Estrogen cream causing aches

Body: 

I had a vaginal prolapse after giving birth to my second child three years ago. I had my third child 4 months ago and I am nursing exclusively. I always have very low estrogen and a lot of dryness when nursing so my dr. always prescribes Ovestin (Estrogen cream) to use a few times a week while nursing. After my first 2 children, I did not get any side effects from the Ovestin, but this time, if I apply Ovestin at night my vagina really aches the entire next day. I can hardly stand and only feel some relief when I sit down. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you know if it is related to my prolapse or what could be causing it? Should I stop using the Ovestin?

Thank you!

As I understand it, estrogen levels are low during lactation, that's the way nature intended it. Taking estrogen while nursing could affect your milk supply, and in my opinion it isn't safe to expose your baby to hormones. And if you think it's causing you extra discomfort, stopping seems like the way to go. Just my opinion, I've never used hormones and never will. - Surviving

My problem is that the lack of estrogen is making me extremely dry. I have an IUD and the string is irritating me because of the dryness. Is there anything else to help with the dryness besides Ovestin?

You can search the forum (search box up above and to the left) for posts on dryness. You will find a number of suggestions. Coconut oil is nice. Honey is excellent for the overall comfort of the vagina - Christine has written extensively about this. You should be able to find something natural and safe to get you through until you wean your babe. - Surviving