Hips!!!

Body: 

Just got my hips book and DVD in the mail a couple of days ago. Fabulous read so far!! It really amazes me how we as a society have been so technologically advanced, and yet still not truly understand the biomechanics and physiology of our own bodies.
I remember when taking anatomy and physiology actually holding a repaired hip in my hand and looking at how the metal was sutured into the bone. I wondered at the time why it couldn't just crack off the bone like a nail splinters a piece of wood!!
Although I worked in the nursing homes, I never knew why so many people came in to recover from hip surgery. The theory was always brittle bones from not drinking enough milk- not enough calcium in the diet. In the dairy state? I couldn't quite wrap my head around that. In anatomy and physiology we were taught that the bones build as we walk and use them. Little fractures that are constantly repairing or something like that. It was fascinating anyway.
The only other thing I knew about these people is that the hip broke before they fell, and recovery was a 50/50 proposition. Really sad now to think that something as simple posture could have prevented so many of these tragedies.

Love the DVD as well!
I was a little skeptical of the chair exercise, but pulled my chair out, sat with the ladies, and did those upper back exercises. Felt so good!!
Once again, thank you so much Christine and family for looking out for us!!!

I'm so glad to hear, AG. This work brings a whole new angle on hips and hip surgery that is desperately needed as people just do not understand how astray orthopedics has gone. As I work with more and more women with hip issues (young and old) the WW principles are continually validated.

I must explain that we are in overload trying to get all the books shipped, as our shipper, Ryan, went on vacation (he didn't plan it this way!) the day the books arrived. So I beg your patience as we ship as fast as we can. He will be back tomorrow morning. If you haven't received yours, please don't feel left out as it will be along very soon.

I'll be writing my first blog soon.

Exciting!

Christine

It's casual Friday and I'm wearing my WW tee-shirt to the office. Hoping this will bring me luck and bring a hips package to my door........ - Surviving

Mine arrived last week and I've attempted the workout three times so far. My aim is to do the exercises every day in November and then do an initial review of the bundle. So far most of it seems easy yet powerful, requiring patience and focus...except the box workout - that is an absolute killer for me! Oh, which reminds me, you need some sort of step/box to do some of the workout. I bought an aerobic stepper.

Fingers crossed it's working - the last few weeks I've found my hips/knees to be much more problematic.

As the wider ramifications of this posture work continue to burrow their way into my brain, I find there are still epiphanies to be had, and changes that become apparent even after 3-1/2 years of diligent work. Those who abandon this work when they don't get a quick fix, are throwing so much away, aren't they?

I have always felt a twinge of guilt at Christine's statement that eventually, slouching into soft furniture will no longer feel so comfy. For me, it continued to feel just fine, long after I should have stopped doing it, and knew it. But something has happened over the last few weeks. Folks, she was right, it really doesn't feel good anymore. After awhile I start to get a twinge in the lower spine and hip area that is somewhere between a dull ache, and a sort of numbing sensation. Whatever you call it, it makes me want to rearrange my body and get that lumbar curvature back.

What is happening is that my body is continuing to mold into correctness. I can see it in the mirror as well......not as pronounced as it should be, but certainly more than it was, and not half bad for someone my age who had so many years of bad posture to make up for.

So please keep studying and keep working. The hips book is very detailed and will provide some meaty reading and re-reading for a long time to come. The exercise moves are in many cases deceptively simple, and will make you think about things you might have been ignoring before. There just isn't any room for doubt about these teachings, and anyone not embracing this knowledge needs a wake-up call pronto!!! - Surviving

Many thanks Christine & family for the Hips Book & DVD which arrived yesterday 18th November "Down Under"...
(((hugs))) & Best wishes,
Aussie Soul Sister

I have never been so disappointed. I have a very high reading comprehension and learning about the intricacies of the human body and how all of its amazing systems work so beautifully together has been more than a hobby of mine - having trained and worked as an EMT and medical secretary after graduating top in my class, I find the body a totally fascinating piece of creation. And although I found "Saving Your Hips" very informative, I was never so disappointed in that the technical jargon goes on and on, which will lose the general layperson. Really, the information presented is obviously written for those who are in the orthopedic world. And only 1 chapter (about 22 pages) are dedicated to how to avoid the surgeries and treatment techniques. Then to top it off, my DVD player does not recognize the disc so I have yet to check out that information. This is money that could have been spent more wisely. :-(

I'm shocked and sorry that you feel that way. First let me point out that the DVD contains the workouts and moves needed to prevent/treat hip problems, so once you can get that playing, that problem will be solved. Book/DVD are not even sold separately. They must go together.

The book is quite dense and technical, it is true. So are large parts of Saving The Whole Woman - so perhaps your expectations were different from others who have studied and followed Christine's work for any length of time. I myself am on my second reading, and I'm sure there will be more. But given your background, I refuse to believe that you would have trouble with it.

And now, with all due respect, I will address your last comment. I do not believe there is anyplace where your money could have been better spent. Such a comment really has no place on this forum, and I apologize deeply to Christine on your behalf. - Surviving

Hi All,

I'm sure there will be many kinds of responses to the book over time. It wasn't remotely written solely for the orthopedic community, but I had to use orthopedic and radiologic concepts and vocabulary to explain the issues around surgery. It is not at all an exaggeration to say orthopedic hip surgery is out of control. This is one of the main messages contained in the book and I couldn't explain it without using technical language and concepts

That said, it was the opinion of several lay readers that the book was quite comprehensible. My editor and other readers actually helped me simplify the book as much as possible. I knew I was asking my readers to step up to another level of comprehension in order to understand how at risk our population is from the hip surgery industry.

Thank you so much, Surviving, for coming to my defense, but I am not at all offended by these comments. I would only ask, 1h, that you make yourself a stiff cup of tea ;) sit down and have another go at the book. It is just amazing how the situation has transpired over 150 years or so and I want as many people as possible to be aware of it.

I could've written a very easy book, but then no one would've believed it. From where I sit now, the subject of degenerative hip disease is actually quite simple. There are only a very few things the hip does as the body deforms under the forces of gravity. I worked with a couple of women last week with dysplasia and was delighted they could understand their conditions once the bigger picture was pointed out to them.

My plan is to make this all the more understandable through my blogs. I completed my first blog post weeks ago now, but we decided to make it into a video blog and unfortunately encountered a sound problem with our equipment. We are planning to post it in written form later today. As I recall, it is a general essay on the state of the situation - just something to get the conversation going. I belong to several online hips forums and am continually shocked that so many young people are signing up for operations that make no anatomic sense - nor can they be defended by the diagnostic criteria or imaging studies.

I can only encourage you to read the book again and to please call our offices about the problem with your dvd.

Sincerely,

Christine

Dear Christine, sorry will finish this later - accidentally posted as I was copying what I had written to finish later.