Bioidentical vaginal gel

Body: 

I was just prescribed some bioidentical (compounded) vaginal gel to (supposedly) strengthen my vaginal walls and bladder. It has testosterone and estradiol in it.

Has anyone used this kind of product and benefited from it?

Thanks.

Abqangel, there are many discussion threads on this forum that you can search for on the subject of topical estrogens. The bottom line is that they are absorbed into the system, despite many claims and beliefs that this absorption is minimal. You would need to weigh these risks against the degree of symptom relief you get from the tissues being thickened by hormones. i see from other posts that you have a vaginal vault prolapse and I assume that you have had hysterectomy. - Surviving

Thanks for your response. Yes, I had a hysterectomy three years ago and life has never been the same.

I'm only in my mid-40's, so this is pretty scary. I've been told that the bioidenticals are safe to take until at least the time I would have normally come into menopause (early 50's) so I feel fairly comfortable with trying the gel and was even told that the pharmacy could add some topical pain meds to try to make me more comfortable so I may try that too.

Did you also have a hysterectomy? - - what is your situation?

Thanks for writing back. I'm new at this game.

No, haven't had hyst or any prolapse repairs. I'm post-menopause with rectocele and cystocele which I've been managing non-surgically since discovering Christine's work 3-1/2 years ago.

So you have a bit more on your plate to deal with than I do. I have read quite a bit about hysterectomy in recent years, since both mother and sister had it done, and because we talk about it so much on this site. Clearly there are lots of side effects and after effects that doctors aren't being up-front about.

You need to experiment and find what makes you feel better. There are risks to just about everything, but if you are aware of them you can make the decisions that are right for you. And what's right now, might not be right later. I don't know the answer......but hope you can find it. - Surviving