Lower back pain

Body: 

Hi, I do whole woman posture. Nice. However, I am having lower back pain. I have never ever had back pain at all. I have a rectocele and bladder one(sorry, I can't remember the correct term.) I daily do the beginning program of First Aid for Prolapse.

Am I doing something incorrectly?

Do the prolapses contribute to back pain?

Hopefully you can give me suggestions. Thank you.
Make it a good day. mjh

Forum:

You could be forcing your hips too far forward. There is this sweet spot between too far forward and too far back. Don't try to force the lumbar curvature, it should come on its own. Have you tried whole woman walking? This really is a great way to work on all the aspects of the posture as you are moving.

I agree with AG, you may have some tension somewhere that you are not aware of, caused by trying too hard to hold posture instead of letting things fall naturally into place. Relax belly, pull up chest and let the lumbar curvature take care of itself, and walking really IS the best way to work all this out. Is the pain just recent? Do you feel that posture is the cause? - Surviving

Thank you for the comments. This is in place-

I feel a big difference when I get the chest up. ( I see that a posting indicates that the abdomen should be up, too.) Have to think about that.
Shoulders are down.
Keep my posture when sitting.

Yes, I feel posture is the cause. I carry my extra 5 lbs in my belly. I wonder if I am pushing the belly(plus the 5# out too far? Hmm... How would I know? What should I feel?

I want to focus more on the walking, as I do walk. Yes, the pain is present when I focus on the DVDs. Guess that is why I come and go with them. Was determined this time to continue. Do feel that I have less symptoms with the prolapses when I do the exercises.

Your support is great! mjh

I also have a belly, but this shouldn't be the cause of your back pain, at least it hasn't been for me. And, to your question, I would say that you will have lower back pain if you push it out too far. I know I had that problem in the beginning of this work. I kept pushing out my belly and tilting my hips forward, and I ended up with lower back pain from it. You can't force posture, but just work on the elements, as surviving described, and the posture should come gently on its own.
I feel that variety is the spice of life, so I don't just focus on one DVD, but rotate through first aid and the yoga DVDs. They all stretch and strengthen in little different ways, addressing the body chakras or sections in each. Also, the walking added to this really does help in Getting the body in proper positioning.
These things take time and everybody is different in how their body changes. Mine took awhile, but I have really felt the benefits in my hips and lower back through this work.
Work on it, but be gentle and patient with yourself.

I wanted to add that you also shouldn't lock your knees. This action also tilts the hips forward too much. Straight knees, but not locked.

Good advice. I too carry my extra pounds in my belly, and I agree that isn't the problem. But I notice you mention pulling the abdomen up. Maybe that's the source of your tension. The abdomen is pulled up, not in, by the combination of relaxed belly and lifted chest. Just like the lumbar curvature, the pulled-up abdomen (versus pulled-in) is something that happens on its own when the other elements of posture are there. I think if you try to do that particular thing consciously, there is a risk of overdoing. - Surviving

You ladies are soooo perceptive and a godsend! I focused all day on posture, eliminating most of the lower back pain. Tomorrow when I walk my mile I will be at it again. However, it paid off tonight at Line Dancing, easy low skill class, and I made it all the way!! Did have to adjust posture. Think that you have made excellent suggestions. I have them printed off and they will become a part of me.

Make it a good day. mjh

Sounds like fun, MJH. Glad these suggestions helped, sometimes just a little tweak is all it takes. Keep up the great work. - Surviving