Prolapse during Pregnancy help

Body: 

I am 29 years old and am now 23 weeks pregnant with 2nd child, and have had prolapse since 12 weeks.. I'm really at a loss for words because it seems that there's no info on prolapse during pregnancy. I have always been a very active person and now I'm on Rest and very limited on what I can do, but don't understand why there's nothing the doctors can tell about how this will affect me or the baby in the coming weeks.. Has anyone gone though it or going though something like this? I also have endometriosis to add to all these new pains. I'm not one to worry about things but I like to know all the info and I'm getting no where with my doctors or online.

I'm currently having the same problem. My Gyn is suggesting a pessary ring. I'm 30 with my second pregnancy at 15 weeks and a history of miscarriage. Please speak to a gyn and find out if they can assist with a pessary. It is really scary to see your lady bits sticking out, it is so uncomfortable. I'm currently on bed rest. Will be going back to work on Monday

I'm sorry to hear your going through it to! I have done the pessary it stayed in a whole 5 days and wouldn't go back in but it did help with the swelling of the cervix that I had. I was a level 3 prolapse but now I'm level 2... Good luck with work... I ask every week if I can do dome kind if something and tell still tell me I'm not on bed rest but still don't do anything they have told me not to... No work, no pushing, pulling, no exercise stay off my feet when I can.. Have they told you if it will cause premature labor?

Hi ladies. This is fairly common and not specifically a reason for bed rest unless you have other conditions that you haven't mentioned. We have some pregnant members and also several others who have posted extensively over the years, so please browse around the forums and the website. Your prolapse will most likely move around for the next few months and then things should rise up out of the way for delivery, and you will want to plan for as gentle of a birthing as possible, with minimal obstetric intervention.

We don't have a lot of pessary users here, and I'm not at all familiar with the use of a pessary in pregnancy. Also I have been reading this forum for 4 years and never heard any mention of prolapse as a cause for premature labor.

It's a great time to adopt Whole Woman posture if you are interested in long-term management of prolapse without fear of worsening. Post-partum these things may resolve in their own, but most likely will be back, so you should learn correct posture now, when you are still young and more able to bounce back from things. Think of how a pregnant woman carries her belly towards the front of her body. That's what this site is all about. - Surviving

Ladies,
I had a second pregnancy with cervical and bladder prolapses, and at no point was I told to be on bedrest. I'm guessing there's another reason for your bedrest?

As it is I was basically on my own kind of bedrest anyway due to severe morning sickness, but what I found was that by second semester the growing foetus had pulled my cervix/uterus forward and up and the cystocele had also eased. The only time the prolapses were brought up at all was during my labour - I made it clear to the midwives I was not going to just push when told to :-)

Sorry to hear you are both having a tough time of it though and I hope it gets better.

Thank you so much for all your positive responses. From my side i do not have any other known complications besides the prolapse, i was given a bed rest because he said it will ease up the swelling
@ WLewis my gyn said it can not cause any pre term labour unless there is something else. He also told me that the prolapse should get better when the pregnancy progresses as the baby will pull up uterus. Im so glad i found this forum. Good luck and i pray our prolapse gets better soon

Hello, just wanted to say it is pretty scare when you first find out but if you get the posture underway and make some changes you learn to live with it. I personally wouldn't recommend bed rest because you will have to make the changes as soon as possible. I found my low cervix, bladder prolapse and bowel 4 months after giving birth, which I was devasted, I am not now, it's not ideal because I hate thinking about lifting my toddler but I do and I carry on. I then had treatment to my cervix for pre cancerous cells and got pregnant with my second baby, I had a bleed at 10weeks and thought I had lost the baby but again you can't rest or do anything when you have a toddler as well so you adapt and life gets better. I am now 32 weeks pregnant and things do lift and you feel pretty normal again!! I don't keep checking as advised by everyone as you freak out because things move around but first thing is to get the posture and you will lose the scared feeling because you know you can hopefully alter your bad days to good days. Take care and enjoy your pregnancies.

I do want to point out that reclining on soft furniture, both pre-and post-partum, is one of the contributing factors to the worsening of prolapse. It flattens lumbar curvature and allows the organs to fall back into the vaginal space. Stand up, relax the belly, pull the chest up, and feel nice strong line up the front of your body. Never pull in your stomach or tuck your butt under. Most of us have been doing this for years, in the name of "good" posture, and that's one of the things that got us in this pickle in the first place.

Doctors have their place, but prolapse management is not their thing. Learn from WW and the work of Christine Kent, do your prolapse and spine and hips a favor, and you will reap huge benefits starting right now, and lasting forever. - Surviving

PS: We are not here to tell you not to follow your doctor's orders. If you have been ordered off your feet, well, if it's because of prolapse, then it isn't good advice, but if you have to do it anyway, please support your lower back with something, so that your spine isn't rounded. - Surviving

You will also want to take care with bending and lifting. Bend from the hips, not the waist - the difference is that you protect lumbar curvature. Lift and carry things close to your body, with as balanced a load as possible. When you drive or otherwise sit for long periods, put something behind your lower back to protect the curvature as much as possible. - Surviving

Thank you Surviving60, i have started with my kegels as well. It hasnt helped as yet but hoping for the best

Gosh, don't do that. Read what Christine has to say on that subject.

http://wholewoman.com/blog/?p=1497
http://wholewoman.com/blog/?p=118

I myself am living proof that kegels neither prevent nor improve prolapse. I only did them for....like....decades. - Surviving

You have to really choose between normal therapy and Christine's way as you will be constantly asked if you do your Kegals and I now just agree but DONT do them personally, I went to hospital after the birth of my boy due to stitches not healing I had no prolapse this was 4/5 months after, they said I had to do Kegals to get my stitches to heal, showed me how to do them correctly, kept saying it seems to be making it worse, then I got terrible pressure and prolapse. The physical therapist admitted to me she had always done them and also had a rectocele! I am a stronger believer if they worked why all these woman with issues now?! But it's a hard step to make but in left any western help to do with prolapse, they don't seem to have any idea and it took me ages to even get a diagnosis they kept trying to say it was normal following childbirth and just what did I expect after having a baby. (UK doctors) it does feel like your not doing anything but you are through posture and changing your lifestyle, hard to accept now, when my mum told me to look at this site I dismissed it, now as you can tell I live it and read all the tips!!! Try to respond when I have time with a toddler and 2nd pregnancy but honestly it will get better but please research before you do any Kegals!

Thanks y'all for all the positive in site... I glad I found this site!
If there's any other reason for me be put on REST beside the prolapse and my endometriosis they have not said but I'm not one that listen when told what to or not to do, I do what needs to be done and like y'all have aside with a toddle you can't just sit! I will deffenatly check out the other post! @ mrsmashau, hope things go well! I go back to doctor Monday to find out what is next finger crossed I get the go ahead to start some mild exercise or something!