Pessaries

Body: 

Hi I posted a few weeks ago,but had no replies.would be interested to know if anyone has tried the inflatable ball pessaries,I always thought you could only get pessaries from your docter,but you can now buy them on the internet not sure how new the inflataball one is but you can buy it from a company called stress no more for 40 pounds in the uk.would be interested of any replies

Hi Trumper1,
I'm totally new here, but I was wondering about pessaries as well, the only thing is, they are made of laytex and plastic, which I really can't bring myself to put up inside me! There are natural ways, such as a sea sponge I think, and I'm hoping that maybe some ladies have used this...... the sponge I know you can buy online.....

Some women get symptom relief from pessaries, though they are notoriously tricky to fit, and sometimes require a very patient doctor to try different ones. They do not work for many women, and in fact can aggravate prolapse. In normal upright posture (correct posture that is, WW posture) the vagina is a closed, airless space, and this is what helps keep the organs supported over the pubic bones and out of the vaginal space. Some pessaries hold the vagina open and can make prolapse worse. Furthermore I am pretty sure from your other posts that you have rectocele. Pessaries don't work at all in this case; they probably won't stay in, or they will be uncomfortable and make the condition worse. If you are having any problems keeping tampons in place, you will know what I mean.

If you do find a pessary that fits and works well, many docs will tell you to leave it in for weeks or months and come back for removal and cleaning. Don't settle for that routine; it needs to be taken out at night so the tissues can breathe.

Not many women here have had much luck with the sponges either. But at least it's an easier/cheaper way to experiment since you can buy them yourself.

Concentrate on the posture work, and do not fear the bulge. That's really the bottom line here. Every other suggestion you get is either useless or actually harmful. Propping things up with plastic is a wasted effort. And you actually need your symptoms to let you know how you are doing, to learn to sense what's good and what's bad for prolapse. A woman with all her organs, and who has not had other "repairs", really has no use for a pessary. - Surviving