Standing for long periods at work

Body: 

I have a Stage 3 cystocele as well as other prolapses. I have just had a new desk installed at work that raises so that I can stand if I have to at those times when sitting on my prolapse at work is more than I can bear. I am attempting to stay in posture while standing and working. Are there any rules that you are aware of for standing for long periods? Feet in 1st position? One in front of the other? Any suggestions?

Forum:

I think your suggestions are right on. A bit of turnout while standing is a good idea, and you can alternate which foot is in front (more like a 3rd position than a 1st, perhaps). Just experiment. - Surviving

Hi daisy,
So wonderful to hear about your new desk. I have been hearing about the new ergonomics in the work place that includes more standing, and how lucky you are to have options now.
It has been becoming more apparent that our bodies were meant to be on the move instead of constantly sitting around in soft furniture. Hopefully more businesses will adopt these ideas! I can't really add anything to surviving's advice; that is pretty much how Christine describes it, but I just wanted to say how happy I am for you.

yes, Aging gracefully, it is such a relief! I think that employers are becoming aware of the benefits of letting employees do something besides sit in a chair for many hours everyday staring at a computer. I was expecting a lot of questions from my coworkers and was worried about what I was going to tell them. It's so very personal...what I wasn't prepared for was my co-workers envy that I could stand and they are not able to. It could get expensive! haha

I think I have missed something. So it is well known that prolonged sitting is not good for prolapse. How did you go with requesting this special desk? Just doctors certificate? We all here sometimes get so anxious with long sitting hours and then just stand and lean to type on comp, just making some space for legs to stretch.
I have also bloating problem, and legs swelling. And also have feet cramps - so that's all around pelvis and long sitting makes all these problems. I am glad it is recognised for prolaps. I have these problems even I am off bread, sugar, dairy (trying to be high raw vegan, but still have cooked vegan meals). We can't ignore posture and movements. Thanks for sharing, what do I google for this furniture? Btw at my work we are not approved balls as chairs.

Prolonged sitting is not good for many health reasons, but if you can sit in WW posture, I don't think that sitting is a major culprit in prolapse management. The trick is to be in a good position to be able to maintain lumbar curvature. Most of us manage to achieve that with cushions and wedges even if the chair itself is not ideal. Few of us have the luxury of an employer who will buy us special furniture. If yours will, then go for it....you will have to ask them what they require in the way of a doctor's note. Meanwhile, make the best of your situation, and get up and move around in posture as often as you can.

I think that standing at a raised desk would pose its own issues. Prolonged standing (as opposed to moving around) isn't necessarily better than sitting in posture. And there would be a tendency to have to reach out over your work, making it harder to maintain posture. But I admit that I have never tried standing to work. I'd think it would be similar to standing at the sink doing dishes. Depending on the height of your sink, it can be hard to maintain posture.

If you do convince them to get you a new desk, be sure and go somewhere that lets you try it out first. Unless you have a VERY understanding employer, assume that once you get it, you're stuck with it. - Surviving

I actually saw a news program where they had these desks in an office, and they are much higher than a counter top. But, I agree, I don't think i would want to be standing all day from a prolapse perspective. Would be nice if you could alternate between sitting and standing. Wouldn't it be cool if they had desks that easily adjusted up and down. Someone will come up with something, I am sure. There are always changes going on out there.

Well, all I really have that I didn't before are legs to my table that lift the table up with an electric button. I can still sit but now I have the option of sitting or standing. The nice thing about it is that it's at elbow height and so its like standing at a bar, kind of. The only thing missing is the drink, ha ha. It wasn't terribly expensive but it has made a world of difference. It's high enough that I can stand in posture and then when I get tired I can sit down as the legs of the table go up and down. It's just so nice not to be sitting when my prolapse is trying to have the best of me.

Surviving, could you explain me what is exactly the third position mentioned in this thread of yours?
" A bit of turnout while standing is a good idea, and you can alternate which foot is in front (more like a 3rd position than a 1st, perhaps). Just experiment. - Surviving"
It's embarassing that I still don't know this...I know it is on the first aid for prolapse video, and I am sure I do this position while exercising, but I can't catch it when Christine says this so I can't repeat it deliberetly during the day. I hope you understand my explanation...
I can sit in crossed legged wich helps a lot during my work (I must sit 8 hours a day), but when standing it is still very bad for me even when I am trying to do my best in WW posture. I am still not able to learn properly the standing posture.

Budha, we were just referring to ballet positions. Here is a link with some pictures:
http://www.danceclass.com/ballet-positions.html

Thank you Surviving :)

Christine uses these quite a bit in First Aid for Prolapse, do you have it? - Surviving

Yes, I have it!

Then buda, you need to go get it and watch the Dictionary of Movements section of the DVD, where Christine describes at length all the ballet positions and why they are such important tools for prolapse management. She uses them extensively throughout the workouts on this DVD, so if you are unfamiliar, you won't completely understand her instructions. - Surviving