discharge and bleeding

Body: 

New here. I have a severe POP, first noticed after the birth of my 4th child 14.5 years ago but not severe until I had a horrible chest cold three years ago. Occasionally, I've had spotting and extra discharge but now for the past two weeks I've had so much discharge and now bleeding I have to wear regular menstrual pads every day. I feel well otherwise, but wonder what could be causing this change. Might it be an infection? Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience. I just turned 60 years old and am 10 years post-menopause.

Hi teachermom,
I looked up bleeding after menopause and it was suggested that it could be the cause of polyps, thinning vaginal wall and dryness, problems with the lining of the uterus, and possibly cancer, but from what I read that is the least likely culprit. The site I read also said that you should make sure it is not coming from the rectum or bladder by putting a tampon in your vagina, and if it comes out clear, it is not coming from the vagina.
It also said that any post menopausal bleeding should be checked out by a doctor. Just remember to get all the facts while you are there, before making any drastic decisions. From what I read, most of the time, these things can be taken care of by simple procedures, as in the removal of polyps.
I don't know what Christine's take on this would be, and don't really know much about this myself, but maybe someone will come along with more information.
Best wishes to you.

Thank you, that is helpful. I wish I had a doctor I had confidence in but do not, so I won't go that route. I'm trying to understand what this could and how best to manage it on my own. I had an episode similar to this, though not nearly as severe, a little more than a year ago and it eventually cleared up.