hygene help

Body: 

Hi All,
So there is a gathering of druids being held in late July which involves camping. I really really would like to go and not have my health issues pose a barrier to doing what is meaningful to me in life. However I am facing some crazy challenges trying to manage my prolapse in a clean way while not seeing what I am doing. Yesterday I had a bit of an ibs flare, and had to use a glove to dig out poop and push the rectal prolapse back inside. It was a messy diarrhea bout. Anyway I was at church in a public bathroom. I got a bag I use for dog cleanup and had the idea of putting the soiled glove into the bag and tying it before throwing away. When I tried to put the glove into the bag, I didn't hold it perfectly upright (it was slippery) and poop got all over the floor. Then after wiping up I accidentally clogged the toilet. This cannot happen again. I am allergic to aloe lotion, so have a hard time finding wipes I can safely use.

Does anyone have a brand or type of wipe you can recommend that doesn't contain aloe? I would grately appreciate that suggestion!

Also, any advice you can give me about staying clean would be really helpful. I was so embarrassed yesterday that I just closed the bathroom door behind me and ran outside so no one would associate what happened with me. I found out that the camp site for the group will have running toilets which is giving me hope. However my experience yesterday while not camping and just trying to live normal life proved to me that I might be incapable of spending a lot of time out in public. Trying to properly dispose of gloves when not sure where the trash can is or unsure how to take the soiled glove off inside out without spraying poop is mind boggling to me. I have to be able to do this without any mess. I can only be grateful that the poop didn't drip on my clothes, or I would have gone straight home and curtailed all subsequent commitments I had that day.

Being blind is proving to pose crazy challenges to this issue. i can't tell anyone about this and would rather mess up a thousand bathrooms than have a friend come in with me to help me dispose and wipe up without incident. Need help.

Forum:

I should add that at home the trash can is directly next to the toilet and I don't have to put the gloves into a bag, just throw them inside out into the lined can which hasa lid on it to keep down the smell. So I can keep the damages down at home, but it's much much harder in unfamiliar surroundings.

Tree Woman, I have a feeling that there are baby wipes for sensitive skin that don’t contain aloe. We will be on the lookout for some the next time we’re shopping, and see if we can come up with some brand names. There may even be some flushable ones. Moms out there?

I’m thinking that your basic system for cleaning up just needs a few tweaks and more practice. You could use toilet paper to wipe off the gloved hand in the direction of the toilet, then when you go to remove the glove, there will be nothing to spray. A little more care with the bag so that it is held open enough for everything to go inside that needs to, without making a mess.

Even if you don’t want to take a friend into the bathroom when you have to do all of this, I hope you’ll take someone with you to scope out the campground bathroom situation as soon as you get there. You don’t have to shoulder all of this alone.

Make up your mind that you’re going, and don’t let anything stand in your way! Lots of love to you, TW - Surviving

Hi Tree Woman,

How about a Peri Bottle and some Tucks Towelettes? The peri bottle you fill up with water and it has holes in the top so it sprays good, and would probably get most of the poo off better than wipes alone. The Tucks are for hemmoroids, but I think they would be okay to finish up.

Hi Mom30, I haven't heard of Peri Bottles before so thanks for the tip on it. Sounds like a good idea. I used to have tucks and yes they were small and flushable. I can certainly go back to using them. Thanks.

believe that several plans of action will surface
My silicone pessary comes out every nite to sit on my dresser in its container but when we camp it is left in and it does bother me to be left in but the trouble with removing and washin outside of my home factors in and leaving it in place seems the easiest. Also, it has been forced out due to contraction a few times and that is ok at home but in the long pit of a campground toilet, my husband suggested I put my finger up to hold it In place whilst having a bm so as to insure it does not get contracted out.
am still working on ways to stay clean- wish baby wiped came in single packs or do they?

When I was young a long time ago, I went camping very often and I did suffer from diarrhea quite often, in those times the rubber gloves, plastic bags or wipes did not exist and I managed to clean myself with a number of washcloths that I carried in a bag, I was able to rinse and wash them without any body noticing every time I used one, Now cheer up!
Because you can dispose of wipes, gloves and paper in a plastic bag now!
In those times we had to wash by hand inmediatelly our sanitary pads that we made out of towel materials and if we survived all of that you sure can now!
Please do not cancel any bit of your enjoyment time! But ask a person with eyesight to check the facilities with you, there is nothing to be ashamed of, on the contrary!
Have fun, relax and enjoy the shade of your tree that is your name here!

Wow I so appreciate your help and support through this. I have decided to go with my seed group to the gathering and am so glad I didn't succumb to believing that my condition would hold me back from doing something I have always wanted to do! I think I wouldn't have felt emotionally prepared to believe in myself without your advice and knowing I am not alone. My friends have told me it is fine for them to take turns being my sighted guide, and I am sure one of them won't mind helping me orient to the bathrooms. Perhaps I can even bring a small cannister to use as a garbage can on the go so that during the road trip part I can keep sanitary in unfamiliar places and then recycle the container at the end of the trip. Already thinking of more options. Thanks.

It's so amazing how others' ideas can get our minds going. You know the possibilities -- you know your limitations and you know which friends you can trust to help you out so that you can enjoy your trip.

'Way to go!! Have a great time!!

w2k