Dilemma

Body: 

I have a hiatal hernia which gives me issues from time to time. I have noticed as I am trying to do some of the floor work, it irritates the hernia. Standing posture seems to pull things down by relaxing the belly which helps, but then some of the floor exercises are pulling things up, which is good for prolapse, bad for hernia. so I am not sure what to do. I also wanted to ask how we are to keep posture while bending, stooping, or squatting? Any suggestions?

Forum:

Hi Mysterymom,

I want to help you understand that all organs that move fluids and solids through and out of the body sit at right angles to their channels. These angles (think kinks in a garden hose) create passive sphincter mechanisms, so the flow is slowed down and controlled.

When you are in WW posture, your stomach is sitting forward and at right angle to the esophagus. When the stomach is chronically pulled in, it comes into line with the esophagus, making you subject to gastric reflux and hiatal hernia. HH occurs when part of the stomach is literally sucked up the pipe.

This is a chronic condition that will heal over time if you bring your stomach, liver, intestines, bladder and uterus forward of their channels. For now, skip the exercises that pull the abdominal wall in (firebreathing, pelvic rocks and circles). Add these to your repertoire as you are able.

When bending, keep one long line from crown of head to tailbone. Use the strength of your buttocks and backs of your thighs. I don’t know what you mean by stooping, but as we move through stooped positions throughout the day, we try not to stay habitually slumped. The pelvic organ support system is a postural system, they are one and the same. Squatting is excellent exercise, particularly for strengthening the arches of your feet. Stay up on your toes during a full squat and keep WW posture from head to tailbone.

Wishing you well,

Christine

Thanks for responding, that makes great sense. By stooping I meant just the natural bending and twisting movements throughout the day. I was concerned about squatting as opposed to bending at the waist to pick things up etc. Squatting seems like it spreads things out down there and applies more pressure, so I wasn't sure if we should squat routinely. I'm glad to hear you say the HH will heal over time, as it has caused so many issues, I believe, with my ears and reflux, and digestion related issues. Of course like prolapse, the doctors response is surgery. It's funny you mentioned "when the stomach is chronically pulled in", right before I found whole woman, I had realized how much I was holding my stomach high and up. When I learned the basic posture, I felt a sense of calmness as I really concentrated on relaxing the belly. I still am working on this and will catch myself with my belly high and puled in. Then I take a deep breath and relax. I also had been suffering from bile reflux, which goes along with your explanation above. It was so painful at times. I believe it has really started to heal as a result of this posture as well. Also I have read a lot where removal of the uterus can cause prolapse, but what about removal of one ovary? Just trying to come up with reasons why things are prolapsing around here!

In the first wheel yoga DVD, Christine does have us doing a full squat to the floor, one with knees together, and at the end with legs wide apart. As long as posture is maintained, this shouldn't be a problem. I remember being very afraid to squat in the beginning of this work also, but not anymore.

I have had a recent "aha" moment regarding this, safelyheld. I was thinking of cultures where the women maintain their lumbar curve, African, Hindi, Fijian, etc. In these cultures, women's work is at ground level. Cooking fires, grinding grain, fetching water, gathering wood, weaving, nursing children. Obviously, as CK has stated many times, seated posture and squatting as you described are supportive. My "aha" however is this -- these women are *getting up and down* off the ground many times a day, and most often bearing weight whilst doing so -- pot of water on the head, load of firewood high on the back, or toting an infant or toddler. It takes a lot of thigh and buttock strength to do this -- this is what helps build our true female core and supports us all the more in maintaining a lumbar curve! Think how little we get up and down off the ground in western culture, weakening this core while spending lots of time trying to develop the abdominal "core". An overdeveloped abdomen and underdeveloped glutes and thighs -- no wonder our bodies are pulled out of whack. So, for myself, I am trying to practice more getting up and down from the ground when cleaning, getting things out of cupboards or washing machines, etc. I pull up into posture and do a big belly breath and use my thighs and butt. I love the WW seated postures, but think that the process of getting into and out of them is just as important to support prolapse stabization and reversal.

Love that, bad mirror!

Yes, great post and excellent advice. Thanks!

i had an "aha" moment of my own over the weekend. A few times a year my family provides me a respite break from my normal caregiving duties, and I've been a bit "off" and under the weather for this one. So against my better judgment, I spent practically all of yesterday slouched against big pillows in my bed, reading and messing about on a laptop, in about the worst conceivable posture you can picture. Boy am I paying the price. Back hurts and 'celes are trying to make their big escape! Back to work today. We all need these periodic reminders of why we must do this work, now and forever! - Surviving