Rectocele acting up after a long time

Body: 

I went to Spain in October and after the multiple hour flight, I noticed that things were painful. I contributed the problem in having to move heavy luggage, etc., which is a "no no" for rectocele which was diagnosed in 2009. I was wearing some comfy, but slightly tight jeans. A month later I was still having a "funny" feeling. In January it was diagnosed as a UTI. However, although I am on my second round of antibiotics, I still feel the rectal/vaginal pressure. Would having a UTI affect pelvic organ prolapse? I have been slightly constipated (not enough to splint), but the whole area from front to back is sensitive. Any theories or suggestions? I am 60 and have been menopausal for 8 years.

Hi tidbits,
It is not unusual for prolapse symptoms to come back, even after a long time without them, especially if you are doing something like lugging baggage around an airport. Set backs are just part of having prolapse, and for some of us a good chance to go back and check to make sure we are practicing our posture as best we can. I know when I have set backs, I also like to get in a good amount of jiggling and firebreathing sessions also.
I see you have been with us a long time. I was just wondering if you have any of the materials from this site. Going back over the book or dvds is also a good way to get yourself back on track again.
If you are having recurrent UTIs you may want to make sure you are completely emptying your bladder by leaning forward slightly off the seat of the toilet or going on all fours in the shower. Stale urine left in the bladder does tend to cause those UTIs to happen more often.
Wishing you the best.

Tidbits,

I have a Cystocele (bladder prolapse). At least that is what the gyn told me it was when I was diagnosed a few years back. I have always been prone to UTI's both before my prolapse and since. Having bladder prolapse doesn't help the situation re UTI's. Just a fact of life. Certain hormonal changes in women after menopause can also MIMIC UTI symptoms. I know that for a fact as it's happened to me. That's why when I feel those symptoms coming on (burning, irritation) I get myself checked out just to make sure because if it is a UTI then it's back to the Cipro again (can't tolerate other antibiotics). However, there were quite a few times when I had the same symptoms and after the usual urine culture, was told there was no infection. That's when I know it's probably post-menopausal hormonal stuff. If you don't want to use an estrogen cream such as Premarin, many people on this forum recommend using raw local honey instead for vaginal comfort. Keep well.

About a month ago, I was able to put what was hanging out back in and it stayed like that for about a month, now I notice that It is coming out more and I'm having trouble putting it back in. I was wondering if I could lay with my legs against the wall and maybe that would force it to go into it's place. Any help would be appreciated.

We can't really tell from this post, what you have been doing for the last few years to manage your rectocele. Have you trained your body to maintain WW posture pretty much all the time? That's the key, and there are other tools in the toolbox, as AG says. Adopt correct posture, jiggle and firebreathe regularly, watch diet and avoid straining. There really isn't a cure for this, but there is management and stabilization. When I first started this work, I dabbled for awhile and then some family issues got in the way of my concentration. When my rectocele worsened, I realized it was time to give this work 100% of my effort and commitment. Just let us know what you are doing now to manage this, and maybe we will have some additional suggestions. - Surviving

Hi Senior Barbie - Do you know what this something is? If it's soft and squishy, it a cystocele and/or rectocele (bladder and/or bowel prolapse). If it's tough and muscular with a dimple in the middle, it's your uterus that's prolapsed and that's your cervix doing peek-a-boo. The legs on the wall thing won't really do much, you would be better down on elbows and knees with your organs hanging in the lower belly, which is basically what the Whole Woman work is all about. Have a look around the site. - Surviving

I'm very new at this--I'm just trying to see if I'm doing the right type of exercise and to see if it's okay to try and put whatever it is back up in my body. My insides was very dry and my hand was too-so that didn't feel too good. Would the WW book show how to maintain the posture? Or would it be better for me to get the dvd. I have a friend that just had surgery and she wouldn't recommend it.

Hi senior Barbie,
Getting the book Saving the Whole Woman is going to give you all the information you need to let you know what is happening to you as well as what to do about it. The dvds are a great addition to the book with exercise routines and additional information to help you along.
In the meantime, a good read around this site would give you a great amount of initial information to get a better understanding of what you are going through.
No amount of shoving on your prolapse is going to make it better, and that includes the profound uterine prolapse that I and some other women have. Yes, we do give it a shove up, but that is followed by jiggling, firebreathing, and standing in strong whole woman posture afterwards.
This is a process that takes time to learn and develop for each of us, so take your time with this, and come back and ask your questions as you go along.

thanks for your reply. I appreciate you giving me your input

Surviving, could you explain what you mean by having a ''dimple'' in the middle?

sevilla

Dimple = opening to the cervix.

Aging gracefully, what do you mean by jiggling? I know the WW stuff, just not sure which jiggling you are referring to...

Re UTI's, E-coli bacteria can respond really well to D-Mannose. I take it daily as a preventative now, as I have developed pelvic pain + "interstitial cystitis like symptoms." i'm learning a lot f causes of pelvic / bladder pain + UTI like feeling, including all the irritants in food which is different for each of us, plus hormones, plus stress...
but Sevilla do check out D Mannose. also a prolapse doesn't have to mean more UTI's. leaning forwards and lifting your bum in the air once you pee, to fully empty your bladder, helps to clear it out. or peeing on all fours in the shower. then your bladder falls into place, and you can pee completely to really clear it out at least once a day. that might help.

Hi Kiki,
If you remember Fab, she came up with this movement. You just bend over touching a chair or even the floor, and then jiggle, shake, or even jump up and down to get the organs moving more forcefully into the lower belly. Followed by firebreathing, it can really help. This has always worked wonderfully for my uterine prolapse.

Did you get my email Kiki?