Clothing

Body: 

After re-reading STWW's section on clothing, I decided to look for some clothing that didn't at all restrict my waist, etc. I found these great clothes -- stylish, made of stretchy material. Wow. I feel so much better! How these things came to you is really wonderful, Christine.

So, the question is: now it's time to go through all my clothes -- those darling pants and skirts, but all a little restrictive around the waist. Even some of my lower waisted jeans feel a bit restrictive. but, do I get rid of them forever???? Or, just put them away for awhile. I think I know the answer. What's yours?

Hi Rosewood, after I read that chapter on the clothing I realized that whenever I wear jeans or something like them, I am miserable. So I went to Target and got a bunch of cute workout clothes, yoga style. That's what I live in around the house, they're all coordinating so it's cute, not too dumpy looking. I have also figured out that skirts are better for me then pants with a crotch, unless they have some stretch to them... I keep looking at the Chico's store and now understand their clothes! Most of their clothes have some drape and are stretchy so they are really comfortable. I have always thought the store was for older women than me but now I am planning on revisiting it. We'll see what comes of it :-).

Kathy

Hey Kathy, I can relate to what you are saying about the jeans. I never would have made the correlation. tight jeans seemed normal to me! Well, it's a little loss, although I'll still wear my lower cut stretchy gap jeans. But I found this cute little hip shop in our town where I got these great wide-legged, stretchy pants (yoga pants, perhaps) that look great and make me feel more feminine than jeans. There's an up side to it all.

I had bought some comfortable skirts to wear to cover up the catheters I had post-surgery, and I have started to receive so many compliments on the way I dress...which is so funny to me because of the true utilitarian reason why I've been wearing different clothes from what I'm used to (I'm a real t-shirt and jeans kinda girl).

In looking for soft, flowy fabrics (and also trying not to break the bank for a new look), I found some wonderful things at Forever 21. Don't know if you have one in your area but they have some cute, trendy and very affordable clothing. I found some fantastic cute 'gaucho' type capris that are extremely comfortable as well as several skirts and even a few flattering shirts that are breastfeeding friendly.

Yoga clothes are great, too, I am particularly fond of Prana pants because they are cut generously and the fabric is very good quality, and as far as I know they're made in the USA and sweatshop free. There are also lots of cute pants/hoodie sets that are quite versatile and stylish.

I never imagined that this bladder surgery and the cystocele would even affect the way that I dressed, but in all honesty this has been one of the unanticipated blessings from all that's happened. I am actually quite enjoying my 'new mom' body, with more voluptious curves and a more feminine sense of style to accompany and honor that.

I have to say I am terrible for wearing my pj's around the house a lot! I tend to get into them as early in the day as I can after chores and errands out of the house are done. I have always loved them and of course now they are also practical for prolapse. I agree with Michele too, I love "prana" clothes and find them comfy and practical! :)

Hi Marie,

Well, I think you’ll find that you will only continue to expand your clothing consciousness. Like so much else, there’s really no going back to the things that contributed to our loss of support in the first place.

If it were me, of course, I wouldn’t throw/give any of the clothes you like away, but would change the waistlines. I wrote all this out at some point a couple of years ago, and would be happy to do so again if you are interested. I think this sort of re-constructing is a good way to learn some basic sewing skills. This is a soap box for me, but I just can’t imagine what I would possibly find to wear if I couldn’t make exactly what I want. I started sewing in my twenties and am eternally grateful I did. By the way, Folkwear Patterns has a pattern for those low drawstring Indian pants.

:-) Christine

Christine, I love the thought of making my own clothing; in fact, my oldest dd (7) is interested in learning to sew, so it would be boon for us all. I feel overwhelmed at starting because I barely have time to take care of essentials, it seems. But, Rome wasn't built in a day, to coin a tired phrase! Perhaps you can recommend a good first step. My aunt has a sewing machine she is going to give us. I know basic hand-sewing. What's next?

I'd love to hear your suggestions on reconstructing. I've also been thinking about your dilemma of not wanting to retype everything each time you answer a question. Your wanting to answer in real time is admirable. Yet, you may be able to do that without having to re-type everthing, especially information basic to your program.

I'm sure you've thought of this -- but, you could answer all questions in your word-processing program, saving it with a topical name (e.g., posture, clothing, breathing, etc.) with enough specificity that your can use it again and tailor it to a particular person's question. You have a word processign file for all this. Just cut and paste your response into the comment section of the forum, and then modify as needed. It's an extra step in the beginning, but in the long term will save time. As a lawyer, I've learned the art of cutting and pasting! Just an idea.

They're in the Lifestyle forum....have fun!