Driving

Body: 

Hello wondering if I could ask a quick question, my car has very bucket seats so low at the back and rising up to your legs! Hope that makes sense, is that bad for my prolapse should I sit on a cushion so my bum is more level with my legs? Or does it not matter greatly if I try to keep my lumbar curve? Any thoughts greatly appreciated as always, thank you.

Forum:

Hi Lifegoeson
Yes, almost universally, car seats are a problem. It is very difficult to keep your lumbar curve when your knees are higher than your hips. I have come to the conclusion that car manufacturers want us to half lie down in the driver's seat so they can make the outside of the car low and bubble/wedge shaped.

I suggest that you put a search into the search box with words like driving, car, seat, auto, lumbar support, roll, cushion, etc. Try different combinations.

My solution is a foam wedge under my car seat cover to make the seat horizontal. It had to be trimmed on the two back corners and down the sides to fit the profile of the seat and allow my knees to fall out sideways instead of being 'supported' (!). When I am in another car any seat feels like I am sitting in a bowl! I have an old cushion that is filled with foam chips. I kind of pound it at the front and down the sides into the right shape and jam it back as far as I can into the back of the seat to make it horizontal. It is perfect, even if it does look like a dog's breakfast! I also have a small D-shaped lumbar cushion with an adjustable strap that hangs over the head restraint. It goes with me everywhere. My shoulder blades just come over the top of it, so I can get my upper body back far enough.

Louise

I empathise I had the same problem and also a short legged person I had the additional problem of having to round my lower back to stretch my legs to reach the peddles! So I have a frim cushion underneath and behind. You don't want to be sinking; ie squashing your abdomen and rounding your lower lumbar curve. Think WW posture at all times.
xxwholewomanuk

Agree - car seats are awful and this is one of those things that I tend to be lazy about. I have to keep telling myself, there's no excuse for not sticking something behind the small of my back, at least for the longer drives. These things add up over time. - Surviving