the first aid dvd a handful of times, but have been trying to use the posture when standing, walking, sitting, etc. It is just difficult to find the time with 3 young children! I'm not even sure I'm getting the posture right all of the time, but I'm trying. Now, at 12 weeks postpartum, the cystocele seems to be staying where it was at 6 weeks, but I'm suddenly noticing a bulge at the back of my vaginal wall which I suppose is a rectocele? I feel like it is protruding when I walk or stand, but when I feel with my fingers it is not. It is not painful at all, but just uncomfortable as if there is a tampon or something there. I have been feeling good most days and hopeful. But now I feel like I am back where I was over two months ago. I am crying all the time and just feeling so helpless. I am trying to be careful when picking up my 2 1/2 year old, but I am constantly terrified that I am making things worse. I know I am not being the best mom to my girls like this, but I just don't know how to snap out of it. My husband is supportive, but he just doesn't really get it and in all honesty I don't think I do a very good job explaining it to him. So now what to do? Just keep trying to use the posture and step up the first aid dvd? Should I see a doctor or midwife so I know exactly what this new prolapse is or is that not worth it? Sorry for my rant and thank you. I am so thankful to have found this forum!

I'm 7 months postpartum and that is exactly how I was feeling at 12 weeks postpartum - it had been getting better then it seemed to get worse.

Keep working gently with FAFP as much as feels comfortable (I stuck with just the basic workout for ages), and try to get as much rest as you can. I find the really tired days are the worst. For me, the six month point was probably the point at which symptoms were worst. This weekend I went for a run in posture and it has really helped, but my body wasn't quite ready for a run before now.

I find keeping my chest lifted really helps get the rest of the posture right. FAFP video is so good at getting your body working with the posture. You're doing the right things :-)

Hi 3girlsmom, you are doing a great job! I am a mother of one infant, so I guess I can kind of relate to you in that it can be hard with having a child to pick up a lot. Picking up your children can be a great way to practice lifting with the legs and not the abs. If you have ever heard of posture beads, maybe that could work for you (posturebeads.com, something like that). Also, maybe it seems like things always get worse before they get better because your body takes a while to take on the effects of a change. I was diagnose with a rectocele and thought, "whew, at least its just one of my organs!" Later I realized I was developing a slight cystocele as well. I know how that feels to finally know what is wrong and how to fix it, only to have it get worse. However, it has a been several months since all this and I hardly notice my cystocele anymore. I haven't even been that extremely diligent in the posture. I have totally been there too with crying all the time and feeling hopeless. Try to keep telling yourself that this will get better and focus on the fact that at least you have the knowledge about whole woman posture versus surgery and all that jazz. As to the tampon-ish feeling, I too have a rectocele and can't say that's been the height of my symptoms. I would say, if you feel worried like you need to get a doctor's opinion, then it can't hurt. You ultimately decided what to do about it. Maybe this isn't what you want to hear, but sometimes time is just what is needed. From reading the posts on these forums, if there's one big thing I've learned its that improving posture to reverse prolapse takes TIME.
Oh and i wanted to add, when I pick up my daughter I try to squat all the way down to the floor, pull her towards me, then keep sitting up straight while I pull up into standing position. Also, it is hard for men to understand, maybe trying to explain it better (or letting this website explain it for you) could help him help you. Keep going, you are doing a great job!

To find a good article to help you and your husband, click on the "Resources" tab at the top of this page. Then choose the Village Library option. Then on the left side of the page, click on Lanny Goodman articles. Then click on the article name and click on the article name again to get it to load. There ya go. Hope it helps.....Bebe

Thank you for the words of encouragement and direction to the article. In some ways I feel lucky that my prolapse is not as bad as it could be, but it also has me feeling terrified to do too much. What if I make things worse. I suppose there will be good days and bad in this process.

hi
I had two babies after finding my prolapse. both times, I was at my absolute worst at 12 weeks. and then it started getting better. mind you, this was a good while after I found the POP and I already knew the posture and all that.
I think pp is a tough time to sort through all of this for the first time. your muscles are not only unaccustomed to the posture, they are also all stretched out from pg.
there are very few things you can do to make it worse. and you know what they are (abdominal crunches, straining on the toilet - to name two).
if things get worse temporarily from a day full of too much activity, you double up on plies or something the next few days and take it easy otherwise and get back on track.
sometimes it seems like two steps forward, one step back, and progress can be very slow. I did not see any change for months and months when I started and I wasnt even pp at the time. I'm doing great now, and so will you.
another thing that my mw told me, is that at 3 mo pp there is a significant hormonal shift which can cause a bunch of crying/fears/hopelessness/etc if you are prone to that sort of thing (I am).
so maybe a new mantra can be 'this too shall pass'? because it will. and you will look back and wonder what all the fuss was about. for now, hugs to you! congrats on the baby and enjoy those 3 girls : )

I agree - stick with the WW posture, remember to lift the chest whilst you're relaxing the belly, walk with feet parallel...
In my experience other factors such as stress levels, constipation, how I evacuate, my diet (must not be constipating), whether I rest or not when I'm tired... These all appear to affect how my prolapse is. Perhaps the main thing I notice is that if I don't so a short WW practice then after 3 days I begin to get noticeable prolapse symptoms. ..
I really appreciate it's not so easy when you've got babies and young children to take time out for yourselves, but it's improtant to incorporate all these factors into your lives.
Don't lose heart. A friend of mine once said " why do you bother?" (with the WW work). I said "what choice have I got?".
xwholewomanuk

I am also three months pp. My prolapse feels worse too. I have been doing the posture and walking short distances now in the posture. I feel pretty good while walking but after not so good. I am not why that is?
I am so happy for this forum. I hope the prolapse gets better soon.

Perhaps you go back to your old posture when you get back? Perhaps you have to lift babies, etc. Three months pp is usually about as bad as it gets. by 6 months pp you should be starting to feel better again. By 2 years pp your postpartum reversion is about complete. But as your babies need less lifting, and you are more in control of your own movements the improvements can go on for years after that.