New & Looking for Nauli Pointers

Body: 

Hello :-)

For those of you who don't want to/have time to read my intro, but have some advice for getting over my fear of letting go into Nauli, I'm all ears. I'm not sure I'm creating a vacuum and I find myself wanting to breath in as I try to move my stomach muscles. I'm definitely afraid to not breath in at that point. For the rest...

It was over seven years ago that I was told by my midwife that I had prolapse. I still remember the feeling I had after I heard her say something along the lines of, you have a cystocele and that's not bad, but a rectocele..."you don't want one of those". This might have been me reading too much into things, but I thought I picked up a little...and I don't really want this taken the wrong way because I really liked my midwife...glee...that she identified the prolapse. Like now she could refer me to the doctor she was working under and this would bode well for her. Anyway, she told me that eventually I would need to do something surgically to fix the situation, but that I could do Kegels in the meantime.

Well...I never went back to her. I did the Kegels she recommended for a couple of years and toyed with the idea of buying those weights that you put in your vagina. Never did buy them and because the Kegels were making my situation worse, I stopped them. Once I did my urinary symptoms were better and so I thought, I guess I'm all set. Ah...if I had only known then what I know now.

Two years ago, in the course of getting treated for Lyme disease, I learned about myofascial release and began treatment. It truly helped me feel better in my body and my therapist suggested I get some pelvic floor release work. I didn't take her up on it, but last June told her about the culmination of the "snapcracklepop" event (which she dubbed a release of an epicenter of myofascial tissue) that had me shaking with fear the night after it happened. Before I shared my story with her though, she had noticed that my hips had straightened out since the last time I saw her and I felt like I was on the right track, using a foam roller as my main source of home therapy and yoga.

The snapcracklepop event, spanned over a week and a half (maybe even longer as I didn't keep a journal about it) of my body's joints loosening and cracking and shifting and it was really weird and I considered going to the doctor while it was happening. But, I didn't have a complaint that I thought would make any sense to a doctor so I didn't go. I try to avoid doctors unless I absolutely need them. The "freeness" that I felt inside after this all happened felt really good, but it has come and gone over the months and I couldn't pin down the conditions that would lead to the free feeling.

Finally, I came upon this site not too long ago and I am so grateful that I did!!! I adopted the posture immediately and started experiencing improvement the very next day. I've been doing yoga for over 25 years at this point and love the calming effect it has on me so it's nice to know what positions I should avoid and the posture I should take when I'm in class. I also have Christine's yoga dvds and really enjoy the dance workout on First Aid for Prolapse :-)

Sometimes, I can circle into regret that I didn't know all of this sooner. I'm in my mid-forties and wish I had stumbled upon this a decade ago. But most of the time, I'm just so happy to feel more control over my situation. I've enjoyed reading the posts here and have learned a great deal and plan to hang around and continue learning. Thanks!

Forum:

Snapcracklepop,
Welcome and thank you for your story! So glad you found whole woman and that it is working out so well for you.
I think the thing with nauli is that it is like anything else, you just have to have the right moves and practice. I also think it is harder to achieve for some of us because you are holding in the exhale instead of the inhale. Big difference in my mind!
With that said, here is how you nauli: first do some firebreathing to get yourself ready for it, and then on the last exhale of the firebreath pull that belly button in while you are exhaling. Now you bring your belly up on the left, all the way around, coming down on the right. You just keep circling like this for as long as you can. I can only do about 6 or 5 rotations at this point.
Firebreathing and nauli can be very intense, but if done properly, you can really feel the benefits. Physiologically, I don't know how that is, but I know things just feel placed better inside,if that makes sense. I know my uterus always feel better placed, and even my bowels seem to work better. It's like your organs are all squished together and these actions create space or lightness in there. Hard to explain, but that is how I feel anyway.
Hope that is helpful.

Very interesting reading, thanks for sharing your story. You've touched on some things I don't know much about, but it is clear that the WW work has played an integral role in improving your life. All of us wish we had started younger, but we all jumped in where we could, and the results are invariably worth it. I'm sorry your midwife was not more help to you, but her ignorance where prolapse is concerned is quite typical. One hopes to get a more holistic approach from that camp, but obviously there is still a lot of work to be done in getting this message out.

I don't do Nauli because I find it a little tricky. I guess at some level I feel like I'm saving that move for a future time when maybe I need to step up my game. AG gives a very good description which I find helps me understand it better, as I've had some mental blocks about it up until now. You will find it covered pretty well in Yoga 3rd Wheel.

Thanks again for posting and please keep us updated on your progress. - Surviving

Thanks for responding Aging gracefully :-) I can really connect with the feeling of space & lightness you talked about. I'm not the best spatially so I think I get what you're saying with respect to the exercise. Will check in again in the near future after I work more with the fire breathing. So wanting those benefits!

Surviving, although she wasn't in the know about prolapse, my midwife did many things to give me a more holistic experience and I'm grateful for that. Oddly enough I went with an OB with my first child and my experience of her was that she had the soul of a midwife. I really got lucky there!

Thanks for responding and directing me to Yoga 3rd Wheel. I've done the first in the series, watched the second and will be heading off to view the third right now. Love that you're saving Nauli as a "secret weapon" of sorts :-)