progesterone cream

Body: 

I have been suspecting some of my symptoms to be related to a hormone imbalance. I did lose an ovary, and we were designed with 2 for a reason. I was thinking of trying some natural progesterone cream. However I am afraid to make things worse. Anyone have experience with this. I had my levels checked at my GYN's, which came back normal. I also realize that sometimes their "normal" levels really aren't normal. Wondering what the general theory was about this around here. I searched but didn't find much. Maybe didn't search the right words...

Hi mysterymom,
I did use a progesterone cream from the local health food store a few years ago when I was first noticing some of my perimenopausal symptoms. I was having a lot of flushing in my face and just feeling generally out of sorts. I think it may have helped some, but I don't know if that was a placebo affect or not.
But, when my symptoms worsened, I just studied up on all this hormonal shifting, and found that my diet was where I should concentrate my efforts. Over time, I cut out alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and anything that had hormones. It took me awhile to calm everything down, walks and whole woman helped a lot in my journey. I am still in perimenopause, but better. I have a drink or caffeine once in awhile, but I don't try to push it too much.
Some people think that progesterone cream or the wild yam cream help, but the jury is still out on that for me. I don't know if it was really worth the money I spent on it.

I was having endometrial issues in my 30's and the Gyno stated that I should try a progesterone pill. So I filled the prescription (BIG MISTAKE). Within 10 days I had NO sensation in my vagina and could not have an orgasm. I stopped the pills immediately. The symptoms reversed over several weeks. It was an arduous period of time. When I returned for the follow-up visit, I explained the symptoms to my Gynecologist. She gave me a sheepish look and said; "I know what it does, but did not think it would matter". What an IDIOTIC RESPONSE!

That's the first time I have heard of progesterone having any affect on the body. Was it perhaps a strong dose of the stuff?

We've shared a few memorable doctor quotes on this forum, but that one has to rank up near the top! Thanks Salvage for making my day. - Surviving

I recall my mother saying; "One man's food is another man's poison". The medication was a prescribed dosage and the doctor stated that she was aware of the ramifications, but chose not to disclose these until I offered up a complaint. This taught me to ask about side effects beforehand.

Well, I think it's especially heinous that she assumed your sex life didn't matter!!! What the heck? - Surviving

In my opinion society does not understand the physiological need that females have for sexual pleasure. Nor does it value its importance outside the venue of procreation. Why is it that women who visit a physician for the purpose of discussing pelvic prolapse are recommended to have a hysterectomy? My physician stated; "After all, you're not going to have any more children are you?" When I told my significant other about the Gynecologist's suggestion he said; "You should have told him that you'll have your uterus out as soon as he has his testicles removed. After all, he's not planning on fathering anymore children is he?"

HI Mystermonof7

I had the 'natural' yam progesterone cream a few years ago and it has huge effects on me. Not good. It made me feel crazy and I got really bad insomnia. I had it through my pregnancy with my first as they told me without it I would be high risk for a prem baby. They also said I would not get pregnant without it but I actually got pregnant the month I stopped it. (I then went back on). During my pregnancy I did not get symptoms but I did when not pregnant. It took me time to link them to the cream. That was 5 years ago.

I had my second baby with no problems not on it.

The company that prescribed it (using salivary testing) had not had anyone with my experience and didn't want to know. I was quite well read on it but probably only the positive bits and was swayed by the natural element.

I was only having the very lowest dosage too and only rubbing it on my skin!!

I lost a lot of weight but was just anxiety on steriods.

I don't think there has been any long term effects so you could always try it but just watch for side effects.

So glad you have such a supportive partner. That's one to remember if in similar situation. Best of luck to you!

I'm a 63 yr old who's been on progesterone cream for years and have been wondering if anyone has information about 15 mg of P4 progesterone mixed in with frankincense, cedarwood, bergamot, peppermint, rosewood & cloves essential oils? Do the oils help the progesterone to be absorbed better or are those oils helpful with other aspects of hormonal health?

Lillian

The second most common form of breast cancer begins in the progesterone receptor of the breast. Progesterone production stops at menopause, and stimulation of progesterone receptors in older women is courting serious disease. The Women’s Health Initiative clearly showed that supplemental estradiol plus progestin caused much higher rates of breast cancer than estrogen alone. Progesterone is a dangerous steroid hormone, not a vitamin or nutrient.