Red Clover Salve

Body: 

Hi There,
I am going to make the Red Clover Salve, I have watched Christines video in the village, but cannot understand the quantities of the ingredients. Is it 8 pints of water - 2 pints of Red Clover - 1 pint Alfalfa - 1 pint of Pumpkin Oil and 1 1/2 oz of beeswax?

I don't want to make a bit batch to start with and wondered if anyone has made this before.

Thank you very much for your help

I watched the video and wrote down the following:

8 parts water
2 parts red clover
1 part alfalfa
8 parts oil (she says "equal parts" which I take to mean the same amount of oil as water)

In the video, she uses pints for parts. She then uses 1-1/2 ounces of wax per pint of oil.

I think I'm reading this right, but I can't be sure and I have never made it myself. if I were going to make some, I would certainly start with a much smaller batch the first time.

If you try it, let us know how it comes out! Maybe I'll be motivated. - Surviving

I am a lazy bones. I just choose a base with a ratio of oil to wax that suits the purpose required, ie it is the right consistency when it is cooled. I use straight anhydrous lanolin for dermatitis on my hands because it is very tacky and will stay on, particularly where I want it to stay on over night, or where a task involving water is concerned. I use sorbolene cream for facial application. I use a coconut oil and beeswax mix for vulval use. Coconut oil melts at body temperature so you don't have to rub it to spread it out.

I simply add tincture of red clover, using the number of drops per unit of volume, according to other herbal balm recipes I have seen on the Net. I have been able to purchase the tincture from a pharmacy-based naturopath.

The other alternative is to grind up red clover tea into a fine powder and simply mix it in to the oil. It is a little 'spotty' when you use it, but seems to work quite well.

Louise