Honey for Vaginal Health

Body: 

Dear all,
I plan to purchase Christine's DVD on Vulva Vaginal Health, however in the meantime I have searched the site before asking my Qs.
At my health food shop, I found a jar of raw organic honey, which has small quantities of propolis & pollen.
I have put some in my vagina twice now, before sleep. I know to put it in high up, & some advice says to rub it on the vaginal walls, however both times I've experienced significant stinging & about 1" up on the right of the vaginal wall & near the entrance. I did notice an increase in vaginal fluid at the time of stinging as if it was trying to get rid of the honey. The stinging does ease after a few minutes & the next day my vagina seems very happy & moist.
My Qs are - has anyone else experienced this stinging, & does it always happen, & is it something I need to be concerned about?
The benefits seem to outweigh the initial stinging, though it is alarming.
I did think about using an applicator but it would still be difficult not to get some honey near the bits that sting...
looking forward to hearing thoughts on this,
Best wishes,
Aussie Soul Sister

I have never used honey with the bits and pieces in it, but I have used the honey for vaginal burning, and it relieved the burning sensation almost immediately. I didn't rub it in either, just applied a tiny amount just inside.
That is an interesting theory about the stingers. I guess the only way to tell if that would be true is to try the filtered honey. What issues are you having that you need the honey?

Hi Aging Gracefully,
Thankyou for your answer - I am not quite in menopause yet - I could probably say I am on the road to menopause, with the accompanying "power surges", & a gradual dryness & burning of the vaginal walls during intimacy. I do use coconut oil, however I do believe that the honey does a different job, preventing or easing sensitivity, dryness & atrophy, & feeding the good bacteria - am I right?
By the bits that sting - I meant me!! There are no stingers in the honey!! Oh the thought!! I'm allergic to bee -stings though not badly as antihistamines are all I need for swelling...
Will try the more processed honey - somebody on here uses Manuka - I just thought that the raw stuff was recommended more for its closer to nature properties...
I have not healed properly from 3 episiotomies, & do seem prone to tearing a little in the perinium,so that may be why there was stinging, but as far as I know there was no tear at the time. Sorry TMI - I'm thinking out loud to cover all angles so to speak...
Thanks & Best wishes,
Aussie Soul Sister

You don't have to buy the processed honey. I get local honey at my health food store that is simply filtered of all the bits and pieces. It is still the raw honey. I saw the manuka honey there, also. It was like $40.00 for a tiny jar!
Yes, I remember reading some posts from Christine where she did say the honey was good for all those things you listed. I think I am almost to the point you are, but I am still having periods, and not so much the vaginal dryness. But feel more and more like I am not as moist as I used to be. Have you tried other lubricants for sex?
I also had 3 episiotomies, but never had tearing with them afterwards. Wow, that doesn't sound like fun at all. Think out loud all you want. We are here to listen.

p.s. I think I also read that honey has a healing affect to it, so more benefits to honey. But, I think I also heard that you should use honey from your local area, but forget the reason why. Maybe someone else would know.

The honey I have is organic, minimally processed & all Aussie, and reasonably priced, compared to Manuka!!
The small amounts of propolis seem to be beneficial according to google. I think local may mean local farm produce which is often organic but not always. I am in city suburbs, & I could get some honey from someone I know but it would be untreated from their hive - not sure if the nether regions could cope with that, even with domestic filtering lol ( Oh!! that stray bee sting / wings etc, not to mention a leg or 2!!) lol.
I think my perineum has been prone to tearing just slightly since having children.
I have tried other commercial brands of lubricant, choosing the most "natural" available, which was fruit based,for vaginal dryness due to breastfeeding, & it stung, so was very relieved to find coconut oil.
I have thought about getting an applicator to put the honey up higher in the vagina, so that it doesn't get near the entrance so much.
I believe we are about the same age which I hope you think is as cool as it is for me. Thankyou for your thoughts,
From across the world,
Best wishes,
Aussie Soul Sister

Hi Aussie SS,

Yes, the honey does sting - but not severely and only momentarily. My impression is that the vagina begins to be cultured very soon after application, as we literally live in a sea of beneficial bacteria. The discharge you describe I feel is the lactobacilli! These organisms were in our vagina all throughout our reproductive years and they are what normalize vaginal/vulva tissue. I can go about two days without, after which I am miserable until I apply more honey. I've had a few little itchy bumps around my clitoris since menopause, which I now treat with a little lime juice every time I apply the honey. I buy what we call Mexican limes - the tiny ones also known as Key limes. I slice them in half and one half I rub on a little scaly spot on the top edge of my upper (mouth) lip (I bet it would be considered pre-cancerous) and the other half down below. I don't experience any - or at least hardly any - stinging from the lime and it is reducing these bumps to tiny dots. Mother Nature knows best!

Best always SS,

Christine

Dear Christine,
Thankyou for explaining about the lactobacilli ( they must have been very hungry) !! lol
I feel better about using honey now & your suggestion of key lime juice, particularly as I have a couple of scaly spots which come & go on my face - was born in the UK, & have a complexion that gets sun - burnt easily. I will use the juice & let my body do the rest. Scaremongering into being treated "just in case", is an epidemic in itself...
I think some of the burning could be due to a midline episiotomy that has left a propensity to split slightly from the edge, & I have what I believe now to be a split stitch a bit further in on the inside of the perineum, which has healed open, (I have had 2 medialateral episiotomys also) I believe that the honey will help sooth the area. Yippee!
Best wishes,
Aussie Soul Sister

Hi everyone, I am brand new here. Can't remember what led me here. I have some prolapse but my biggest whole woman problem is vulvodynia. It is not "skin" related but muscle related due to severe stress and constipation. Anyway, I also have lost my vaginal moisture and am so so dry. I was reading about honey. I cringe to think about putting honey "up there". Isn't it sticky and gooey? I love honey, don't get me wrong, but doesn't it make you feel sticky and nasty when you put it there. I need something and it sounds like it really works but before I try it would someone please address this question for me. Thanks.

You put the tiniest amount on the tip of your finger and then stick it up in there. I never noticed stickiness from it. I had some burning issues early on in my prolapse, applied the honey a few days and the burning went away. It actually created a lubricating feeling once the lactobacilli start feeding on it. Really amazing stuff!!

Thanks for the explanation. Don't know if I can get my finger past the painful vulva, but I'll try. The tiniest bit huh? Okay I'll try it when I go to bed.

Been trying the raw honey to ease vaginal burning and it really helps. Would like to try to make a balm with coconut oil, beeswax and the red clover extract. Does anyone know how much extract to use??

Christine actually has a whole DVD on vaginal and vulva health. It is in the whole woman store.
It gives a great explanation and home treatments, as well as some fabulous recipes. You might want to check that out also.

It's just honey.....I am not sure what your concern is, but if you're worried about something, go ahead and wait until you are more comfortable with the idea. - Surviving

Hope it gives you some relief safelyheld. I can't imagine that honey would have anything in it that would hurt you, but I really didn't know if it would make a difference in the post partum vagina. I do really like it though, and never thought that something so simple would work so nicely.

Safelyheld, I just wanted to remind you not to give any of you little ones under the age of one any of that raw honey. They don't have the stomach acid strong enough to destroy the spores in the honey. Just wanted to add that if you didn't all ready know.

Christine's dvd, Vulva Vaginal Health, discusses the use of honey for vaginal comfort during all low-estrogen stages of life - nursing, menopause, and the second half of the menstrual cycle. I would recommend this as another essential resource - we can't explain it as well as Christine herself. - Surviving

I realize this is a dumb question...but what store/s carry a syringe-like applicator for putting honey into the vagina...I have some skinny ones that come with progesterone cream...but think I need a different kind. Also about how much honey do you insert? A tsp?

Hi ElainRain,
All you really need is a very small dab on your finger, and then insert it high up in your vagina. There really is no mess at all doing it this way.

Thnks for your reply, permalink! Today, I actually got a baby syringe - for free - at my pharmacy. For me, using my fingers, I can't always go high enough, usually due to my muscles tightening up on me. Also, I forget to make sure my nails are trimmed and inadvertantly scratch myself! Anyway, gonna insert honey tonite...just not sure whether to use it in conjunction with my compounded estriol suppository, or just do one at a time...?

Hi ElaineRain,
Actually, the honey would be used instead of the estriol suppository. Christine writes about how she uses a dab if honey twice a day for the post menopausal vagina. It actually feeds the natural bacteria, lactobacilli in the vagina, keeping a nice feeling vagina without all those nasty side affects of estrogen creams and such.
My mom actually used Estrace for about 10 years, and ended up with skyrocketed tryglicerides which is listed as one of the side affects. I told her about the honey, and she has been having great results with it.
However you want to get it up there is fine, but try the honey for awhile and see if you like it.

Hi there everyone. I have read a lot of these posts on vaginal health and honey. And I am seeing that the reasons this is being done is for dryness...I understand that part. But what I don't understand is the 'health' part. I have also seen comments on using this instead of the hormone creams. I have not had a period in about 5 years. I am 50. I tried some RX estrogen pills, but they caused my legs to cramp and what felt like bone pain! It was horrid. I have never taken anything again.

I am realizing that I have no clue what vaginal health is...after reading peoples comments here. You guys all seem so smart and I feel like a goon. lol. I mean, I've had a vagina for 50 years and I don't know this stuff.

I have used honey as a pseudo antibiotic for just about anything. Cuts, scrapes when the kids were small. Even used it mixed with herbs to heal a duck that had been attacked by coyotes - she lived. The stuff is amazing to say the least...but what is it doing for our vaginal health? And...even though this is a prolapse site...is this something that should (?) be used to possibly prevent this? (prevent prolapse, that is)

Also, i see comments on buying the book or DVD...Unfortunately I have no income at the moment, so obviously strapped for cash as they say.....Hmm, now that I say that..I have not even checked to see how much they are...guess I better do that. :)

Hi scissors,
Yes, Christine has a dvd called The Whole Woman Way to Vulva Vaginal Health that you can find in the whole woman store. Great information.
Christine has been talking about the benefits of honey for quite some time. That's where I learned about it.
The health benefit part is that honey feeds the natural bacteria lactobacilli in the vagina, and these bacteria go from there to your urethra and rectum keeping everything healthier. We tend to lose our natural bacteria with age and/or other health issues, so that why it is good to feed them.

I actually don't have vaginal dryness yet, but I did notice burning in the beginning of prolapse, and the honey helped tremendously for that while I was working on getting my organs in a better place.

I would also suggest Christine's book Saving The Whole Woman. Loads of background and practical material there. Her First Aid for Prolapse dvd would be a great investment as an introductory into this work also.

Thank you...I will be checking that out this evening...

Hi Elaine: I have not yet used it but I got one today I know this will work great at my pharmacy I picked up a medicine dropper you use to give baby there medicine that are plastic so it will be safe and you can clean them and reuse them I hope this was helpful.

I didn't remember that I had talked about the little (hard, itchy, and painful!) bumps that were around my clitoris for years post-menopause. I must tell you that I believe they were one of the dozens of species of HPV. I dealt with and worried about them for years, knowing they were a precursor to vulva cancer. The last time I went to a gynecologist was when I was 52 or 53 - about ten years ago. At that time I was diagnosed with lichen sclerosis - a silly name for the very common condition of having lost our estradiol-glycogen-lactobacillus cycle. I now know my vulva became cultured with gram-negative bacteria, fungi, and probably HPV, which the doctor did not recognize at the time of diagnosis - even though an area at the base of my clitoris looked like melanoma! I made the decision to work with it rather than pursue medical treatment.

I don't know how many years of regular honey use it took (the lime treatments I described above were very brief - I probably forgot or didn't have time to bother with them) before one day I noticed the bumps were gone. Not just a little gone, but totally GONE!! They have never returned.

From my research I now know that cervical dysplasia - CIN I and CIN II - is highly reversible for years before it transitions to cervical cancer. It is several species of lactobacillus that keep cervical tissue healthy and prevent not only STDs but also cancer. This must be true for the vulva as well.

I know this is heavy information, but all I can do is continue to put my research together and put it out in the world for women's commentary.

There is a lot of shame associated with admitting I contracted a venereal disease as a married women in my forties. It is what it is. Lanny and I have grown far beyond the past and are living a blissful life together serving the world through Whole Woman.

Love from Christine

Fascinating continued information on the benefits of honey, Christine. Thanks so much for coming on and telling us a bit more about your research and your own personal story. You are an inspiration as always. I,among many, are impatiently waiting for your new book to arrive.

Christine... thankyou so much for your journey and research..
..am loving the benefits that this amazing Whole Woman journey bestows!

Much love,

Aussie Soul Sister

Reading the Forum is very useful as awaiting my dvds and books. Visiting in Iowa where there's a farmer's market tomorrow and I can get some honey! It is news to me that the vagina has lactobacillus. The more I find out, the more I realise how my uterus can be treated with respect and symptoms, eg 'flooding' and UTIs, be reduced/eliminated. The kindness of caring women is a true balm also. Thank you.

Thank you so much for the information about honey, Christine. I'm 62 and never heard about this until today. I have known for years that honey has healing properties, but never, ever knew it could help with anything like this.

hello Ladies,

Did anyone heal from vulvodynia because of putting honey in the vagina?
If so could you please let me know. I can use some support.
For two weeks now i have been trying with the help of a small pilotte to bring raw honey into my vagina.
For 10 minutes there is not a little bit stinging but an excruciating burning pain, than it becomes normal again.
But my vagina doesn't seem to become better.
Does it take that long ...do i have to proceed..or am i hurting myself.. are worries that come up.
I would love to hear if there are other women who have healed vulvodynia with this..(or other natural things) . Thank you.

Hi lien,
I have not had vulvodynia but did a quick google, and also read some previous posts on this forum... I am sorry that you have such severe pain.
If the pain is not related to anything physical, using honey shouldn't be a problem, apart from dealing with such pain.
The honey is an amazing life changing tip from Christine.
I have been using it weekly and now using it daily as I am post menopausal.
The more I use it the less it stings and then not at all.
Post menopausal intercourse is now becoming discomfort free for me.
I had post menopausal clamping vaginal muscle issues as well, but the honey and a bit of coconut oil and relaxing breathing, is working together and I am comfortable, burning & clenching pain free and relaxed now.
Christine's WWPosture, as the foundation, and exercises has helped me to experience so much healing, body and soul, that I'm sure your pain could only be helped by her posture and exercise, as well as the honey.
Her approach teaches us to listen to our body and work with it, an amazing journey of discovery and healing for me and many others across the world!

Best Wishes,

Aussie Soul Sister

Reading all the posts about honey and vaginal health here has been amazing. This is such a gift - to read and learn from all that posted about this. I humbly say thank you to all that posted the questions, concerns and advice!!!! It is helping those of us that read this years later!