Red Raspberry Leaf

Body: 

I drank a tea made from RRL during pregnancy as it is said to strengthen & tone the uterus, anyone here heard of that? I just ordered another bulk order & plan on drinking it daily, I've come to enjoy it. I figure it can't hurt, right?

~Erin

It's a lovely tea and may even help tone your uterus a bit. I love it on cold winter evenings with a bit of honey. :-)

How can this tea do that?

Sue

I LOVE it chilled & I often brew up a pint or two at a time & throw in a bit of mint tea and stevia, yummmmm...

Where do u order it from? thanks!

I also have been enjoying this tea daily since hearing about its benefits for the uterus. I make a big pot. I also would be interested to hear where you get it in bulk as it can be pricey?
Thank you.
Michelle.

I belong to a great local chapter of a national group called 'Families for Natural Living.' We started a co-op with Frontier http://tinyurl.com/fpmqq. The price listed in that link is $10.50 for 16 oz, through the co-op I get 2 lbs of organic bulk fr $10.50. 2 lbs is a lot of tea! Here is the wholesale pricelist: http://tinyurl.com/lwdxg. Shipping is free with a $250 order.

I know of a couple of other sources, I'll find them & come back & edit to add.

Here's another great source: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkherb/r.php

my mw recommended the RRL tincture when I was pg. I recently picked up some more and I've been taking that. we actually have wild raspberries on our property, I've heard that you can make tea from leaves picked right before it bears fruit. I plan on trying it this year.

And to respond to Sue's question...who knows? The point is there is a long and rich herbal tradition on every continent and for Europeans and Americans, RRL has been long-associated with uterine comfort and health.

Hi

I just looked up my "complete medical herbal" a beautiful book recommended me by a medical herbalist as being on of the best.It's by Penelope Ody.

She describes it as an affective uterine stimulant. Also "astringent and so usefull for diarrhea, sore throats and mouth ulcers. They have been included in rheumatic remedies as cleansing diuretic. Harvest during summer before the fruit ripens."

She says in the constituents part that the leaves have "fragarine" which is a uterine tonic so this must be the part that is most active on the uterus

She cautions "avoid high doese in early prenancy cos of uterine stimulant properties. and describes it as "DRY, AStringent and generally COOLING"

I'm in the first year of my acupuncture studies and from a chinese medicine perspective, my *guess* would then be that it may not be suitable for those who feel the cold, have dryness issue's, dry cough, dry skin etc.. and that one herb does not suit all. ( i don't study herbs.)

I also think it's suggested not to stay on any herb too long without breaks and best to talk to a herbalist before taking herbs. They are strong stuff.

Best Wishes

Anne-helen

Here is an excellent site to read about the red raspberry:
www.red-raspberry.org. The site is hosted by the Washington State Red Raspberry commission. I was given Ellagic Acid (along with other modalities) by my alternative doctor for a chemo induced colon cancer (after chemo for breast cancer) and within two months, there was no sign of colon cancer. I did not find anything here about the leaf itself, but since some of us have occasional bowel problems with the prolapses, the raspberries ought to help keep the colon in shape! You will find on the site documented evidence about the healing properties of the raspberry.

To your health,
Grandma Joy

are a bit different in health benefits I believe, but Grandma Joy, those juicy berries are making my mouth water! Yummy recipes too!

This is from Susun Weed's site:

"Red Raspberry Leaves
Brewed as a tea or as an infusion, Rubis is the best known, most widely used, and safest of all uterine/pregnancy tonic herbs. It contains fragrine, an alkaloid which gives tone to the muscles of the pelvic region, including the uterus itself. Most of the benefits ascribed to regular use of raspberry leaf throughout pregnancy can be traced to the strengthening power of fragrine or to the nourishing power of the vitamins and minerals found in this plant. Of special note are the rich concentration of vitamin C, the presence of vitamin E, and the easily assimilated calcium and iron. Raspberry leaves also contain vitamins A and B complex and many minerals, including phosphorus and potassium."

~Erin

I just noticed that the Life Extension website has added Ellagic Red Raspberry to their supplement list. It's so new that they don't have much of a description. Here's the web address...http://search.lef.org/search/default.aspx?s=1&CategoryList=Products&quer...

hi ladies im new to all this so im after some info.

i found this site on sunday and read most of the info i found.i have gone out and bought myself some RRL tea and aslo some RRL tablets .will i be taking to much RRL if i take both or does it not matter how much you take.it says in one of the lower posts to take a brake from time to time.how long a break and how long taking the RRL product?
i have a prolapse of the uterus.i think having to induced pgcys may be the cause of my prolapse.

thanks in advance

serena

everything happens for a reason.

Erin, I could have written your post! I drank a lot of RRL Tea during my pregnancies. Recently I was in my cupboard looking for some tea & I came across my leftover RRL. I thought, "Oh yeah! Good for the uterus. I should start drinking this again." I have been having a cup daily. Since it is now getting hot out, I'll make iced tea w/it. I use a few RRL teabags and add one peppermint - very refreshing. Enjoy!

Indigo,

That sounds delicious! I'm going to try that. So has anyone felt a difference with their prolapse after drinking it? I'm having a bad prolapse day. I felt good for about a week and thought I'd never look back. Was I mocking the moment!@#? Its just hasn't a good day for me.

I have been having those days a lot too. When I am on my feet too much I really pay for it. But if I have to rest too much, I feel kind of defeated by it. sigh...... It's a hard adjustment.

Well I haven't been at this forever and truthfully I am still trying to find the trigger for good and bad days- it seems like it isn't just one thing but more of an accumulation of things- If I travel or camp or stand all day I am ok the next day- so originally I thought those things must be good to do- but I am starting to realize that those things probably do cause the bad day I have 3 or 4 days later.
One thing I can recommend is sleep- getting good quality sleep always helps get me back to baseline.
And sex. if I am having a very bad day and I have sex in the evening then the next day is much better.
Indigo- you talk about resting too much. There is an interesting balance between rest and activity. When I lie around all day my prolapse is worse but if I "rest" on my hands and knees (throwing in some legs lifts through out the day) I feel better for it.