Tips for walking

Body: 

I have been using the Save your hips dvd and pulling up into WW posture as much as possible (its a process). I have already experienced some benefit (increased range of motion and flexibility) but continue to have difficulty walking without a wobble and pain. I know that these problems are not going to resolve themselves immediately but I feel like I do good work with the exercises only to reinjure myself when walking (if that makes sense). There are no tips on the dvd to assist with walking other than to get a walking cane/stick.
I know that I need to stay pulled up into posture and point my feet forward. I often experience pain on my affected side when landing my foot on the forward swing. Does this mean that I'm leaning too far forward? How should I be pushing off on the rear foot?
Help!

Hi Sherry,

The staff (walking stick) is very important for this level of hip OA. We have them here in the store and you can find many others on the internet.

Our ability to double extend (straighten the leg and spine) through the hip and knee depends on being able to fully flex the toes (like this). If your toes don’t fully flex, then it is very likely your knees are slightly bent all the time. This in turn causes an equivalent amount of loss of lumbar curvature. When we lose lumbar curvature, we are placing our center of gravity over the front aspect of the hip, the smoking gun in hip OA. The reason we have so many WW exercises for strengthening the arches of the feet is because the arches are crucial for hip health and also for pelvic organ support! I cannot emphasize this enough.

I have seen many women improve their gait and pain level by walking with the stick. You place the stick on the opposite side of the affected hip. Stick and affected hip step out at the same time. In this way the muscles surrounding the opposite hip are helped to hold your affected side up so your leg can swing through. It also eases the concussion you are experiencing in your painful hip when you step out.

Walking with a staff will help you stay fully upright and restoring the arches of your feet will make WW posture possible.

Please keep us posted!

Wishing you well,

Christine

Christine, you mention this on the last page of your Saving the Hips book. Are there any that you could share with me to do in addition to the dvd stretches and exercises? Also, would massage be beneficial? Is there any way I can massage my hip area by myself or can I have a massage therapist or someone else do it like my fiancé? Thank-you. LT

Hi LT,

The exercises I was referring to are in the DVD. All WW exercise is hips- friendly, though. But if you're having a lot of pain, I would stick to walking and the exercises on the hips DVD.

One of my WW practitioners-to-be is a massage therapist who has seen hip pain resolve with focused massage. It is very beneficial, but knowledge of the anatomy of the hip is important.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Christine

Testing

I have been using Nordic poles to go on my walks. I find that having two poles makes me
stand and walk straighter without favoring one side which I sometimes do with one walking stick. They are very helpful in improving upper body strength as well.