Bloating and Prolapse

Body: 

I am just wondering if anyone else experiences a lot of bloating and if this has anything to do with the prolapse? I have tired cutting out various foods, right now I am trying no dairy, I just seem to have a huge belly, and it gets bigger as the day progresses. The prolapse is bad now too, not being able to do the firebreathing and nauli during the period days, I seem to take two steps backwards. Feeling generally very blah! I have always had a very poor body image and allowing my belly to be soft is difficult, I look pregnant! I am hoping this whole journey with my prolapse will result in me accepting and loving my body shape no matter what it is, but it is early days! Thank you so much to all the courageous women on this site who share their stories so honestly, your support has been invaluable to me.

Forum:

Hi Angel Child,
I'm 51 years old and wanted to share with you that I too have a big belly and I was always told to hold it in, chest out.
Since I learned about Whole Woman posture to relax the belly and chest up, I feel so comfortable now.
I use to be so self conscience of my big belly but now I'm not and it feels good to relax it.
As far as the bloating goes, I feel if you relax and use the Whole Woman posture you will feel better and possibly the bloating will stop.
I use to feel bloated before but now I don't and I do eat a lot of foods--beans, fruits and vegetables. Herbal teas, such as Chamomile with honey is good for bloating as well as plain yogurt. Greek yogurt has more protein.
I'm proud of my belly now because, as I feel as it is relaxing, my pelvic organs are moving forward. :)

Angel Child, if you keep your chest pulled up strongly, you won't look pregnant. The muscles will be nice and taut. I know what you mean, because I have plenty of fat there myself. But I've gritted my teeth and examined my naked self both in and out of WW posture. WW posture still wins, in the looks department. And it's no contest in the prolapse department. So dress appropriately and use diet and WW exercise to address your belly fat if it bothers you. - Surviving

My doc told me I have leaky gut causing horrible painful bloating. The bloating for me sets off the prolapse inflammation flareup. He started me on the Paleo diet and in 2 weeks my stomach felt flatter then it had in years! If only it was easier to stick to. No processed food, only organic meats, loads of veggies, no high allergen foods (nuts, grains, eggs, tomatoes, potatoes, beans,lentils etc) digestive enzymes help alot!, beef bone broth before every meal, I can't even handle most fruits, no sugar... I feel like I'm always fighting myself to get back on this diet even though I know how much better I will feel. Hope this helps a little :)

I felt kind of like you did at first. Okay I am still at that 'first' point, but I also felt like my lower belly, with all the relaxing it, pooched out in an unattractive way. Like Surviving mentioned, if I lift my chest in proper posture that little pooch is stretched out. However, I never really felt bloated. If you are pretty new to this, and have been doing a lot of changes in diet and posture, your body is probably just taking a while to adjust. My husband started weight watchers recently, and for the first two weeks he felt super bloated, headaches, it was brutal. But then his body adjusted to those diet changes he was making. Try to keep going with the diet experimenting, it can sometimes take a while. I find that there is no real magical answer of one type of food that makes or brakes your body's comfort level, if you don't have a specific condition to treat in such a way. It is typically, for me, just a happy medium or a good balance of all the good (minimally processed) foods that work for me. Good luck!

Thank you for all your posts, it has given me the renewed strength to just dig deep and start again!
Thank you so much.

I have the same bloating that you described. I gave birth two months ago but my stomach is bloated and I look 6 months pregnant again. It makes my prolapse symptoms worse. I have yeast though and can not make my diet any stricter until the baby is older (the naturopath told me). This is something I have struggled with since my last baby though so it is systemic. The naturopath has a plan for me but I have to wait until baby is older. I know it is yeast because when I got rid of most sugars etc. when I wasn't pregnant the tummy got a lot flatter but he said pregnancy, especially third trimester made it get out of control because it wasn't completely resolved. Do you know if you have a yeast problem?

I don't understand why your diet would need to be made stricter and why you need to wait until your baby is older. Just replacing those foods that you are presently intolerant to with suitable others surely would not upset any nutritional balance? I don't like the idea of you continuing to suffer bloating and its worsening your prolapse. Also the nature of candida is that it will grow given the right circumstances and if it overgrows and your symptoms spread.... No, get back to that naturopath or get a new one, girl. You are a champion mum and you are important, suffering is not what you do (at least, not without protest).

cheers, Fab

I look about 6 months pregnant despite losing all of my baby weight. I am actually less than I used to be but have a bigger tummy. This is due to a large diastis recti . Very common with post partum mums. Please check with your physio if this is an issue with you as it requires very specific physio exercises

Hi Helpless - here is a really good thread on diastasis and Whole Woman posture that you might want to check out:
https://wholewoman.com/forum/node/4898