Prolapse and sexual expression

Body: 

HI All

Been noodling on what happens with sexual arousal when we have prolapse.

If there is cystocele, and the bladder impinges on the anterior vaginal wall, I wonder where the G-spot goes?

Does it get squashed underneath the descending bladder, or is it on the part of the vaginal wall which becomes stretched out as the bladder comes back into the vaginal space?

If so, does this make the G-spot spread out and become larger, with the nerve endings further apart?

Would this make the G-spot more, or less, sensitive to stimulation?

If the bladder descends to the introitus or beyond, does the G-spot get stimulated by the outer labia, or contact with pubic hair, or the crotch of undies?

Could this unusual stimulation of the G-spot account for the description I have read a few times on the Forums of feeling contantly aroused, which can cause women significant distress?

If there are unwelcome feelings of sexual arousal that accompany POP I think it is worth figuring out what to do with the sensation. If you just want to ignore the sensation there is a risk of your brain ignoring all sensations of arousal, so that might be risky for expression and enjoyment of your sexuality. A woman's sexual energy is so important for her overall wellbeing. To loses contact with that part of you is to lose something of yourself. I think the answer is to channel it to better use.

All sensations in the vulva and vagina are important. They have messages for us. One of these messages is that we have organs impinging on the vagina and vulva. The message here is to get those organs back where they belong. Whole Woman Posture will move your pelvic organs forwards and re-establish more normal positioning for them, where they impinge less on the vaginal space, and function more efficiently.

If a woman has been turned off from her sexual sensations and desires early in life, perhaps she learns to ignore sexual sensations in the genitals and as an adult ignores early POP symptoms as well? She may feel no need to attend to these weird sensations while the POP is minor because she is blocking all sensations in the genitals, including pleasurable sensations. Once she can no longer ignore the pressure, discomfort and fullness, further damage may have been done to the endopelvic fascia that support her pelvic organs, and prolapse may be major and less easy to manage without surgery.

This is a good reason to educate our daughters to heed the sensations in their pelvis from an early age and teach them bit by bit how to enjoy their bodies in ways that affirm their Feminine identity, do them no harm, and ways that honour the sensibilities of others. Sexuality is a part of life that needs to be celebrated. It is a part of our essential energy, from birth through to death.

Whole Woman education needs to begin with little girls as soon as they are aware that they are human, and especially when they become aware that they are different from little boys. Young children are so impressionable. Positive reinforcement of what it means to be female needs to begin young. It is so hard to un-learn erroneous attitudes that were taught to us when we were very young. Equally, affirming attitudes learned while we are very young will be with us right through our lives.

I am not suggesting that we should introduce the concept of 'penis in vagina' sex to toddlers. I am saying that we are sexual beings from birth, that our sexual energy is only one part of our overall energyl, and that each child has the right to be nurtured and preserved from harm. That means affirming them, validating their feelings, allowing them to express themselves, encouraging them to experience joy, giving them tools to make their way through life intact in body, mind and soul.

Forum:

Most I think feel that sexuality is a private thing and most would consider Ms Cyrus' behaviour if she were not thought of as clever entertainment as disgusting.
I enjoyed your essay very much and agree with what is said but also recognize the modesty that I sense is desirable with one's sexuality. This modesty is likely the very thing that keeps data from being readily available.

I think one of the reasons why we kind of keep our sexuality under wraps is because it is a wild thing. I am a wee bit frightened of mine sometimes but I think it is a bit like taking a four year old to the supermarket. If you do it regularly they can be quite civilised, particularly when practice means that the experience is predictable and therefore less scary.

I am by nature pretty modest, believe it or not. I am not one for wearing revealing clothes and looking like I am out to sexually attract every man I see. I certainly don't behave provocatively in a sexual way. No, no! I would find that would make me feel 'not safe'. Perhaps it is just my sexually repressed upbringing? However, I now recognise sexual pleasure as just an extension of pleasure. Why would we seek any pleasure, other than that it makes us feel good feelings? What is wrong with good feelings, as long as they are not at the expense of another person?

Myley Cyrus? Foolish young creature. Not my cup of tea.

I am not really after data. Who would fund research into the sexual response of women with a prolapse of the sexual and reproductive organs??? I am really asking women on this Forum to think about what happens to the vagina, vulva and uterus, and how they might experience sexual arousal differently from before, and invite them to share their experiences.

Louise

Different? Yes, it is different than before prolapse. More thoughtful, more intimate, because we have to communicate more than we did before. I had a retroverted uterus that he would bump with his penis, and it really hurt. Now, I think the uterus is going in a different direction, and I can actually feel him pushing her up, but it is not painful. I like that!
I never was one for finding the magical g spot. Maybe I had at times, but I now really prefer our slow sensual lovemaking, discovering each other in a whole different way.
Whole woman has actually made me feel more womanly and not ashamed of my body as I have been my whole life before this dreaded prolapse. Ya, prolapse is scarey in itself, but learning to do things differently and working around it has been rewarding in more ways than I first realized it would!

Hi Louise et al,
Thank you for the interesting debate. I agree it would be helpful to have a healthy attitude towards sexuality as a natural part of our human development, experience and existence, from an earl age.

I also agree with aging gracefully, that a happy loving relationship and sexuality is more important than analysing distinct sexual elements of the whole sexual experience. However having said that, I think many of us have felt anxious at times by the possible adverse consequences of pop and our sex lives.

I also manage a uterine pelvic organ prolapse. I now wonder whether the pain I experienced during intercourse in my late teens, with my (well endowed ex boyfriend), was due to pop as I had already been diagnosed with a retroverted uterus. However, nowadays I enjoy intercourse partly because I have the feeling that my cervix is being pushed up into place above my pubic bones.

Re the G Spot: I think I read in the book 'the story of V' that there was no single g-spot that every women experienced; That yes, some women felt a definite spot in a particular place, but other women felt this spot in a different spots within the vaginal passage and others experienced a more general orgasmic area over a more divers area. If I recall rightly this is because the clitoris is just the tip of a larger organ which wraps around the vaginal passage, perhaps in different configurations amongst different women. Women therefore may experience the pleasure zones differently for this reason.

So much to learn and explore. Homework homework:)
xwholewomanuk

I logged in to say congrats to Louise - I was so happy to hear about your marvelous tantric journey!
But I couldn't find your post - was it deleted?
Anyway, that's wonderful news. Happy tantra!

Spot-on. I am sure both your comments will help to fill in the missing pieces in many women's very private thoughts on POP and sex. We are indeed very diverse in our sexual like and dislikes. Vive la difference!

Curiosity, I don't think it has been deleted. You might be able to find it by putting "tantr" into the Forum Search box. There are not a lot of posts mentioning Tantra. I am particularly interested to hear from anyone who practices Tantra and whether they think prolapse affects the way we do asanas and practices, sexual or not (because sexual practices are only one aspect of Tantra).

Louise

forgot the name but as I remember and agree with- the g spot is on the anterior vagina- that part of vagina that is closest to the clitoris but still vaginal,

Hi Aging Gracefully

The G spot stimulation is not usually 'pleasant' or effective until the vagina is well aroused. Your slow sensual lovemaking may eventually enable you to find it. :-)

So glad your uterus has moved.

:-)