Smears with prolapse

Body: 

Hi i have posted before about the problem of having a smear with a 3rd degree prolapse. I went for regular smears at my local docters surgery and saw the same nurse in fact she said smears with a prolapse was easier because you dont need a speculum. However when i went for my last one that nurse had left the docters,i saw two nurses who seemed to have no idea how to do a smear on me.it left me dreading my next one that is due now. I would like to know if it is possible to get yourself removed from the smear register i have read you can sign a disclaimer form. It makes me think are nurses trained to do smears on patients with prolapse. I am in the uk and be very interested if anyone has suffered this. Would be very grateful of any replies.

Hi trumper,
My last Pap smear was right before I discovered my severe prolapse, but I think I must have been at least a stage 2 at the time, because she only put the speculum up half way. Funny I didn't question that at the time. I haven't been back for one since then, but have thought about it off and on. I know the risks decrease dramatically as you get older, but there is always the what ifs.
I really don't have an answer for you, I just wanted to let you know I have empathy for your situation. It's embarrassing enough to have a Pap smear, but to have it compounded with your cervix sitting right there is just disconcerting.
If I was braver, I would say, to the one preformingi it, this is just the way it is, deal with it!

I had my last one at age 58. At that time, I was getting a number of tests done, and it had been many years since I'd had one, so I did. I'm almost 65 now, and I doubt that I will get another one. That's my personal choice; I am aware the risk declines with age, and I just don't go to any doctors for anything, if I can help it.

I know there is a different protocol in the UK and it is probably not so easy to just opt out. If you decide to have one, I hope that you get a nurse who knows her way around prolapse; it's not exactly a rare condition after all.... - Surviving

I am in the UK and am now in my mid sixties. When I was about 52 ( had never heard about prolapse but felt something had changed in that area!) I had a painful smear test. The nurse struggled and told me there was something wrong with me. I was a busy working mother ,very active and normally very healthy so I booked to c the dr. He did an internal exam and reassured me that all was normal for my age and having had 2kids. I never had another smear and at that time had no trouble declining the test as the nurses were always over booked ! I decided that any risk was very low for me personally and the NHS cannot compel u to have tests,only offer them. I just said thanks but no thanks and it was never held against me. I also feel quite strongly re xrays as they are not beneficial for the body but I guess we all have to weigh up the pros and cons and make our own decisions for our own bodies based on our age ,experience , knowledge and family history.I am glad I made the decision to come to this web site and I hope you find the help you need. Good luck with it all.