A week without red clover

Body: 

I ran out of red clover about a week ago and decided to have a break from it and see what happened. I have been taking it for so long that I couldn't remember what happened, or didn't happen, when I started taking it.

I took some about an hour ago, and I just realised that my body which has been giving me increasing pain over the last week, has stopped hurting. My nights have been punctured by wakefulness for several hours in the early morning, requiring me to sleep in very late after I get back to sleep. So I have been spending too many hours in bed. I have also had a lot of hot flashes at night in the last week, resulting in a very messy bed and further sleep disturbance. Tomorrow I will report on the sleep situation.

Signed, the Human Guinea Pig

You ARE a wealth of information Louise. I assume you are planning to leave your body to science as well. Love that red clover. Think I'll go have me some right now! Hope you're feeling better today. - Surviving

I was just wondering if the red clover was helping me or not. I'm going to take mine too as I skipped yesterday. I've only been taking it for about 2 months but when I went several days without it two weeks ago, I ended up relapsing for two weeks. Today is a better day but I'm still exhausted from the pain, the muscle strain, the stress etc..

I am too scare of running out of Red Clover!
It is my worry that I will not find enough!
I bought several jars of the capsules and also the dry flowers for tea and I am happy because now I have seeds to plant and hope for a good harvest of flowers to dry.
I am glad you have some of it now and you are feeling better.
Have a good sleep tonight!
Solita

Yes, it was amazing. And yes, I am now sleeping much better again. What a relief.

Could you tell me what dosage of red clover you use? I am 63 and post menopausal for 14 years. I have had a prolapse for 12 years and have successfully worn a pessary for 10 years until 2 years ago when I developed ulcers. Recently my prolapse is worse and my vagina is dry. I was so excited to learn about WW and have sent away for the book etc. I stated using vit e and was thinking about getting estrogen cream, but since reading all the comments I think I should try red clover.. Any suggestions?

Sorry...newbie...late to the game: can someone bring me up to speed on the uses and benefits of red clover? I'd like to order some but don't know if I would take it for pain, insomnia, or what. THANKS ...

Hi abqangel,
My mom started taking it to replace her estrogen cream which was making her triglycerides skyrocket. She was taking it for vaginal dryness. She is 70 and has also had a hysterectomy. She drinks the tea and has the balm. I have read that other ladies take the capsules. It has become so popular that when I went to my health food store to inquire about it, they said they were out of it most of the time!! If you google it, you will find a whole list of the benefits, unless one of the ladies here jumps in.

Aging gracefully.

I checked out the side effects, and it is unwise for someone who has fibroids to take Red Clover. Although it may be beneficial for many purposes, it has estrogen-like qualities, so anyone who is suffering from problems caused by too much estrogen would not benefit by taking Red Clover.

:-)
w2k

Want2know,
Yes, I think I remember reading something about that. I decided that for myself that I would not take it yet as I am going through perimenopause,and I didn't want any extra estrogen in my body, but I think I will reconsider once I have actually go through menopause; although, I know other ladies swear by it.

I noticed that Red Clover was being used for lichen planus and reasoned that if it were effective for something that affects the skin this way it might work for my problem. I haven't suffered from lichen planus but have had inflamed red skin around my backside that would only temporarily respond to treatments for fungus or for candida. I started taking Red Clover Blossom capsules about three months ago and it has helped tremendously with the inflamed red skin around my rear.

Wondering recently from reading other posts if I shouldn't be using it or other estrogen-like supplements, I'm glad to see your note Aging Gracefully that as post-menopausal it may be okay for me to continue using it.

Thanks for the reply and summation, Aging Gracefully. I also did some initial research and found that red clover is contraindicated for those using HRT (which I am for a variety of reasons after my hysterectomy in Jun '10) so I suppose I shouldn't try it...but it's good to know there are options out there, particularly if I need to come off the HRT later (I'm 44)...

Best -
ABQangel

Is that something you absolutely have to take? I heard it has so many side effects. I am only 30 years old but already I am swearing off all commercial hormone therapy for menopause. (Although just to be fair I am not pure: I am taking birth control pills until I find someone to be my life partner. I've got to say that on more than one occasion while in the emotionally abusive relationship I was in, I was more than grateful to have the extra precautions against child conception. That outweighed the risks for me.) But generally speaking, I'd be super weary of synthetic hormones.

Hi Tree Woman -

Yes, I'm all over that - - I've been on bioidential HRT for some years now and will refuse to take the synthetic version! So that's not an issue for me.

I was on birth control pills on/off for roughly 16-17 years before marriage (he and I actually waited to get married to have intercourse) and I am CONVINCED that they led to the various problems I developed which eventually led to my hysterectomy...and then this (prolapse)...so please try to find some better alternatives...or just wait 'til you find that life partner you spoke of. It's worth it!!!