Pregnancy and Birth after prolapse-- my story

Body: 

I posted this about a month ago, but with my computer problems it was posted in the old forum never to be seen...

Everyone's experiences are different of course, but I'd like to share mine as a source of hope and encouragement. My first daughter was born in 2000 via c/section. I had always had some issue with bm's and didn't have the greatest diet. I did not want to undergo the knife again so I researched natural childbirth and discovered my local hospital would force me to have a repeat c/s if I went there so I decided on homebirth--which was not something I ever thought I would do. But through all of my research I trusted in my body's ability to birth a child without being interupted impatient and rude nurses or doctors and I trusted my midwives to be in tune to a laboring woman and know danger signs. I also knew that being less than five minutes from my local hospital that I would get as quick of medical attention as if I were actually in the hospital since even "emergency" c/s usually happen 30 minutes after the doctor decides it's an emergency. so all that being said, I had a gentle homebirth and then I discovered I prolapsed and I was devastated. All three of my organs dropped and there seemed no hope. I was terrified of getting pregnant again even though I wanted a large family.

Well as God would have it I got pregnant unexpectedly, just as my body was starting to feel normal again. I was afraid and then I found Christine's site. I held the posture until my growing body could do it no longer and I walked daily strengthening all those muscles. I had another awesome homebirth that was so gentle and wonderful. I beleive around 8 weeks postpartum I felt low again, but it was nothing compared to after my second birth and today I hardly notice the prolapse. IF I do not take care to get enough fiber, I suffer for it with the rectocele. And every month when my period hits I get a slight panic attack because when I feel the moisture (before I know I've started) a thought goes through my mind that it's prolapse--but then when I go to the restroom I discover it's moisture and not organs.

I would not hesitate to get pregnant and have birth again. I am not afraid of prolapse or its worsening. Even if it did the joy of a baby is worth it. What causes me to hesistate is wondering if my three children now would get enough attention and if we can afford it (because I'd love to go part-time).

We all have to take the power of knowledge in our own hands. I thought perhaps I should have a c/s with baby 3 to avoid further prolapse, but thanks to the information Christine provided me, the sites I researched, etc. I beleived that my chances were very good for a natural birth in my home again. And it was the most wonderful experience. It was so nice to be in my own clothes and in my own bed to snuggle my minutes-old newborn. And recovery was so much easier than that after a surgical birth.

By the way, I will press this point forever-- the body goes through great trauma during pregnancy and birth (regardless of the type) and it needs rest and recovery afterwards. I hired help for after the birth of my 3rd. She helped care for the older children and took care of the housework while I snuggled in bed for two weeks with my precious new one. My husband joked that my pajamas could probably stand up on their own because I stayed in them for the first week after his birth, but it was a powerful reminder to me and the rest of the world that I was in recovery mode.

for sharing your story. It is very hopeful to hear how you've fared with pregnancy and birth after prolapse.

Our stories have similarities. My first birth was medically intervened, even though I planned a natural birth. My daughter was vacuum assisted; and I tore in the upper vaginal tissue and required a blood transfusion after losing over half my blood. I really feel I was bullied by the doctors for intervention. I could hold out no longer. I agreed to the pitocin; but my one consolation is that I didn't use any pain meds. Somehow this gives me some pride in it all. I can't blame them. I made poor choices on medical care. Then, I had a post partum infeciton that I got in the hospital, spent 4 more days in the hospital, had to stop breastfeeding -- I made a heroic attempt to re-establish my milk supply and my dd then went on to nurse over 4 years! Boy, what regret I would have had had Inever nursed her!

Needless to say, I never wanted to see the inside of a hospital again; My second dd was born in a free-standing birth center with a midwife -- an old victorian home by candlelight with no medical intervention. And, my third was born at home almost 11 months ago (a boy). I had slight stress incontinence after first birth. Kegels and another pg seemed to take care of it. But, after #3, I had prolapse.

I too have wondered whether it would be possible to have another after prolapse. Your story shows it is possible. I wonder, for myself, since my prolapse showed up after #3, did it worsen with each pregnancy/delivery? That's my hesitation (among other things). This may be it for us, who knows. All I know is that I feel blessed beyond belief with the wonderful family I have.

I have read many of your posts Jane and you have truly been an inspiration for me.........thank you! I was wondering how you had been doing. I am glad you are doing so well!

Michelle.

I really do not know that we will ever know for sure why things loosen up. I tend to beleive that the one time event of a natural birth is not as dangerous as poor posture and poor diet when it comes to prolapse. I do think that the cutting of my fascia for the c/s probably put me at higher risk to prolapse. But there are so many women who are young, who have never had children, who have only birthed via c/s, who have only had natural vaginal births that have prolapsed that it seems to lesson pregnancy and birth as the main culprits. We have been changed by motherhood. My dough-ball-belly testifies to that. My maternal instinct and strong intuition that provides my children with their greastest protection is yet another testimony. So long as I am not in pain or greatly annoyed by these new changes and I have a positive outlook, I will not fear. I have power knowing that what I can choose what I put in my mouth and those food choices will contribute to the overall strength of my whole system. I can choose the exercises that I put my body through and they too will contribute to strengthening and renewing my system. Having that power is what causes me not fear.

Gosh Jane, your comments about snuggling your newborn baby in bed truly brought tears of warm, (and recent), remembrance to my eyes. How glorious those times are for all us Mums. I would gladly do it all again over and over if I could............... Now I will go off and snuggle my eight week and 2 1/2 year old girls!! :)
Thank you. Michelle.