Knee

Body: 

Hi, You were so helpful when I had lower back pain. I am coming to you again. Have been doing First Aid for Prolapse for about 3 months. Now I have terrific pain in one knee. Never had knee problems before! I do not lock my knees back. I am very careful to keep knee over foot.(love my Yoga and learned that). My feet are straight. I do not turn feet out too far. What else would I be doing incorrectly????

Thank you. Make it a good day. mjh

Forum:

I ended up really hurting my knee from getting too over zealous with those exercises, so just ease up on them a bit. Have you tried whole woman walking? It's always good to mix things up a little. I found that when my knee would start to hurt, I would lay off the exercises a few days and do the walking instead. It does take some time to get the body used to those turned out exercises. I can do all the DVDs now and the walking with no knee pain at all now, but it did take me time to build up to that level. No need to push it.

Aging gracefully-By walking are you referring to walking in WW posture? I do walk, but probably need to be more diligent about paying attention to raised chest. Slow walking, I am assuming?

Thank you, mjh

Walking is a great opportunity to pay attention to all the details of posture and work on them. Also, remember not to walk with feet turned out but straight forward. Doesn't have to be slow walking, just whatever pace is good for you and feels good. I vary mine by how far I am going.

In the absence of some pre-existing problem, I can't imagine the WW work being the cause of knee pain, especially if you are consciously doing your turnout correctly from the hips and keeping knees over toes. Aging Gracefully, what do you think was the caue of yours? Did you trace it to overdoing a particular exercise move? MJH, please remember that WW posture is for all the time, not just when you are working out. Review all the elements of posture and try to observe them throughout your day. The idea is to make this posture automatic. - Surviving

I was not used to the turned out exercises, and was really going at them quite vigorously. I did notice some knee pain when I was doing them and just ignored it. I ended up with such severe knee pain, I could hardly move it for two weeks. After that when I noticed knee pain while doing those exercises, I would ease up on them. It made all the difference for me.
I think it takes time, just like with any new exercise, for the body to get used to moving in a different way. So slowing down and easing into it made it easier for me.
The posture work itself wasn't painful. I had some lower back pain that I corrected by adjusting and paying closer attention to Christine's descriptions.
Going into this I did have problems with my right hip, So in the process of my hip adjusting, it could also have affected the knee. And being older of course plays a part. But, I think many women's bodies and hips have to adjust after years of slouching.
And my body did finally adjust to all of it. I haven't felt this good in years! I actually went on a 10 mile hike recently, in the woods, up and down hill. I would have never done that in the past. I have to thank the whole woman work for that!!

Be more vigilant! That will be my mantra. Thank you sooo much. MJ

It is not the exercise themselves that caused my knee pain. They were well thought out by Christine and work as long as you are paying attention to the details as she describes them throughout any of the DVDs. I just never did anything like that before, and needed to really slow it down. I was going at it like a Jane Fonda work out video, trying to keep up with the ladies and do the whole routine, when I should have been just doing parts of it at a time, which I ended up doing in the end any way. I just want newbies to know that prolapse management is not a race, but a slower more conscious development over time. And, posture is the outcome to all this. The posture is what helps the prolapse. The rest is just the tools to get there.

Absolutely agree with all of you. I had the same experience . My knees hurt when doing the exercises but I ignored the pain for a while because I was so desperate to do something to "cure" my prolapse. I ended up having difficulty walking and had to give up my dance class for several weeks. Now I only do some exercises and stop and relax the knees at the first hint of strain. For me that , together with the posture and fire breathing has been the way forward.
There is an awful feeling of panic when you first realise there is no 'quick fix' for prolapse but concentrating on the posture really does put you in control of your body again.

I had one bad knee for awhile, which was interfering with my walking. I absolutely know that it was not caused by overzealous WW workouts because I long ago stopped being overzealous about anything. The older we get, the longer it takes any kind of bump, bruise, strain or pain to go away. I favored this knee for awhile, to the best of my ability, and then I kind of forgot about it until this thread made me remember (it's fine now).

I've learned moderation in all things physical. I am a very healthy 64-year-old who cares for a 92-year-old mother who broke a hip several years ago with one careless twisty fall, and her life was forever changed. I think about this every time I walk down a flight of steps carrying a laundry basket, every time I go into a cluttered hallway without turning on a light....and I definitely don't exercise to the point of pain, unless I want to still be feeling that pain a month from now! - Surviving

Hi MJH,
Before WW I found among other symptoms, increasing knee pain when climbing stairs and also sometimes while sitting.
That stopped when doing the posture, and when I did the exercises, I found that I had to do everything very slowly - I could not keep the pace with the 1st wheel, so started with the hips DVD.

Attempting to sit cross - legged brought up left knee pain on the inner side of the knee, so I am very careful not to force this position. I have found that with stronger feet etc that sitting on my knees, with feet and lower legs underneath is easier, and now I can sit for short times cross legged, though prefer a looser position more sustainable at this time.
Christine did have a discussion somewhere which I will attempt to find later as this post will erase if I do it now, - along the lines of the knees are very affected by old posture habits, which contract, shorten the muscles, and the positions of the knees like using them to lift things, and not having them protected from these forces in positions where they are not over the 2nd and 3rd toes.

Creaking/ clicking joints...
I've tried researching clicking joints but can only find air in the joints explanation. I do realise that joints need mobility and dietary nourishment, in orderfor the body to make and distribute a natural lubricant in the joints, for them to function properly and am aware that posture, muscle length, strength and WWP do help, and I know that joint concussion is damaging ( now have relief from that thanks to WW).

My joints painlessly creak and can click a bit also, at other times I don't notice as much - I notice it more while concentrating on the exercises, though since doing the exercises, particularly my neck creaks less, and I can adjust and any clicking of joints is much less.
Does anyone have any further thoughts...
Thankyou - I do hope MJH that you get relief soon,

Aussie Soul Sister

I do remember that discussion, Aussie Soul Sister, but also can't remember where it was. It was a good one. I can also relate to what you are talking about the more painless creaking. I especially get those pops and noises in my knees during the first wheel yoga DVD, second part, where you bend knees, go up on toes and then come back down. It only happen the first couple of repetitions, but is never painful during or affects me negatively after.
There are also times when I am in the beginning of a bike ride, and in my groin just feels strangely tight. After a couple of rotations, there is a click, and I am all better for the rest of the ride.
Yes, we do need to pay attention very closely, especially as we get older, how different things feel.

I know during my first year of this work, I was more afraid to do things, even the walking was scary for me, but I kept at the posture work, exercises, and other tools. It was a slow moving process for me, but by the time a year came around, I was starting to feel stronger, started walking further, started riding further, did more hikes in the woods.
This second year, I have really been pushing the boundaries of prolapse, because I know I have those tools to rely on, if I end up feeling like I did before. But that hasn't been the case. I can manage this so much more easily now. I prove that a woman with a profound uterine prolapse doesn't have to sit in a chair and wish only if. I do it, everyday. I amaze myself, everyday. And this is only because of this work that I can do that. Sorry on a tangent. Lol!
What's that old saying? If you don't move it, you lose it. I believe that's true, but just be careful in the moving, of course!

Hi Dear Aging gracefully,
It is a slow process and I am noticing a difference between now and even a few years ago with getting older. Things ache a bit more in general, a good reminder to keep on going...
Having said that, I now like you are able to adapt and try things as we are strong enough and well equipped with WW tools - I have days where I feel like the exercises are going to be more difficult to do and then am surprised at how much I can do and how strong I am.
Other days I do less....I try to at least have a walk with the bird like arm and pumping exercises....I could barely do the Hips DVD chair arm exercises with 1kilo weights and am on my way now with 3 kilos. One great benefit is how strong my hands and fingers have become just from hanging onto, and holding up the weights - so great for everyday tasks, and I have better, stronger upper body WW posture..
I have a goal now to do some WW running - just need minimalist shoes, though have done some barefoot and with socks on in my back garden /lawn...whatever works! LOL...We have some very hard seed pods on the grass at the moment...
You are an inspiration, Aging with how you manage your prolapse, and yes - if you don't move/use it you lose it, is something I am more mindful of now than ever before...knowing that exercise lubricates and helps blood circulate in the joints, or they can stiffen and dry up is incentive enough.....

Lovely that you enjoy bike riding....you must be very pleased and can be very proud of yourself that you have done the work and now can do many activities - thank you for all your help here and for your example for what can be achieved with profound prolapse...
All the best to you,
Aussie Soul Sister

Thanks Soul Sis for this reminder. Those of us with our annoying uncomfortable puffy 'celes do not really understand the challenges of trying to keep a big heavy uterus inside. The fact that this can be done with diligent effort and commitment, as demonstrated daily by Aging Gracefully, is what really proves how remarkable this work is. Look what Christine did, when an unfortunate surgery left her with a profoundly prolapsed uterus. Instead of succumbing to more surgery, she saved herself and the rest of us so that we could live on and learn to love our bodies again without fear. Would a few 'celes have triggered this massive monumental discovery? Gotta wonder! We owe our deepest gratitude and awe to those who are working daily to manage a really profound prolapse and show us it can be done. I get a little impatient at times when newbies think their lives are over and need to be told "your 'celes can be managed!". It's all I can do sometimes not to scream "You don't know how lucky you are, so just get to work already!" OK, that's my vent for the day. Thanks Aging Gracefully for the daily example you give us. - Surviving

Christine, along with Louise, Fab, and wholewomanUK were my inspiration to stick with with this work. These women all suffering uterine prolapse gave me the confidence to really give this work a try. The uterine prolapse is not as prevalent as the other prolapses, so I really didn't know what to expect, and these ladies were always really honest with me that the outcome I was looking for was going to take some time, and they also let me know that good things really do come to those who wait, in whole woman posture, of course!
I am sad that Christine had to suffer prolapse in order to develop this work, and I am so thankful that she had the insight to do it. Thank you always Christine!!

I found this little gem in the archives with Christine explaining the turned out exercise:

https://wholewoman.com/forum/node/5412

Great stuff, just wanted to share.

Hi Aging,
Thankyou for that thread - very timely! A priceless gem indeed!
I have read it in the past, however it is very relevant to me right now with hip turnout etc.
Something I need to work on to take healing and fitness to a new level.
I appreciate this so much,
Aussie Soul Sister