Hip question

Body: 

Hi,

I am finding lately that I get sore hips (I was calling it my sit bones) when I sit flat on my bottom with my legs out in front. I have no problem sitting cross legged or on my knees (despite knee ligament surgery years ago). Due to managing prolapse I don't use furniture much anymore.

I do not have flexible hips or hamstrings and that is modern life but also a bit of genetics too. My upper body is flexible.

I am keen to get Christine's hip book. I am 37 yrs old.

My husband is starting to have some hip issues too from a lot of working out over the years. His physio said it is his hips going to bone on bone. Ok so I know about the doctor and physio thing from being on here and my own life but I thought maybe this was a point.

Q: Do I continue trying to work on my sitting in this position a bit at a time, including in the bath where it is warm or do I leave it as some of us just do not have hips that tolerate this position well?

I was never one of those kids that was flexible enough to get anywhere near the splits despite practicing so I have always known it is an area I need to work on.

I guess learning about my prolapse is bringing up other issues but I will work hard to not have hip problems later on.

Last Question: Do some of us naturally have more flexible hips that lend to sitting in all positions easier than others or is this simply another symptom of modern living?

Sorry this is a bit of a stream of consciousness as done with kids running around me.

Opps sorry the above post is under the wrong category.

Hi Dear ActiveandLapsed,
I find sitting flat on my bottom with legs out straight, not easy, comfortable or sustainable, as my lumbar curve straightens. I can sit on my feet & knees especially since exercising my feet and legs the WWway, though I am not yet able to sit cross - legged - a goal I keep in mind but my body will tell me when it is ready.
Some people use cushion support to sit rather than the carpeted floor, but I am most comfortable in a chair at this time.
My hips testimony is in the same forum as this post.
I started WWPosture with worsening prolapse and crunching hip pain and instability, and later realized that not only was my pop improving, my hip instability had stopped.
Our hip problems are the result of modern living flattening our foot arches, changing the weight - loading position of the hip joints under the arched roof of the acetabular, (pelvis), and the flattening of the lumbar curve.
Adults, along with modern posture, etc, have reversed breathing into the chest which unravels our natural design. Babies use belly breathing to develop the foot arch, lumbar curve and hip joints.
Hip problems begin with these postural problems causing muscle and ligament degeneration. The muscles and ligaments become tightened and shortened, impinging on the skeleton, LONG before it becomes a bone problem.
Read Christine's brilliant hips research articles in her blog and consult with her if necessary.
Whole Woman Posture and exercises just show me how holistic Christine's approach is.
My very Best Wishes,
Aussie Soul Sister

I so agree with what Aussie Soul Sister has said. I have some flexibility issues, but had continuous hip problems until I started whole woman practices. I just kept practicing posture and doing the exercise on the DVDs until I started noticing my hips feeling better as a by product of this work! Now, this was before Christine even came out with the hips book, but I read that too, and everything became so much more clearer as to what was happening to me and why I was improving so much with this work.
It is so wonderful now not having that nagging stitch in my hip, the clicking it always did, or even having it just go out completely like it has done so many times in the past.
The benefits are just amazing by simply following Christine's teachings!

Hi guys

Thanks. I can sit on the cushion with my legs out in front so might do that and then see how I go. I've got years to practice so hope I can look so young in my sitting like Christine does in a decade or so.

It is frustrating being in a body with young energy and that looks younger than my years but which has these issues. Although maybe I am just aware of them as I see so many Mums and young people with posture that is far from WW so guess it is all just time until they have problems.

I do love this work and my daughter will have the pleasure of never losing her natural design.

Onto the feet thing next before those arches go too much.