Has anyone ever healed 100%?

Body: 

I'm new here. I haven't been officially diagnosed with prolapse but I have an appointment with a urogynecologist in 2 weeks. I don't have severe symptoms just stress incontinence and it feels like there might be something bulging down there but not coming out. things just feel different down there after delivering my 9#6oz baby 9 months ago and I'm not so sure it's normal. I can't lose my baby weight (30#) which I'm sure is adding to my symptoms. I used to be very active but now I am really limited on the things I can do. My sex life is really being affected as well. I am really getting depressed about this whole thing. I never heard of any of this before until it happened to me and I'm quite angry I'm going through this. Has anyone ever been fully "cured" before? Have any of you ever been able to get back to regular activities again? I can't live the rest of my life this way. Especially since my livelihood (and my sanity) is based on physical activity.

I have been a member for over a year now. I 'found' my prolapse when due with my 4th child. My little one will be 9 months next week, and he was 9lbs 8oz. I have been doing the posture but don't always get time for the exercise routine, although I still find time for some nauli and firebreathing. Fully cured? No I have not been, but I can be symptom free, and that is a huge deal to me. I will have setbacks every now and again, but I have always figured a way to get to a better spot. I just want you to know that others have been where you are right now, but with WW posture you will be able to improve the issue. This forum is full of ladies who are living proof of this work, and that is what it is.. work, until it becomes habit! Then it is just life! Enjoy your babe, my little one is so busy right now, getting into everything, and cruising the furniture! Love this age, they are just discovering everything!

Hi fitgirl – Yes, it is absolutely normal! The period of post-partum healing can be up to 2 years. During that time, prolapse symptoms often subside, and sometimes go away for a long time (they did for me, for two decades, but came back after menopause). Most of us end up with prolapse eventually. There isn’t a cure, it’s all in how you manage it, and if you do so the right way, you can continue to do virtually any activity that your life involves. If you start this posture work in earnest during the post partum period, and stick with it (forever), you have a good chance of stabilizing and even reversing the symptoms, because your body is much riper for remolding than if you wait until age 60 to start, like I did.

A mild prolapse that is barely symptomatic should not cause a problem with sex. If there is any discomfort, plenty of lube, or some variations of position, should take care of that.

You are going to see a surgeon…..so please know that surgery is the worst thing you can do. If you are young and not done having kids, even the most knife-happy doctor hopefully won’t be urging you onto the operating table now. Just be aware and get educated before you go.

And as agnusdei says – relax and enjoy your babe. This time won’t last long and when it’s gone, it’s gone! Good luck to you. Keep reading around the site and forum, check out the videos on the Resources page, delve and ask questions – we’ve all been there. - Surviving

Thanx ladies. I don't plan on having any surgery (and also won't allow anyone to talk me into it either). I just want the doc to tell me if I truly have prolapse and to what degree. Luckily my physical therapist gave me a list of docs in the area who are cut happy and told me who to avoid (she knows I am anti surgery). I have watched the videos on the resources page and found them very helpful. I haven't bought any of the DVDs yet because their are so many choices and I'm overwhelmed. Because money is very tight, I just want to make sure I get the right one to start with. Which one would be the best for someone just starting out?

hi fit,

most women start with the whole woman bundle: christine's book, saving the whole woman, her DVD first aid for prolapse, and her exercise baton we have turned from hard maple in maine, which she uses in almost all of her exercise programs. it's $99, a savings of $28 over the al la carte prices, so it's a good value and contains the most complete and accurate information on successful non-surgical management of prolapse available today. if you click on this link, you can see the description.

you can do this, but you may have to entertain some paradigm shifts in terms of how you have thought about "fitness" historically.

all the best,
lanny (christine's DH)

p.s. be sure to download "a husband's guide to prolapse" in the library. print it out and give it to your honey. it's a project you need to work on together. l.

I need more of a positive result because of my situation. I can't pick up weights and demonstrate exercises all day for work so basically I have lost my livelihood from this sudden injury/condition. I live with my boyfriend who wants to get engaged (he mentioned it a few days into my suspected prolapse, I hadn't told him about the new me yet). However, now that the new me is revealed (I just sent him the letter to husband 5 minutes after her told me it's just like a broken arm, you get the surgery and fix it- he won't read the letter), I don't know how he's going to feel. You see, he's the bread winner and I take care of our home while he's gone all week: groceries (up 3 flights of stairs) laundry and keep myself in shape with work and working out. I wait on him hand and foot when he comes home on the weekends. We've both been very happy with this arrangement. It's perfect for both of us. I get to help people for a living even though there's no money in it AND I get to take care of the man that I love while he works hard to support us. So, now, I can't work. Can't take care of the house while he's gone Mon- Friday AND he has to take care of me and the house when he gets home after working his butt off all week and then driving all the way back home, all while being solely responsible for the bills. I feel horrible even asking him, we aren't even married. I can't lift anything so my 48 year-old muscular body will be diminishing all while we can't have sex.
The things that give me joy in life these days since my children are gone are the following:
WORK - but can't do it anymore or until some time in the distant future with no known capacity if at all
WORKOUT - it gets the endorphins pumping and makes me feel and look good - can't do that any any real capacity for an undetermined amount of time and not sure what capacity when the day comes?
SUP OR SURF - This is my passion and where I get my vitamin D and joy in life. It's part of my social habits and it's what my boyfriend and I do when we travel which we like to do a lot.
SEX - I am a healthy, fit, sexual 48 year-old woman who has a great sex life with my 46 year-old boyfriend but now I'm telling him that my bladder is falling out of my vagina and intercourse may hurt and we can't have it for awhile and may have to do it differently…

Now I am the most upbeat, optimistic person who motivates people all day so I "get" all of the encouraging words here and appreciate the effort, but honestly I feel extremely depressed for the first time in my life. If I can't get a grip on this and
-lose my wonderful healthy (until this happened) relationship with my boyfriend
-can't be physical enough to continue to be and look like a personal trainer
-feel self-conscious about my own body and sexuality, dating again will be a blast I'm sure. It's hard enough when you feel great.
My life is losing the joy and fulfillment that I had until 3 weeks ago. Please give me all that you've got because I've got the top 3 stressors from this:
1 - loss of job/career even
2- financial bankruptcy
3 - loss of health and physical ability
4 - loss of sexuality
5 - loss of the active, fun person that I was before this. Activity was my whole life and passion. Now I'm stretch in and breathing and going crazy.
6 - loss of love relationships (after all he's just waiting for me to get the surgery for my "broken arm" right away so that I'll be healed in a month or so). After all, he's had achilles and meniscus surgery since we've been dating and it's simple: Diagnosis, surgery, short rehab with specific exercises. better everyday and completely healed in 6 weeks. Not sure how he's going to handle this. There's no fix-it.

Someone throw me a big bone. I'm not a retired wife who can just chill and breathe and tell my husband that we will have to refrain from sex for a little while. This is the kind of thing that shouldn't happen to 48 year-olds single women. I'm angry about it. Angry that my ex-husband for cheating on my and putting me in this vulnerable position. I should be safe and secure and I'm feeling scared, alone, broke and unhealthy. I'm not suicidal or anything but I sure am angry at the world which is a new feeling for me. I understand that I am "catastrophizing" and having a down moment blah blah blah psychology stuff, but it doesn't change the fact that it's just how I feel right now and justifiable given my new life journey (far less adventurous/fun than I planned for myself). I also know that it's not real depression if there's a real reason for your emotions and we all know that this POP is not anything you'd wish on your enemies. I wish I could say that I feel better for writing this but I don't. I'm still angry! Any personal trainer testimonials? Will I be able to hold my own body weight, carry a laundry basket. Go up and down 3 flights of stairs 100 times a day which is about right for the usual me carrying groceries/gym bags/work coolers/ computers/ client files..., watering plants, cleaning… I usually run up and down the stairs doing this stuff because my work schedule leaves me little time after hours. I'm just curious if there is any kind of non-sedentary success stories. Long walks on the beach are my leisure activities on my off days so they don't really satisfy my energy level and not to mention, I sleep well with active days like my body is used to. Now I can't do anything so my body is not tired. Honestly, I need a success story from someone like me…anything out there? Fitgirl do you have a more optimistic outlook? Obviously I'm having a bad day but GEEZ, POP is ridiculous and I'm angry that I have it and no one talks about it!!!

Sierra,
You probably needed this venting. Everything you have said is what most of us have felt when finding prolapse.
You will be able to do all of these things, and more, in an even better body than you had before, because it will be your natural postural self. It is enlightening, and confident, and very sexy for those of us that have allowed ourselves to fully adopt whole woman.
And, yes, Sierra, lots of great sex. You have probably been prolapsing all the while you were having sex. I know I was, I just got freaked out finding prolapse, and then was afraid to have sex. It was more of a mindset than an actual physical hindrance.
Have heart, dear Sierra. It will all come to you.

AG, so eventually I welcome the plum (bulge in my vagina) into my sex life? Do people name it? Mine is NOT welcome so I will come up with a sinister name… I want my body back!!!! LOL... not really!

Sierra, you are having a moment, and you are entitled to, but please try to take a deep breath and then just continue to breathe!

First of all, I don’t know where you are getting the idea that you can’t or aren’t supposed to do any of these things you mention. I am a fit person, and I do everything I ever did. Being sedentary is the enemy of prolapse. When you learn to hold your body correctly, gravity and belly breathing do the rest. Christine has lots of tools in the toolbox. Do the work and life will follow. You do not need your boyfriend to take care of you or the house when he returns from work. You can and will do it, as you have been, except you will be teaching yourself how to hold your body correctly. You can work. You can lift. You can exercise. You can enjoy sex.

Every woman has to make her own determination about what her partner can or can’t help her with, when it comes to this issue. I have a wonderful and understanding husband, but I don’t talk about this with him. This can be too much information for a lot of guys. We have a normal sex life and he doesn’t notice it. Many will disagree with me, but I know there are some in this community who are with me on this. All relationships are unique.

There is no surgical cure for this; you can get “repairs” but you will most likely regret it sooner or later, and you’ll probably need multiple procedures. Each failure will come quicker than the previous one. If your boyfriend is the type that will push you to have surgery, then what I suggest is that you get on with life and with the WW work. If you are miserable, your partner will naturally want you to do something that will make you stop being miserable. If you start the WW work, you will stop being miserable and things can be normal between you two. He is only reacting to what he sees happening to you.

So pick yourself up and get to work. You can continue to do all of the things on your list, you just need to understand the anatomy of pelvic organ support and work WITH that instead of against it. Nothing is going to fall out of you tomorrow or the next day. Just get started. You can do it. - Surviving

Not everyone feels it. Some don't feel it at all. I must say that I came into this with a severely prolapsed uterus as well as a prolapsed bladder that I didn't even really notice at first. Too freaked out about my cervix sticking out of me.
My sex life is better than it has been in years. I know my body better. I definetly know my vagina better! Think about a uterus in the way, but guess what? It moved.
Our prolapses can only benefit from sex. This action is pushing things in the right direction.
Yes, I feel my bladder sometimes, but then time for a little adjusting.
I really can't do missionary sex, just doesn't feel right to me, because of the uterus.
But, I do everything else, and I have adopted some really new sexy positions into the mix.
We normally play around with positions, this is no different in what feels good and what doesn't.
My hubby was only too happy to try some different things.
Your man just needs to understand that this doesn't change you, but surgery certainly will.

Hi Sierra

I appreciate this is hard. Sounds like you body did an amazing job of doing all you said and not getting prolapse earlier so it may well respond really well to WW work.

I'm not going to comment on the active part much but I will say that I had to slow down movements as you need to retrain your body and will work different muscles so it will be different and a different journey than you might have expected. I am 37 years old by the way and used to do a lot of gym work.

Re the weights, Christine is so amazingly strong and flexible in her videos and she does not lift weights so maybe your line of work could change to helping people with WW work instead of the standard gym stuff (I realise that is not something you may think until you get into this work but just thought I would throw it out there).

All the best and when it feels right for you, are you open to how many ladies say this is not just a physical journey but a spiritual (I don't mean religious) one. By the way I am not saying "yay you have POP" as none of us want it but we do get much more out of WW work than just the physical side. All this from me and I am really only starting to get the posture right now after 9 months of trying!

Sierra, my journey with WWP and exercises has evolved into experimenting with weights with some of Christine's exercises. THIS IS AT MY OWN RISK & MY OWN EXPERIMENT.
I have taken things very slowly though as was not fit like you at all.
I don't lift anything above 4kilos at the moment - I couldn't even lift my arms above my head straight in the beginning, so it took many weeks to lift 1kilo comfortably.
Each time I would try a heavier weight, I would be daunted as to how I was going to do it and over time gradually I can.
I am stronger, more able and ready to learn dancing, have started to run a little in WWP ( barefoot on toes), am managing pop, have healed my hips using Christine's Hip program to the point where I can do all this. I love all the DVDs and now love exercise.
For further detail you may wish to read my I AM LIVING PROOF posts/ thread which I have just updated.
I thought everything was over for me also.....
WW is the best thing that ever happened to me healthwise, body and soul.
Welcome to this journey,
Aussie Soul Sister

P.S. I pretty much do the WW journey solo apart from here on the forum.
Sometimes we need to just hang in there and DO!

i felt the same as you, I was 28 with prolapses bladder and bowel, cervix very low. Hardly any perininum left I don't think. My partner works full time and I am a stay at home mum expected to do everything to keep the house clean and tea cooked etc, I now have two children. I felt the same as life is over, how can I not wear heals, how can I not wear jeans, sex was uncomfortable, how can I not lift and Hoover. Everything had days of utter depression. It's a lot to do with how we feel as well as to our prolapse syntoms. Of course you can take control, then I started doing everything frantically like if I didn't change it immediately I was stuck like this. You need to breath, you need to probably cry and feel bad and then you need to look at positives, it won't harm you and if you get started then you can be symptom free most of the time. Get into posture, get walking. Get first aid dvd and watch how Christine lifts etc. Gently do the exercises, every few days. Think about not slouching, not lying back in chairs etc. For me you need to talk to your partner, let him see your grief. Mine was very understanding, helps me lift where possible if we're together and sex he doesn't notice. He just experiments with me. Please take care and just start gently.