Barefoot running

Body: 

So it was brought to my attention that the maker of some of the barefoot running shoes lost their litigation. They are having to pay back big moneys for all the footwear that they sold and the reasoning is that the validity of benefits from it was false. What say you on this topic? Could you send me in the right direction for more research as to why Christine advocates barefoot running in your teachings. I do have Save the Hips book but have not yet read it, and I also have all of the workout DVDs and the one in which you barefoot run at the end happens to be my favorite yoga DVD. What do you think of those shoes? Do you still think barefoot running is one of the answers?

Forum:

Christine has written often in the last 2 years about running and barefoot running and specifically running on toes, as they relate to posture, hips, arches, and prolapse management. You can use the search boxes on the forum and on the blog to find these posts for yourself. Her findings were not based off of any claims made by the manufacturers of barefoot shoes, but rather, her own research and personal experience. She has found running on toes to be quite beneficial for posture and prolapse and certainly prevents you from running with your heels striking the ground first. I don't know what manufacturers' claims are being disputed but I hardly think it would have any bearing on her findings. However, only she can answer that. - Surviving

My understanding of this litigation is that it was the advertisement of the shoe itself as beneficial for health that was put into question, and not the actual style of running. Who knows how people were using the shoes.

For the last few months I've been trying harder to keep my toes spaced properly, and flexing properly, and I have felt and seen the difference this makes. I am not a runner and I don't know what claims this company got nailed on, but there are always people out to profit from screwing over other people. I have always wanted to get a pair of these and quite frankly, this just makes me more inclined to try them, not less. It's not the doctors (nor the lawyers) who are working to safeguard our long-term health, after all. - Surviving

Hi all. If the shoes you are posting about are the ones that claim to earth or ground you there is no need to spend a lot of money. when we walk barefoot on grass or sand or any natural surface we are grounded and receive energy into our bodies. I found how to make my own earthing shoes by searching the web for info. All you need are a pair of old shoes and some copper wire. The copper wire is a conductor. Make a hole in the sole of the shoes about one third down from the top of your feet. push the wire through the hole leaving a few inches outside and flatten it down so you will walk on it. flatten the wire and have about four inches of wire inside your shoe, tape it down. put bare feet or buy some silver earthing socks and go walk in nature . no need to worry about glass or pesticides etc. you will feel great after a while. these really work and you can see them being tested on you tube. I cant remember the name of the person who owns the video but if you google it you will get step by step instructions.Will it help prolapse? I don't really know as I have not had any symptoms for a few months now and I'm not complaining. but I'm sure that is from walking tall in the posture and lifting nothing heavy at all. i have never been so healthy and found out about earthing while searching for healthy foods all thanks to W.W.
WHMS

Surviving, you and I think alike. It actually makes me want a pair more in some ways, too.

I have never heard of earth shoes before. These shoes I was asking about are specifically designed for barefoot running. I have not seen Christine talk about these shoes themselves, but I also do not read the forum on a regular basis. It gets to be too much for me. I have found for myself that when I do running outside it is harder for me to stay on my toes because I am not barefoot, but when I run in my house it seems to help with prolapse. This is why I was debating getting a pair of these shoes, as I live in a major metropolitan area where it is unsafe at best to go outside barefoot.
I did try and search before I posted, I didn't find much. Perhaps I used the wrong words.

OK, we are talking about three different shoes here.

The Vibram shoes which were the subject of a settlement, are something I would consider buying, not to run (not a runner and not planning to start!) but just to be able to walk with full flexibility and range of motion in my toes and arches, in places where it would be unsafe or inappropriate to walk barefoot.

Willhealmyself is talking about something that is totally new to me. I looked it up on YouTube and was a bit put off when someone tried to convince me that a plug-in mat I could take to bed, could give me the same earth energy as having my bare feet on the ground. Perhaps I need to find some other descriptions of this practice that can be taken more seriously.

Earth Shoes were big in the early 1970s and I had several pairs. Heel lower than toes. I wouldn't wear them now! - Surviving

What are earth shoes? Beside the shoes that I kinda remember in the 70's?

Watched some more clips re: earthing/grounding. I admit the concepts aren't easy for me to grasp and all the electrical stuff seems a little scary. But if you are doing this, I'd be interested to hear more. - Surviving

I have also looked at all those electric mats and stuff but I don't fancy being connected to any of these. I tried the barefoot grounding and found on these days I would feel very energetic. I suppose it's like how some people love hugging trees etc, I live in the city so I can't go barefoot even on the grass as there are too many bad electric currents under the ground. I have used the shoes for walking on grass in the park where people take their dogs and I don't want to walk on anything nasty. I must admit I find all this hard to understand and get my head around and I have been reading so much about it all but I just feel so well since I've started this that I really don't mind if it's mind over matter.
P.s. I don't like my user name now as it implies I am ill. I don't feel I need healed anymore. WHMS

I always thought your user name had a gentle and positive sound to it. After all, there are many types of healing, not just from illness. - Surviving

Thanks for that surviving. I like it again now, lol. You are right there are indeed many ways of healing, I never thought of that. You always make so much sense. I love your posts.
Whms.

Hello. After about a year of not really doing the whole women posture due to family issues (now gone) I am back on track and trying my very best to improve my posture and bladder prolapse. I have flat feet and have had pain and problems with my feet. To help this I stopped wearing high heels completely and always wear comfortable shoes with arch supports and this stopped the pain in my feet. My question is should I be trying to spend time with bare feet even though when I do so my arches drop and my feet hurt? Kiwi mum

Hi kiwi mum,
I wore arch supports for years. They were special made ones from the chiropractor that were suppose to help my feet, knees, and hips. They didn't really help as much as I had hoped. I even ended up with plantar fasciitis anyway. My hips continued to ache too, until I got the correct posture down!
Not sure about flat feet though. My son had flat feet and his legs bowed out when he was little, but he grew out of it. He has some trouble with running and having some pain with it, but on any every day basis, they don't really bother him. He has always worn really flat shoes.
Not sure if there are some foot therapies out there that would help with your flat feet; something to look into and study up on.
Sorry, wasn't really all that helpful, but I do hope you find a solution.
I think of what Christine says about pointing and flexing our feet really stretching all the muscles, tendons and ligaments. And how she has us walking more on toe than heel. That may be helpful for a start.

Thank you to whomever bumped this thread. I am and have been for years a huge believer in "Earthing" or "Grounding". Barefoot beach walks and barefoot gardening are my favorite, energizing activites. However, I never knew that you could get the copper into a natural shoe and make your own. I LOVE that!

There were several conversations going on. I am trying to separate my toes and take them out of extension and into flexion---they are locked up. The vibrums seem to help get my toes into position (laterally) so that when I flex, (and I'm finding that flexing against the rubber arch is kind of a workout and better than towel scrunches because my toes are apart. I find that they make my pad on my forefoot sore when walking because my arches/toes aren't strong enough. Instead of using my toes to flex, I tend to bruise the pad. For those without hammer toes they might work better for walking. For those who heel strike, they might work but I doubt it. They certainly keep the toes in a great position laterally but don't help much for arches and toes as week as mine. I was alway bothered by using my feet and excercising my arches with my toes locked up. With them apart and in position, I feel like I can point my feet in good form and really work those arches. Yes, many people do get plantar fasciatis who run in vibrums. I got a bruised for foot with pain in my metatarsal joints. I would caution from going on any run or even a long walk in them especially on hard surfaces. That's my experience with them.

Hi Aging gracefully,
Thank-you so much for replying. I cant walk any distance without arch supports but I was wondering if, in order to improve my feet/arches, I should try bare feet at least around the home? I thought maybe the arch supports all the time might in some way stop my arches from strengthening. If it doesn't matter then I will stay with the arch supports as they do stop the foot pain. Kiwi mum

Christine's work is from the foot up.
Her DVDs work on the foot as part of the whole.

I wore ortho - heel inserts for yrs and had aching feet mainly at night.

My feet are amazing now, strong, grounded, offering superior balance and I don't wish to ever use inserts again.
They hardly ever ache and sometimes I use the baton for its other function to massage them. I used to have to use hard golf balls often to get relief before working on my feet with WW.

Read all the info on here and Christine's blog - I love "Balance The Sixth Sense" including the article referred to from a science magazine article which you click on in her blog...
I go bare footed often now.

All the best,
Aussie Soul Sister

Me too, Aussie Soul Sister! I am so happy not to have to put things in my shoes anymore, and to be able to rely on the strength developed from the whole woman work.

I just wonder about flat feet though. Do you remember Christine ever talking about this in particular?

Many thanks Ausie Soul Sister - lovely to know your feet improved along with your prolapse. I will keep working on WW.
Thankyou
Kiwi Mum

I had a quick search, however I remember that Christine said generally that people often don't walk with flexing the toes anymore - I have observed much unnatural walking and gait in people, since WW.
She has said that the foot arch declines along with the knees. hips and lumbar curve due to modern living.
My heat cries when I see babies trying to learn how to walk in any shoes.
It is obvious to me that it affects their whole body.
I expect that some conditions are genetic or related to other problems that people can't help, however if the foot arch is worked on by people who are able, any improvement is better than none.

I used to think that my feet shouldn't be as flat on the floor as such while standing - they are evenly spread with my weight now - such a grounding feeling. When I am seated, I do have a look at my arches to make sure that they are there! lol
I so love the foot exercises! I often stand like a meerkat now lol!

If I could do a selfie of my feet I would!

All the best,
Aussie Soul Sister

Lol! I would love to see you posing as a meerkat!

My husband had recently brought it to my attention something he read about our feet getting bigger as we age is actually our feet flattening out more. More reason to do Christine's exercises, me thinks!

I have always had a high arch in my feet, so feel I may be one up in that category for now, but would like to keep it that way. Now with hindsight, I can see I was doing myself no favors. I had high arches and I was a serious heel striker, so I ended up pronating while I walked! Hence the reason for getting those expensive arch supports. Lightbulb moment! No wonder they never helped me! No one ever told me to walk differently and exercise me feet!
I don't do the hips dvd like you do, but I do all the rest of them, so I have been getting a good foot work out, just about daily. Also been increasing my walking this year. I did a ten mile hike for the first time last year, and plan on increasing that this year, so I will need to keep those feet healthy!

Here's to happy feet!!

That's cool on the earthing do it yourself footwear. I do have earthing products but not footwear. I have been out barefoot around our suburb. It's interesting that my feet are not that sensitive when I am not on my heels all the time as I used to be. I can handle quite a few different surfaces now. Winter will be interesting - might have to walk in socks. I still have to get over what people think though re the barefeet. It's funny tho as I have always tried to get my kids to go barefoot as much as possible knowing it;s good for their balance, development etc but was not doing it myself!