Urethral prolapse

Body: 

Just got diagnosed by my nurse practitioner as having a Urethral prolapse. Crap! What next?! At least she didn't advise surgery although I have to admit I really wanted a quick fix. Came home and did some research and found my way to this site.

It sounds like what I have is related to all the other issues you all are discussing. Is this true?
I had a hysterectomy over 10 years ago. Is this related?

I ordered the book and hope it can do some good ( I mean inspire me to take care of my health).
What else can I do, I'm upset about this.

Thanks for all your comments

Hi Best bets and welcome. You don't mention the reason for your hyst, but yes, prolapse of other organs is one of the common results. The Whole Woman postural work is for everyone, but you do need to be aware that the uterus and the round ligaments attached to it are important in learning to hold the organs forward. You may not be able to achieve the same degree of prolapse stabilization as a wombed woman. And you must also be careful and kind to yourself and not overdo with the work. Here is an article for you to check out:
https://wholewoman.com/blog/?p=1420

Keep reading, there is so much information on the site, forum, and blog. There is no cure for prolapse, surgical or otherwise. Post-hyst, you are at risk of a vaginal vault prolapse and you most likely have some sutures or repairs designed to help prevent this. So work gently. - Surviving

Thank you, Surviving60,
Your words of encouragement meant a lot to me. I'm in my 60's too. I'll read the article you suggested. I'm gathering that having a hysterectomy puts me at another disadvantage :(.

I had a lot of fibroids in my uterus and when I was talked into taking hrt I started bleeding (apparently that happens sometimes with fibroids). I stopped taking the hrt but made the uninformed decision to have the hyst.

I am amazed that pop is so common and not talked about! I think doctors want to help woman but it's true the medical field is so much about money and comes primarily from a male perspective. I have a pretty good woman nurse practitioner who specializes in women's health but she's mainstream medical all the way. But she did not recommend surgery.

My husband said he was relieved that I didn't have anything worse but I'm so upset I just snapped at him, saying " what could be worse?! " My rational mind knows I'm just going through the initial stage of being freaked out but I even had a bad dream last night (very rare for me).

I was already not very interested in sex and now I'm wondering if the undiagnosed prolapse beginning had something to do with that. I had hoped I would eventually get back into it but I'm worried this pop ends it for good.

So, just waiting for the book to arrive, should I order the DVD? Should I start power walking? Should I not jump on the rebounder? Should I not ride a bike?

Thanks your help,
Normally more rational,
Bb

It is true that this approach of returning to natural female posture works best on women who still have the uterus as the "hub of the wheel". We are aiming to hold the organs forward in the relaxed lower belly so they aren't pressing into the vaginal space. The empty space and skeletal changes brought on after hyst (which happens slowly over time) are indeed very conducive to prolapse of the other organs and the vaginal vault as well. So you need to take it gently. All of us, whether or not we still have a uterus, are doing this work all the time. It isn't something that you can "fix and forget".

Did you ever notice changes in sexual desire after your hysterectomy? That is quite common and not surprising since a hormone-responsive sex organ has been removed and the length and elasticity of the vagina compromised. Prolapse in itself usually does not affect sex unless you let it interfere with your mental and emotional response, as many women will who are new to the experience and feeling self-conscious about it. If there is any discomfort, a little extra lubrication and possibly a change of position should help.

Learn WW posture, and then you can walk and bike the WW way. And you cannot go wrong with any purchase from Christine's body of work. Think about it and keep reading here - Surviving

Surviving60,
I really appreciate your information. I didn't notice decreased sexual desire right after hysterectomy, it was a couple of years later and gradually became very apparent. Many year later I really lost interest with menopausal dryness. we used creams but the padding was also gone so it was uncomfortable. I'm now trying to keep an open mind about my sexual future.
Observation: I was driving in my car and noticed a bearing down feeling. I tried to relax my belly and tighten my vaginal muscles at the same time. Sort of like a half kegel. I keep reading where kegels don't work but this relieved that uncomfortable sensation. Maybe helps urethral prolapse?

Anyway, I'm getting my battle plan together:

Body work: ordered WW book and dvd, looked up mayan massage person; will contact my chiropractor (a woman, thankfully); taking soothing bathes, rethinking wardrobe;

Mental work: having sessions with my co-listening partners (this brought up a lot of feelings!); trying to send positive messages "down there"

Food health: already gluten free but going to increase anti inflammatory diet;

Overall health: made appointment with acupuncturist;

Exercise: will know more after I read WW book

Herbal therapy: I've been researching but I'm sure my health care providers will recommend these.

I want to stay positive but at the same time not deny how this is affecting me.
Love all your posts! They matter! Bb

Ever heard of The Plan anti inflammatory diet? It is very good Lynn-Genet is excellent at what she does.
Karin

BestBets, I like your plan and I think you will succeed. We all work with what we have, and attitude is huge. We can't live in fear of the future, we need to wake up every day and know that we are OK and that we are worth the effort to treat ourselves well. Keep us posted on the journey, we are always here! - Surviving

love this survivor!! Thank you....hugs, karin

Thanks Karin,
I'm going to look it up. I appreciate all the resource info I can get. You all make me feel like I'm not alone.
Bb

Surviving60, your wise words are heard. I'm so glad for this forum and all the stories, info and encouragement. Thanks again, I'll check in on how it goes.
Bb

Well, I've been quite busy, my latest activity was a visit to a urologist. She told me I have a bladder prolapse, not a urethral prolapse. Even tho I'm stage 3 she said I am emptying my bladder fine and did not recommend surgery (not that I would have done it, but it gave me more confidence in her). She also said the discomfort with sex was due to other factors, not the prolapse. Hmmm

Since I have been worried that I might get UTIs I was relieved that my bladder was emptying. Some of my ability to fully empty my bladder is due to Christine's technique, thank you very much.

I also have stage 1 rectocele. Dang!

I have been doing my WW exercises every morning, I haven't built up to the last 2 advanced workouts but I actually look forward to hearing Christine's soothing voice on the DVD. Thank you again!

I have been seeing a Mayan massage person and she helped take away some of the ache I was having inside my pelvic area. She also helps me relax.
I've been doing some walking and that actually helps (attitude too).

I've just about cut out all refined sugar and cut way down on flour(even tho I'm gluten free I was using a lot of alternative flours which I think didn't help my bowels.) I've started taking magnesium powder which I've heard helps with elimination. Plan to drink more water.

The acupuncture didn't do much but I haven't ruled it out.
I'm getting better with my WW posture, at first sitting cross legged was hard but I'm getting more flexible. It's wonderful how this old body can still respond.

I've been advised more than once to go see a pelvic floor physical therapist but I keep thinking they'll tell me to do kegels and I might pop them in the nose. Actually, my chiropractor said that and I was able to tell her about Christine and showed her the book. She seemed receptive so maybe it's possible to educate care givers and not attack. But truly, I am so tried of hearing "do kegels!"
I kind if want to do a phone consult with Christine but I'm afraid she'll give me bad news about my future having had a hysterectomy. I'm hoping there will be a WW practitioner in my area soon.
Great to read your stories!
Bb

Hi Bb - it sounds to me like you are doing great. The posture work is so important for all of us, whether with or without a uterus. With hyst in your past, you do need to be gentle on yourself with the work. Keep in mind that it is the posture that we use as we go throughout our day, that is the most important thing. Make it a habit (this takes time). Training your body to maintain posture as much as possible all day long, coupled with a lot of WW posture walks in nice comfy shoes and socks, is your "best bet". Working your way up to advanced workouts needn't necessarily be the goal. It's what we do as we go about our day that makes the most impact. Keep up the great work and keep us posted! - Surviving

Surviving60, thank you once again for your encouragement. I do try to stay in WW posture but it's not always easy. When I walk alone I say a little chant to myself, "stand up straight, relax your stomach. Relax your shoulders," etc...
I appreciate the sentiment when you say be gentle with yourself, but I have to admit, it sounds a bit ominous. Do you see my future as doomed because of the hysterectomy? Does it help to spend a lot of time on hands and knees?
Thank you!
Bb

We can't know exactly what type of procedure was done to you, and there could be sutures supporting the vaginal vault that you do not want to dislodge. A vaginal vault prolapse is in fact one of the possible after-effects of hyst that would not be experienced by someone having a uterus. So most hysterectomies these days are performed with that in mind, to anchor the top of the vagina. And there are skeletal changes that happen gradually after hyst that could make the posture work less comfortable if you were to throw yourself into it too hard.

Being on hands and knees relieves symptoms and you can get a feel for what the object of WW posture really is - to get the organs into the lower belly and try to keep them there. It's more challenging without the "heavy lifter" of the uterus and the around ligaments that are attached, but you need to work towards it. - Surviving

Surviving60 once again I thank you for taking the time to explain what's happening to me and offer support. My best to you