fundus measurement

Body: 

I'm 28 weeks pregnant. I had a prolapse before this pregnancy. I'm almost positive my dates are accurate, but the fundus height is only 23cm. Can a prolapse cause you to measure smaller than you are, because the baby is lower? Does anyone have anything to say about this? Has anyone experienced this?

Hi wonderful21, I'm guessing prolapse doesn't affect fundal height but I'm not sure. I have a prolapse but measured big. Either way, I'm hopeful that midwife/doc would let you know of any concerns. As we're all different, there's probably lots of variations to the fundal measurement. I think I also carry lots of extra fluid. Wishing you the best.

I measured smaller this time with a prolapse and I wondered if it was because my cervix didn't lift as high so it seemed like my bump was lower down, I got sent for a scan but to be honest I would have ignored unless baby wasn't growing because they are soo inaccurate with measurements on weights etc, most people I know measure big and had a small baby and vice versa, they told me they were accurate to a few hundred grams but someone close to me was told on a scan it was 10pounds and it was 7 when born!! And if you search on google it's very common for them to be wrong. I measured small and was told in labour I would have to be monitored due to the size of my bump they were concerned baby was small and she was 6.9 a week early!! Good luck with your pregnancy

Yeah.....seems a little imprecise. If they can figure out where your uterus starts, then they might be able to measure correctly. But if they are measuring from some official point on your stomach, then how accurate will it be for the majority of women? I wouldn't put too much significance on that measure. - Surviving

It's a bit tricky because we want to make sure our baby is okay, so it IS hard not to be concerned. How has your pregnancy been? With my first I had hyperemesis gravidarum (severe morning sickness) and major depression/anxiety, and I now believe this may have been why I measured small from about your point. The hospital was only concerned towards the end though. At 39 weeks I measured 33; the hospital did a series of tests and diagnosed IUGR (intra-uterine growth retardation). I was induced the next day. My baby did not have IUGR; in fact she was perfect and they couldn't say why everything pointed to it not being okay before the birth. I only developed a prolapse more than two years later so this was not a cause of the small measurements. With my second baby and a prolapse I had a better pregnancy and measured spot on week-for-week until the birth.

Are you saying that they suspected IUGR due to the low measurement, so they did a series of tests which basically all came back as false positive? Talk about anxiety!!

It's obviously a massive worry and I did doubt myself at one stage I just mean to be careful because as in your experience I know a few people who have been told they will have giant babies and scared with broken shoulders on the babies etc, were induced and baby 7 pounds or less! I was measure small with first as well but only at 33 weeks and they were happy with me being 3 weeks behind but with my second I got to 28 and they sent me for scans and she was 6.9 a week early..you obviously have to go with what you feel. Hope it all works out for you

I thought Kiko's story just did a great job of proving that point. - Surviving

Thank you for all of your info. I guess you don't know until it happens.

As I've stated before, I don't regret what happened with my first labour and birth. It was an awful pregnancy psychologically and physically. Having said that, yes, the hospital got it wrong. After weeks of measuring very small, and then growth appearing to stop altogether, they did some tests. A scan strongly indicated that her head was oversized in proportion to her body (ie - the placenta wasn't providing enough and so it was all going to her brain, rather than her body) and this was an indicator for IUGR.

And when she was born they were wrong on all counts.