Lifting toddlers

Body: 

Dear Christine

I think I have seen a couple of your posts where you have recommended just bending over 'from the waist' straight forward, knees soft and lifting him straight up to your standing position again. I hope I have this right. I thought I had already asked this question, but could not find the Post, so here goes, again ;-)

I am just wondering if you meant from the waist, bending the spine, or from the hip joints, keeping the spine relatively straight, and bottom up in the air? Could you explain exactly what you mean by 'from the waist'?

Cheers

Louise

Hi Louise,

Thanks so much for clarifying this. I need to make my “lifting” FAQ more clear and add a picture. I mean:

Keep toes pointing straight ahead

Widen the stance to shoulder width apart

Squat down by bending the knees while you

Bend forward at the hips keeping the back straight and the neck in the same line as the rest of the spine. The back will be straight but inclined at about 45 degrees.

Use your knees to get you as low as you need to go to get your arms around the object. Your fanny should be sticking well out.

Cheers to you,

Christine

I squat, pull him in close, and stand using mostly my legs as strength. is this what you mean, Christine?

The postures have really helped with carrying. I really almost exxagerate the standing posture when carrying, to protect my pelvic organs, because when I first began dealing with the prolapse and before i found the postures, I felt it the most accutely when carrying my baby.

Any other tips? Any people found carrying to have no detrimental effects on the prolapse. I'm looking for encouragement to carry well and keep carrying! My dr. of chinese medicine said to put him in a stroller. But, we're not so used to that and neither is baby! Can't not carry at all. And, I don't think she really understands the posture thing.

Hi, I was just wondering if your chinese medicine doc has offered anything helpful?

I get my daughter to put a foot up on something and lift her and gradually (carefully) if going down she slides down my body - you need a walking child for this. To lift she is used to coming close to mummy when she sits down more than standing (This started when I had a hernia op and could not lift at all)

Now to bend I lift in the wrong way (for your back)

I bend at the waist and keeping bottom half of bosy in the posture i slowly raise giving my child a kinda swing towards me so the motion is what lifts rather than me.

Sue

was in! About the Chinese herbs, I mean. I'll keep you posted. So far, I've had one 3 days course of the herbs. She says she's had great success, so I'll let you know.