walking

Body: 

I'm just getting reoriented to ww living and I recall when I first began (two years ago - where does time go?), reading either here on the forum or in my book about how to walk. Unfortunately I cannot remember where it was discussed. Is it written about in the book Saving the Whole Woman? I seem to recall something like taking long strides while keeping your heels down longer than perhaps normally done? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks and blessings, Judith

I think the main idea about walking is to do it in strong whole woman posture. I really enjoy the walking because this is when I can really work on all the components of the posture. Relaxing and breathing deeply into the lower belly, keeping those shoulders down, lift that chest up strongly.
I think I do remember some discussion of foot placement, but can't remember where. I know surviving says she takes long strides while walking.
Keeping feet parallel is important also.

Yes......i won't search for it now, but I can remember when I was starting out, reading a post by Louise or Christine about taking long deliberate strides and keeping the back foot on the ground as long as possible. This advice helped me to slow it down and stay very mindful of my posture while walking. Yes to the foot placement, too. I tend to be a bit pigeon-toed by nature, and in order for me to keep my feet parallel while walking, I have to think about turning them out somewhat, in order for them to find that parallel spot. But that's just me. Walking is THE best. I've been "off" my routine lately but I'll do some tonight if it dries up out there! - Surviving

I have recently started walking AGAIN too. Thanks for the reminder about how to do it. I am also dealing with issues about being allergic to the sun, so I am walking on the walking machine. I will try to do it slower and keeping my heel down.

WHAT IS THE CORRECT WAY TO BEND OVER WITHOUT MY MY VAGINA POPPING OUT. PROLAPSE.
THOUGH I'M 85 I AM STILL VERY ACTIVE, BUT THIS PROLAPSE IS CURTAILING MY ACTIVITIES. HELP!

Hi Dora - Bend from the hips, not from the waist. You can feel the difference. When you bend from the waist, your lower spine gets flattened out and the pelvic organs get pushed into the vagina. When you bend from the hips and take care to keep a nice curve in your lower spine, your organs are pinned over the pubic bones and supported.

An active 85-year-old can certainly learn some new tricks, so why not take a look at the Whole Woman posture work? It's how we manage our prolapse naturally and without worries or limitations on our lives. - Surviving