Recumbant Bicycle or Eliptical Trainer

Body: 

Hi, I'm tyring to figure out the best way to get cardio exercise and not aggravate my cystocele.

Right now I ride the recumbant bicycle because I assume sitting is better than standing, but you can't use the correct posture while riding and it makes my tailbone ache.

I know the elyptical trainer is good because it is low-impact, but I assumed it is bad because you are standing and "climbing."

My favorite exercise is to walk, but I also assume that this isn't the way to go (again, gravity). Though, strangely, my symptoms always seem to improve after the first ten minutes of a brisk walk. Is that normal?

Thanks for your insights.

Hi Ann,
I think that even the "health professionals" who have such differing opinions about pelvic health seem to agree that walking is OK and it does make sense that it would be as long as it isn't too uncomfortable. I walk right now and I have to say it has not made anything worse at all. (I also remember reading somewhere on this forum I think that someone walked and like you had relief of symptoms after a few minutes. I would imagine that this is a good sign but of course I am only guessing here). This whole exercise issue has been another area of frustration for me as no one seems to have the same opinion!! I have read several Dr's advising that yoga is fine because it is low impact but as already mentioned here there are several poses which certainly do stress the pelvic floor. I am thinking about starting Tai Chi. It is something I have been interested in for a while and is certainly low impact. I am of course looking forward to some running but not for a while. :) Hope that helps a little!!??

I believe that Christine in her video recommends walking while maintaining the posture to help prolapse. If I remember correctly she also said a brisk walk seems to help and that the posture work is best done against gravity.

Amy

Ann, I too have been pleasantly surprised to see a noticeable difference in position after a long walk or moderately strenuous exercise. So you will probably benefit from whatever you choose as long as you pick something you like and will stick with it.

The recumbant bike places the body in a relaxed form of that same jackknife position that we are trying to avoid. Working with gravity is really the key here, and brisk walking and walking uphill are great - in the posture! :-)

I have to say, I can't believe how much better I feel, just having found this site. Not one single doc or PT could help me understand why walking would relieve the symptoms and said that it was probably not a good idea to walk because of the downward pressure. Instead, I was advised to use the recumbant bike. Everything is making so much more sense now.

I live 5 minutes from the beach, so I am soo excited to take off my shoes and get walking. The question is, what is the safest way to carry my baby while walking (in the posture) on the beach?

Thanks SO much,

Ann

I just wanted to add that I am another person who feels better after taking a brisk walk. We live in a fairly hilly area so I get to walk uphill a lot ;).

And my little doggie is much happier now that I'm feeling better and out and about a lot more, I think he was missing his long walks with me.

Ann...a walk along the beach sounds awesome, I also live close to the beach and you've inspired me to go down with babe this weekend. Do you have any baby carriers? Perhaps an Ergo or a chinese baby carrier (meitai) might work out really well for you. I don't have one myself (yet) but I've heard really great things about the Ergo. My chiro uses it with his 8 month old.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts about the elliptical trainer? And would using a regular exercise bike be better than the recumbent?

Peace.
Michele