Back issues

Body: 

Hello everyone, please can I ask some advice, I have all three prolapses and just had my second baby who is 7 weeks. I have postural issues with my upper back being badly hunched (only 29!)and have the forward neck which is bad as ignored it really till prolapses came along. I just want advice as I was given an exercise where I lie on pillows my neck and shoulders only and then do exercises with my arms like an angel, it feels amazing for my back and thought it could really help but I have read that the position probably isn't that great for prolapse? Any thoughts? Really trying to sort my back as obviously has an effect on my prolapses and I haven't even looked at my stitches as it tore from previous episiotomy and feeling ok but I know I was bad last time at 5 months! Thank you

Hi lifegoeson. I don’t think there is any arm/shoulder exercise that you could do lying down that would be harmful for prolapse. So go ahead if it gives you relief. That being said, excellent WW posture practiced all day long is about the best thing you can do for your whole body, with emphasis on your shoulder girdle, back and hips. - Surviving

Thank you, thought I had read somewhere that raising your neck and shoulders wasn't good because of the organs dropping down. Oh believe me I think of the posture all the time, drive myself crazy it's just my upper back is so locked and with breast feeding as well just want to keep stretching as much as possible. I only really do the posture at the moment with two kids, I did try this morning the first DVD but it got swapped for thomas the tank engine!!! Thanks very much for commenting it's very good of you to keep taking the time to answer me.

I was picturing you lying down while doing these exercises. Are you in more of a slumped position as if leaning back on a soft couch with lumbar curve flattened? There is a difference.

Just to be safe you might want to support your lower back with something, while your upper part is raised up somewhat. It's the curvature that we want to protect. - Surviving

First- congratulations on your new baby!! :)

Not long ago, I wrote asking for advice about essentially the same thing. I'm in my early 40's, so not as young as you, but still far to young to have my upper back/lower neck look the way it does. I'm also hopeful that WW posture will at least halt this abnormal upper curvature.

One thing I've added into the mix is something similar to what you are doing- but instead I lie on a hard surface (I use a sturdy coffee table) on my back far enough up to the edge that my head is 'dangling' off the edge- ie not supported- though my shoulders/upper back still are. When I was seeing my chiropractor this was one of the practices he recommended. In fact, he's got pictures all over his office of his patients striking this 'pose' during vacation in some beautiful locales.

But- this is just what I've decided to try. I'm not a dr and I will say, that it is extremely uncomfortable. I know this discomfort is due to the abnormal upper curvature PLUS the way I've consistently held my head too far forward. BUT- I have a feeling that if I asked my children to assume the same position, they'd be able to do so without any discomfort. The position itself reminds me of all the times as kids (think swings, carousels, etc) we'd throw our heads back in pure joy....
Anyway- good luck to you! I'm going to include these practices, and in time, I will report back on any progress....but I know how long it took to get my back like this, so I know any progress will feel like it's happening at a glacial pace...

from a prolapse perspective...I am lying flat on my back, but I don't flatten my back into the table, I make sure my lumbar curve is in place. In addition, I get into and out of the position from my side, so that I am not straining my abs as is done in a sit up.

"but still far** too** young to have my upper..." it's early and haven't had my cup of coffee yet! :)

Interesting suggestion. I feel as though I've caught things in time, though I've seen recent candid pix of myself where my neck/shoulders/upper back didn't look quite so great as I had imagined. One can never let down one's guard! Going to try this and see how it feels. - Surviving

Dear All,
(I have been there & re - training myself ) - I observe in my society that many people live with their heads placed in a forward position - they run, exercise, walk and do everything that way, rounding their backs also, & or leaning forward.
Even clothing catalogues depict people modeling clothes with head forward and bottoms tucked etc, "The C Shape", though I was heartened to see a toddler modelling a dress with her chest held high.

Christine's WWP and exercise DVDs address this problem with her Full Human Extension concept -using her baton standing up or lying down while doing the exercises.

On the the 3rd wheel DVD, Christine demonstrates all this and also exercises while walking using the arms to exercise the inner muscle layer of the upper back called the thoracolumbar fascia.

Many people would benefit from using the Hips DVD which has at least two extra specific exercises to help "iron out" (to quote Christine ) the hump in the upper back, as well as balancing & evening out the whole body, strengthening the neck and upper chest and shoulder girdle, along with hip stability and evening out weight distribution while standing.
Christine's whole body approach in all her exercise programs including the one included in the online Prolapse Free will help with this postural problem.

These exercises have helped me greatly with whole body ( particularly my hips), including my neck/ upper back, and keeps me aware of how I need to adapt around so called modern furniture, clothes, kitchen benches, writing and computer work.
Time is an issue with many people with exercises, however if some time is taken to learn them they can be done to some extent in the car, while walking, & sitting. Keeping WWPosture is exercise and mindfulness in itself.
After observing people around me and including myself, there is much we can do to prevent degeneration of our bodies before our time.

Have a great WWP day - it is a gift
Best wishes,
Aussie Soul Sister

Totally agree when I look around now I notice everyone has a forward neck position and some with bad lumps at the bottom of the neck. Interesting exercise gr8, I do work on Christine's DVDs but I just cannot afford another as I am in the UK the postage was the killer but I also feel I need some very specific exercises because it's so tight I can hardly put my hands above my head when lying down without pain which I never noticed I had lost! Surviving it's lying down but the shoulders and neck higher up with a thick pillow so the stomach sort of is suspended so should I maybe roll a towel up and put it above my hips to maintain lumbar curvature? I also have noticed with the second baby my abs haven't gone back together yet which concerns me as thought I was working on www posture the whole time since finding out two years ago so I had hoped it would cease any further damage so hope I am doing it right!! But I do still have major back issues which I continue with and how often I still catch myself with collapsed middle and neck forward! Thank you for your comments.

Hi lifegoeson,
I remember those early days right after having a baby. My breast were so swollen and heavy, pulling on my back, and carrying around a little one while trying to chase down the older siblings. That can be very stressful on the muscles in the upper back. Sounds like you need a break! A nice massage and a soak in the tub with some ebsom salts can go a long way to relieve some of that tension.
I think any kind of stretching, when you can find the time, would be very beneficial. I actually really like the ones in the first aid for prolapse where Christine lays on the floor on her belly , stretches up with arms staight, and head back, and then goes back into child pose. Do a few of those when you can for a nice back stretch.
I wish you and your new little one the very best!

Lifegoeson, I have been recently finding that when I lie down with arms up overhead, I can't get my right hand all the way to the ground, due to shoulder pain. I have been working on this slowly, and it seems to be improving. The WW baton, which I only recently acquired during the last sale, really helps with this, due to both its shape and its weight. I strongly agree with Soul Sis about the stuff on the Hips dvd and the fact that we really need to work on these body issues before they take over our lives and become even harder to deal with. - Surviving

Believe me I am trying everything to help with my posture and have been for awhile now, I feel a little deflated that I appear to have abs coming apart as currently look 6 months pregnant all the time :( going to have some massages I think! Thanks for your reply and do you think I should avoid any whole woman exercises now that I have diastasis recti to add to issues!!!

The biggest issue I have which I did see some comments about before I don't seem able to lift my rib cage I seem to sheer it out in front of me, so I look like I have curvature but it's mainly my ribs so far forward, really practising all the time but really seem to struggle to get it at the moment. Was only wondering about exercises if there is any I should avoid going to start first aid for prolapse I know there was discussion between Christine and another member about being on all fours the ab separation but I can't find it. Thanks for your time

Here is a link where Christine talks about it:

https://wholewoman.com/forum/node/6024

I know she is currently working on getting more information about diastasis recti out there. It should certainly be some really good information!!

That's great, been reading the link.