FAFP exercises safe during pregnancy?

Body: 

I was a little perplexed by different peoples responses to the question, "Is it safe to do all of the FAFP exercises during pregnancy." So, should I do all exercises, beginning and advanced, or just beginning and nauli and firebreathing?

and welcome. When it comes to a new exercise regime, you need always to edge into it slowly whether an athlete or not. Exercises need to be done in posture. If you can't do them in posture, skip to the next one and then come back and try again later.
Firebreathing and Nauli are not recommended for pregnant ladies. Both these exercises move your organs around quite dramatically and with baby in there it is best baby does not have to experience that ride.
Otherwise, the FAFP exercises are gentle and safe. But you are the only one who can ultimately determine whether even these mild exercises are suitable to you and your baby. Any doubts and they are out at this stage of your life.
Apart from that, staying in WWposture is rather a task in itself for a pregnant lady, good work, good luck and happy times to you.

I was just wondering if firebreathing is safe for a post hysterectomy woman to do. It was done in August of 2013. Also what is Nauli?

Fire breathing you have probably found already in Christine’s “Saving the wholewoman”. It is a good exercise which I was able to come to after having worked at WWposture for some months and concurrently doing those familiar cat and cow and downward dog yoga exercises. My difficulty has been weak abdominal muscles and a server uterine prolapse. So coming at fire breathing directly was a big ask. However, once I started to feel first my back muscles and then my abdominal muscles tighten, I included jiggling which Louised described but because of the uterine prolapse it was better for me to bend forwards lower than Louised described with my hands on the floor and then jiggle on my toes up and down. If I remember correctly Louised recommended it be done leaning forward as in the firebreathing position. This latter may be all you will need. Once I found success with this, I then progressed to Fire Breathing coordinating my breath with it, although I still tend to bend over further and rest my hands on the arms of a lounge chair rather than on my knee.
Now Nauli is something that Alemama suggested to the forum and it to my mind is something that only an Indian fakir would have once done. You can google and find photos and descriptions and videos of it. I think they are pretty much all describing the same thing.
I have not progressed to Nauli as yet. I have been here three and half years and not wonderfully adventurous physically and still really strengthening my abdominal muscles. Exercise for me is either fun or work, not a regime. I find at this stage I am content to practice a few times a day deep breathing where I push my stomach out with the inbreath and pull it in tight with the outbreath and repeat this about ten times. I am finding this very effective at this point of time in bringing together those muscles either side of the navel which are so prominent in the photos of nauli practitioners where it appears as just one thick one. And my old flappy tummy is certainly a more muscular one, which helps to pull up the pelvic organs.
I can’t see that any of this would hurt someone post hysterectomy but caution and a planned slow strategic approach is always wise. With a prolapsed bladder all actions need to be taken with its comfort in mind. You, needless to say, would not exercise with a full bladder, and if WWposture is presently successful then you can move on to the first video (which I believe from your posts you have already) and then maybe jiggle a bit, do the deep breath a bit, then put them together and try a fire breathing. Way to go. Nice and easy, smooth as an unbroken wave. Good luck.

Hi Fab,
Thank you for answering my questions. I couldn't remember where I posted my question and couldn't find it but finally came across it. I really appreciate all this wonderful advice. I am about to get started, but I am approaching cautiously. I was afraid of getting a hernia for one thing because the Dr. told me that a vertical incision is more likely to cause a hernia than a horizontal (bikini) incision. I was lucky enough though to have a shorter incision. The book says not to do firebreathing if you have high blood pressure which I do have, but I figure that I can do deep breathing exercises afterward which lowers blood pressure. I'm going to give these things you recommended a try. Again thank you so much