Unsure

Body: 

Hi all. I have been unable to sleep since a gyno told me in Feb. I need a hysterectomy. I have no dysfuction just cystele and rectocele, and prolapse of the uterus and bladder. But I have no problems urinating or eliminating or even with the menstral cycle. Can you really live with the prolapse. I have 5 children and dont want to risk organ removal or any of the complications that come with the surgery. Thankyou for this forum.

How bad are your symptoms?

I hafta say that you CAN live well with prolapse - women do it all the time:)

Sue

Welcome,MommaBeth! You have come to the right place for support, encouragement, and information. Last December I, too,was in panic when I was diagnosed with prolapse and encouraged to look into surgery soon. Thanks to this website that is no longer an issue. Take a deep breath, then read many of the back posts here. It is so much easier to live with now.

You can live with prolapse(s). And...you can live quite comfortably. As someone else mentioned here...read, read and read some more throughout this entire site. You will find what you need to avoid "the knife."

sybille

but in my limited minute here, I recommend you get Christine's book and read all of the reasons why surgery is NOT the answer. I was so enlightened by her descriptions of the surgical procedures and outcomes, and totally convinced that;s not the route to go. Blessings.

Marie

I'd recommend reading all you can about alternatives to surgery. Christine's book, Saving the Whole Woman, was my starting point, along with this website of course. And as a result of that, I've just read Elizabeth Plourde's fascinating book, Your Guide to Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal & Hormone Replacement: What All Women Need to Know, which gives a really thorough insight into the long-term health problems that hysterectomy can cause or contribute to. It's so thought-provoking. My partner asked me yesterday why I'm reading "books with scary titles" (and made me laugh by commenting that they're not books you'd want to read on public transport!). "Are you planning something?" he asked. "No, I'm preventing something!" I said. "This is really opening my eyes." Until I started this research I'd assumed that hysterectomy, or some form of pelvic surgery, might be something I'd have some way down the line, and that it would be no big deal, because so many other women have had it. If surgery was recommended, would I really need it or want it? I wondered. That was my starting point and I'm really glad I thought to ask myself the question, BEFORE embarking on medical tests.
Looking back on it, I've had a degree of prolapse for the past 20 years, though it was never diagnosed and gave me no problems at all until I had my last son 4 years ago. And even now it doesn't really cause me problems except during menstruation when it seems to contribute to my haemorrhoids worsening (I posted about this on the pelvic health forum).
I'm quite determined now to use natural methods to keep my body healthy, and I'm much less worried about prolapse now I know what a common condition it is.
Interestingly, this is the first month when I've been absolutely zealous about sticking to eating healthily and paying even more attention to posture (I've always exercised and am physically in good shape), and I've just got my period and so far - fingers crossed - no problems.
I really hope learning more about prolapse will help you alleviate your symptoms without resorting to surgery.
Good luck,
Wendy

Why would the gyno suggest removing something that is causing no problem, but that would create a huge hole where the other organs there would then fall into? If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. It's the only tool they have. It also makes them money. But I'll pretend their motives are only selflessly motivated and return to their lack of training in alternative therapies besides surgey as the reason for such an outrageous suggestion. Study the posts about the posture and learn how you can stabalize your situation and stay away from the knife.
Jane

They only see things in a medical sense - They refuse point blank to see things in a 'natural' sense - They like to cut to sew to slash - They are like a mad patchwork quiltmaker who doesnt care it if matches or has holes in it - as long as they sewed at least one stitch (Of course this is not 100% of surgeons but seems to me most like to get that God image of themselves where only they can fix the problem and nobody else is competent)

When the time comes that Doctors show us a BETTER way than surgery - Then and only then will mankind have truly taken leaps and bounds forward.

They hafta learn Medicine can be ablut a whole lot more than drugs and holes in the body (Yes there will always be times when that is needed - but the important thing is - to know WHEN something is needed and WHAT and to be able to say 'Do it a better way' and point people here ) :-)

Sue

anne-helen

Hi

I was so incredibly freaked out last august, when my urethracele became really evident. I couldn't eat, sleep, concentrate, i cried a lot. I was very unhappy and it passed, i couldn't believe it but it did pass.

I read a lot, Chritine's books,The forum i talked a lot to my mom, my partner, my best friends, and somewhere along the way i just got busy again with life and it distracted me and i became unable to sustain the momentum with my fears

Mostly what i slowly ingested was that i felt no pain of any sort and was asymptomatic and was just sorta structurally a little different and i eventually i felt lucky with this.

It's also strongly motivated me to change my life, my diet my irish drinking habit's, eliminate stress as best i could.

I also moved my sexuality away from being all about those four or so inches and gradually i feel pleasure there again too and don't feel freakish ( as i once did).

When i'm ill with bad cold's or things i get a bit frightened that is the one things i find hard to deal with now.. the worry that things will worsen. So far they haven't.

I do christine's video, the posture, get regular acupuncture, and have begun to take chinese herbs..That is i take good care of myself now but I build all this up slowly.

i'm convinced from chrisinte's book and louise cloutier steel's book on womens stories of hysterectomy that surgery is not the answer for the majority.